• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B 5-25x56

Just got one like that and I love it. The MTC is a bit stiff, but with a little practice you get used to it. I like the locking turrets especially for windage.

The MSR reticle is great easy ranging when you need it, and the extras at the bottom basically disappear when aiming.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

MSR is truly incredible and versatile. I have it on my Kahles K624i

Look at the MSR sticky on this forum and read page 2. It will show you how truly versatile it is.

BR,

You will get a 100 people in here saying to buy something else. I say the S&B 5-25 is still the best thing going. As far as the reticle, I prefer the H2CMR, but the MSR would also be very useful. I like my MTC turrets. Some folks complain about going past their desired setting by a tenth or two but this hasn't been my experience. If I was going to look at anything else it would probably be a Khales.

I just picked up another one of these with the H2CMR reticle. I too think this scope is still one of the best offerings.

I heard some talk about the older S&B scopes being better than the current production scopes... what is that all about or is that just rumor?

I heard some talk about the older S&B scopes being better than the current production scopes... what is that all about or is that just rumor?

Some don't like the Locking turret/MTC version is all. You have guys that had problems with the LT, so that tends to lead others to shy away from it. Everything is the same besides the turret. At the end, it comes down to personal preference. I haven't had a problem with my LT MTC version, and I just received the DT to try it out. Either way, it still seems that the S&B 5-25 is still the gold standard

I would say that is pretty much rumor and speculation. S&B still is pretty much the gold standard in high end optics. The only thing that seems worse about them is the price since it seems to keep going up.

I have not asked euro optic about the back order waiting time or how their back orders work...

not sure if euro optic requires money down if the item is to be back ordered for me... I am skeptical about putting money up front but I can understand their position if that is a requirement...

Last edited:
Whats your intention for using the scope groups or steel? Only bad thing I have heard about MSR is that for groups the reticle can be a little thick.

Throwing it out there for consideration.

Whats your intention for using the scope groups or steel? Only bad thing I have heard about MSR is that for groups the reticle can be a little thick.

Nonsense, I've shot some of my best groups ever with a S&B 5-25 with MSR reticle. If all you do is shoot paper, then a thinner reticle would be preferred, but the MSR reticle is fully capable to stack all you're shots in the same place if you have a rifle and ammo that are capable, and you do your part correctly.

I have the MSR in my Steiner 5-25 and I like it a lot. My buddy has the SB 5-25 with MSR. Very nice scope indeed! There is a precision high end optics test somewhere on the Internet and the 5-25 PMII seemed like it out performed every scope in almost every category. Was up against hendsoldt 3-27x and sb 3-27x as well but still beat them out in function testing.

I have not asked euro optic about the back order waiting time or how their back orders work...

not sure if euro optic requires money down if the item is to be back ordered for me... I am skeptical about putting money up front but I can understand their position if that is a requirement...

You're in good hands with EuroOptic. I guarantee it!!

It also looks like Mile High has one in stock, if you like the Ral8000 Schmidt & Bender: PMII 5-25x56mm MSR MTC 677-911-842-B2-A8

If all you do is shoot paper, then a thinner reticle would be preferred

Which is exactly what I said so its not nonsense. I shoot H2CMR and at 300 I can see enough orange on a center dot to know my hold is on. I've looked through exact same model scope, same range, same distance with MSR and couldnt say the same. The owner was even saying he was having issues.

P4F, H2CMR, MSR....all great reticles but the person designing them probably had one preference in mind when making them up. Finn snipers were most concerned with milling and hits on man sized targets.

I have both the S&B DT turrets and LT MTC. I prefer the DT style, since they are much smoother/easier and I have never really had the dial move around on me. Personally, I think the Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25X56 DT is undoubtably the gold standard by which all other LR scopes are judged and they set the bar high. Honestly though, you can't go wrong with DT or LT MTC they are both nice, it's give and take. For me, I have been using S&B PMII scopes since they first came out and they have always been the best...every time I have ever tried another brand I am always disappointed in one way or another. I prefer the CCW elevation dial but that is what I have always used, if I remember correctly that was the only option in the beginning and I still order all my scopes that way. As far as reticles, I like all of the designs S&B turns out but I prefer the MSR & P4F. I have no problem seeing 1/4" red dots on 100m targets and 1/2" red dots at 300m with either reticle on 25x, not sure how much better you need. By the way, see how many others brands of optics give you excellent optical resolution of a 1/4" diameter dot at 100m...damn few.

On another note, I really like Eurooptic, they have a very large selection, excellent customer service and have always been spot on carrying out what they promise. I think they require a 20% deposit on scope orders.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

it would be nice to see these reticles P4 Fine, MSR, H2CMR in person and feel the DT vs the MTC / LT in person

Hard to decide but P4 Fine is very popular

MSR is the best reticle out there. DT will move if something bumps them, but they're still better than S&B's MTC. neither are as nice as the vortex gen2 turrets (in terms of the feel of the clicks, the labels matching the detents, the locking feature and the zeroing). CCW will seem "normal" and CW will seem backwards for most of us, but it's not a big deal.

the old S&B are definitely better than the new ones.

MSR is the best reticle out there. DT will move if something bumps them, but they're still better than S&B's MTC. neither are as nice as the vortex gen2 turrets (in terms of the feel of the clicks, the labels matching the detents, the locking feature and the zeroing). CCW will seem "normal" and CW will seem backwards for most of us, but it's not a big deal.

Specifically how are the older schmidts better than the new ones....? Can you provide details

Like I said earlier as well. They are all the same DT/ LT MTC/ MTC (glass etc) except for the turrets designs.

All of my S&B turrets line up dead on. My Gen 2 Razor turrets do NOT line up correctly and the parallax is not correct either with the distance indicator.
And lastly, the H2CMR is the best reticle :)

Like I said earlier as well. They are all the same DT/ LT MTC/ MTC (glass etc) except for the turrets designs.

Not entirely true. S&B has a fairly wide acceptance level on their glass quality. Some scopes are better than others due to their batch.

I like the H2CMR. You can hold down to 0.1 wind which is pretty bad ass for the gun's intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Specifically how are the older schmidts better than the new ones....? Can you provide details

i'm not going to argue with you guys over it, but i will be happy to demonstrate next time i see you at a match. i should have my match schedule for 2015 worked out in the next month or so. (hoping to make the FL, OK, CO, WY, WV, NC PRS matches) we can meet on the zero range. bring your schmidts, cause i sold all 3 of mine