• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SubDon

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2020
Tx
New to the hide,have been reading it for a while. I m considering purchasing a S&B 5x45 and would like any input you guys have. One person told me that most don’t use it past 35. ????

Following this one.

Just got a lightly used one for a good deal, have not got a chance to test it and unsure to keep it or not.

Thanks for the reply good luck with it. Post what you think after trying it out

I have one, but it's not on a rifle yet. But I have mounted it on my fixture and had the time to look "a little here and there".

I agree you won't use 30+ magnification a lot, but optics wise I think it's great. Love it.
It's a nice think to be able to go to 45x.

It's like a Supercar that goes faster than you can drive anywhere, you'd still buy it ;)

I was looking at a house at 1800 meters and could see so many details. Also tried it outdoors in the grim north, and it was just silly. I can see stuff that's miles away. Too far away to hit even with artilley lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: JER6.5
I have used high magnification rifle scopes for several years and the downfall is mirage. Early morning or days having a slight wind you can normally use the power, as I have a limit of 40X but was able to use it on some days.

Barrel heat can also present a major problem but using a small battery fan or some sort of heat shield will solve that. I taped a 6” wide strip of paper from barrel tip to the bottom of the objective lens for a shield when I had to get off 10 rounds in a timed event using high magnification - that being over 24X but my scope had BR type crosshairs, which are hard to see to begin with.:)

Most moderate mirage days you can safely use 30/32X, as 36X the waves will sometimes wipe out your target.

If I could afford it, I’d have that 5-45X56 S&B - just cus.