• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B adjustment

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
I have a S&B 5x25. It is zeroed for 100 yards but the yellow is showing in the window on top. How do I rotate the turret on top to the first rotation without having to re-zero.

Thanks.

Re: S&B adjustment

Loosen the set screws on the elevation knob. Without lifting the knob rotate the elevation knob in the opposite direction you turned it for more elevation until the yellow windows go to clear and you come around to zero. For a CCW knob this means turning it CW and vice versa for CW knobs. It is important to not lift the knob up since there is a pin inside on the elevation assembly that has to rotate a small barrel that actuates the revolution indicator on the inside of the knob. If the set screws are backed out sufficiently there will be no problems with zero shift.

What type of bases do you have? I do not believe you should be in the yellow from zeroing your gun at 100 yards. Should run a 20 to 30 MOA base on the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of bases do you have? I do not believe you should be in the yellow from zeroing your gun at 100 yards. Should run a 20 to 30 MOA base on the rifle.</div></div>
Sounds like <span style="font-weight: bold">AI Shooter</span> just needed to reset his (DT) Elevation turret, which <span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger Monkey</span> told him how to do. When I received my first PMII 5-25X back from (S & B) Germany for a CCW conversion I had to reset the Elevation turret, as it was showing Yellow. And when I bought a second German Gen 2 XR 5-25X the turret was also showing Yellow, so I reset that one too. Still gotta send that second scope to S & B for a CCW conversion.

Also, while a 20 MOA base works fine on a 5-25X PMII and is enough to get most .308 loads (and flatter-shooting calibers) out to 1,000 yards or farther, and most people will never need the full travel of a PMII 5-25X, S & B's recommended amount of cant on a PMII 5-25X DT would be closer to 45 MOA. This works on both "CM" and 1/4 MOA adjustment scopes.

PMIIs' are adjusted out of center at the factory by 1/2 of their total travel, and in order to "get the travel back" you need a rail or mount with enough cant to make up for this mechanical offset. S & B recommends 65 CM for a 13 MIL scopes, and you need about 130 CM for the 5-25Xs' which are all DTs'.

S & B actually claims 273 CM of adjustment (at 100 meters) on the CM model, but because of variations between scopes lets keep this simple. I'll bet its pretty safe to say that most PMII CM 5-25Xs' have 27 or so MILs' of travel. Therefore, the 45 MOA example works quite well:

<span style="font-weight: bold">13.0 MIL</span> = 46.8" (13.0 x 3.6" = 46.8", or 46.800").

<span style="font-weight: bold">46.800"</span> <span style="font-style: italic">divided by 1.047"</span> (1 MOA) = <span style="font-weight: bold">44.699 (MOA)</span>.

I'm running a two-piece Tac Ops 40 MOA base set on my X-Ray 51 and I have 25.4 MILs' of "UP" zeroed at 100 yards with FGMM 168s'. Yeah - I know I can't use all the adjustment but the 40 MOA bases come drilled for 8-40 screws and I had my receiver tapped for 8-40s' so I went with them.

Keith