• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B Quality issues?

chrismadrid

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2005
Madrid-Spain
Hi all

I've been away for a while - but thought I'd mention this.

Seems there have been some pretty serious issues with some S&B 12-50*56PMII scopes. No not the "airgun" version which has some issues too - but the F-Class versions.

What? well I've heard first hand about scopes not focussing past 200m - scopes that jump POI shot to shot and scopes that dramatically shift focus/parallax with changes in Temp. Been some top guys forced to retire in the middle of comp's.

Some that were returned to S&B came back fully OK - but seems there may be a bad batch out there. Careful folks.

Re: S&B Quality issues?

their ownership change in the last few years? I heard they started outsourcing their R&D.

Not outsourcing R&D. S&B is one of the top scope companies in the world for good reason. As with any company they might have had some bad scopes out but they fixed them.

Chris thanks for letting the SH community know of what you heard. Luckily for us US residents S&B now has a fully functioning service center in NH where they can do modifications, repairs and are building new scopes as well. S&B actually has won the USMC scope repair contract recently. They will be taking care of any scope problems the USMC might have.

I'll be following this thread from my armchair. S&B have always produced tough scopes but now that we want scopes to do a whole lot more there are a lot more parts and things to go wrong. The European scope makers are being forced to go the 2nd plane and gismo route thanks to the American market and leaders such as Leupold. (Leupold have always made what the market wanted and have issues of their own). Night Force with loads of magnification are another forceful manufacturer with high loaded specked scopes. I like Swaro and Zeiss, and S&B plenty great too, but beyond the glass the internals are being tasked to worked hard (all that clicking and recoil). It will be interesting if the top brands can deliver top design, high build quality and long term reliability. They better, especially for what they charge as their reputation will depend on it. But no one yet hasn't had the odd problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anothervr6kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was this just on 12-50*56PMII scopes or all scopes?</div></div>

First I heard of any problem like this on any of their scopes so I would guess just the 12-50s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be following this thread from my armchair. S&B have always produced tough scopes but now that we want scopes to do a whole lot more there are a lot more parts and things to go wrong. The European scope makers are being forced to go the 2nd plane and gismo route thanks to the American market and leaders such as Leupold. (Leupold have always made what the market wanted and have issues of their own). Night Force with loads of magnification are another forceful manufacturer with high loaded specked scopes. I like Swaro and Zeiss, and S&B plenty great too, but beyond the glass the internals are being tasked to worked hard (all that clicking and recoil). It will be interesting if the top brands can deliver top design, high build quality and long term reliability. They better, especially for what they charge as their reputation will depend on it. But no one yet hasn't had the odd problem. </div></div>

Are you serious?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be following this thread from my armchair. S&B have always produced tough scopes but now that we want scopes to do a whole lot more there are a lot more parts and things to go wrong. The European scope makers are being forced to go the 2nd plane and gismo route thanks to the American market and leaders such as Leupold. (Leupold have always made what the market wanted and have issues of their own). Night Force with loads of magnification are another forceful manufacturer with high loaded specked scopes. I like Swaro and Zeiss, and S&B plenty great too, but beyond the glass the internals are being tasked to worked hard (all that clicking and recoil). It will be interesting if the top brands can deliver top design, high build quality and long term reliability. They better, especially for what they charge as their reputation will depend on it. But no one yet hasn't had the odd problem. </div></div>

come on, ppl...seriously

Maybe I'm spealing a hole lot of tosh, or telling people how to suck eggs. I just feel that in the last 15 years the scope market has jumped forward. We all fit far more complex scopes than we used to. What was wrong with a 6x42? Or the 10x42 S&B sniper scope of old? The European makers took their time, and were reluctant to do it: to fit BDC'S as standard, side parallax adjustment, and high x20 plus magnification.

Personally I think most of the credit goes to the American Varmint shooter for dragging the rifle industry into the long range sport as we enjoy it now. So thank you.

Sorry this is all probably in the wrong thread, and isn't helping. What I do look out for are real reports of equipment, scopes, rifles, failing. Real data is hard to find. Its surprising how many scopes do fail, but then again there are a lot out there. It would be nice to have some facts as one incident can go round the block so fast that you would think every scope from such & such a maker had the problem. Sometimes the wrong manufacturer is named. I should have just tagged this a seen what came up. I've never had a problem with a S&B, and I've had a few.

AFAIK - It's limited to the 12-50*56 only. I knew the Field Target had some issues but was really rather surprised to hear that the PMII was suffering - The 5-25*56PMII has never let me down.

Never had a problem with my S&B PMII either.