• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&B 5-20US or Zcomp 4-20 - 6.5 CRDMR Gas Gun

13ARC

-
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2022
USA
Gentlemen -

I am seeking some feedback from current and or previous owners of the S&B 5-20 US and Zcomp 4-20’s specifically as they relate to gas guns.

I have a Zcomp 5-27 I use on my 2 bolt guns and love it, but am in the market for a short scope with 20x for my new 6.5 CRDMR gas gun. I have narrowed it down to the two scopes mentioned above. I do prefer the reticle on the Zcomp, as I very much like the MPCT-3X over just about anything I have ever looked through. I don’t have experience with S&B’s new ultra shorts at all, or the MSR2 reticle that has received so much favorable feedback here. The gun will primarily be used as a range toy and for matches; rifle in question is a KAC SR-25. Your thoughts are appreciated.

There is only one choice, ZCO!
If you have 527, this 420 model would be a spot on for your gas gun, and it is not long neither.
4Z9.JPG

For gas guns without a monolithic rail, having a cantilever scope mount is pretty much a requirement. I had the same decision (same rifle) and went with the 3-20 US because I wanted the low end mag. With the ZCO you are limited to only a couple options for 36mm tubes and with the 5-20 US assuming you want illumination there are only a couple options as well. With this setup I was barely able to get the eye relief I wanted and the LOP is already longer then I typically run.

Regarding DT II+ turrets, they feel great, but unlocking them is a lot slower then the old MTC or ZCO turrets. I also couldn’t move the scope as far forward on the mount as I wanted to because I needed clearance to the Raptar rail to throw the locking lever.

23F4DB40-89E2-4B7D-B5E0-457A98D150A4.jpeg

For gas guns without a monolithic rail, having a cantilever scope mount is pretty much a requirement. I had the same decision (same rifle) and went with the 3-20 US because I wanted the low end mag. With the ZCO you are limited to only a couple options for 36mm tubes and with the 5-20 US assuming you want illumination there are only a couple options as well. With this setup I was barely able to get the eye relief I wanted and the LOP is already longer then I typically run.

Regarding DT II+ turrets, they feel great, but unlocking them is a lot slower then the old MTC or ZCO turrets. I also couldn’t move the scope as far forward on the mount as I wanted to because I needed clearance to the Raptar rail to throw the locking lever.

View attachment 7904198

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, you make some excellent points. That rifle is a stunner!

Depending on the scope, he may be able to get away with a standard (non cantilever) mount on a large frame. Cantilever is definitely mandatory on a small frame.

Between those two options, I like the ZCO mainly for reticle and FoV. Tree reticle and large FOV help multiply the advantage of running a little faster with a gasser.

I had a similar decision and almost pulled trigger on the ZCO but ended up getting March 4.5-28 instead. Significant upgrade over 4-16 ATACR and I don’t regret that decision. YMMV.

Agree with Capt Right.

I asked Spuhr a while back about doing a 36mm cantilever (1.5” and 6mil), and they said “We haven’t thought about it, hasn’t been any interest.”

Not sure why, as the 4-20 would be great for gas guns.

Reactions: CSTactical
Geissele makes a 20 MOA inclined ~1.5” cantilevered 36mm mount for ZCO scopes.

EDIT: With inclination.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13ARC
We've seen your rifle collection. Lol POOR Finnish shooter 🤣
I am lucky to be working on a gun store, but mostly my gear has come from my work on insta.
Not free, well some i do but some i do have payed 50% of the asked price.
I have a big family, most of my money goes to feed my kids, mortgage and electric, gasoline etc.
God has been god to me on my guns ;)
I would never had money to buy these with money i do get from work.
One thing i can do right, along with make babies :D