• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Illuminated Retical ??

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I have a S*B PMII 5-25x56 with an illuminated reticle. In the daytime no matter what setting I have it on I can not see the illuminated portion of the reticle. The black shows up fine but no red. In darkness it shows up fine but has to be turned up quite a bit. I have changed out the battery thinking that was the issue. Is this normal or do I need to contact S&B. The only other illuminated reticles I have used were eotech, aimpoint, c-more, and a pos BSA scope. Even the pos BSA can light up in direct light and be seen.

Re: S&B Illuminated Retical ??

It is normal.

The SB illum. is thought for low light/darkness situations. Wont work as a "red dot " type reticle in day light.

They are not comparable to Aimpoint style brightness.

When I shoot in dark it can be turned up way too bright. I would guess everything is normal with your scope.

Ditto for my PM-II 3-12 MTC. The illuminated reticle is really for low-no light. Not to be used as a red-dot.

Regards,
Greyson

Having just taken delivery of my MSR PMII, I was also panicking... I have a Swarovski Z6i atop my hunting stick and was comparing the functionality directly with that! My first thought was that there must be a fault but, after discussing with the supplier and reading this, I'm happy now that it's not designed to do the same thing as the Z6i...

Would be nice if it could be used in daylight though... and I wish S&B would illuminate the entire reticle.. by only lighting up the crosshair all the ranging functionality of the reticle is completely redundant at night!

The new H2CMR reticle illuminates the whole reticle.

Don't do much ranging at night so never had a problem with the P4F although when using a windage and elevation hold at the same time it is tough to see at night but doing either by themselves is fine.

As you have found out your scope if fine. What you will discover is that if you are using it in near darkness, or very low light situations, you will have the illumination turned way down. Your eye as it's searching for the target will get blown out by the illumination if it's turned up much over the minimum settings and you will not be able to see your target. Try it and you will be amazed at what you will be able to see with the reticle just bright enough to see it. That is what your paying the big bucks for, results, in the military, that's a dead guy that thought he was coming up on you under the cover of darkness and you were able to see him by utilizing the optic as it was designed. I use the usmc m8541 version, an amazing optic for what it was designed.

Merlinn