• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B reticle advice and questions

Alpine 338

Lumberjack
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
NW Colorado
Ok, I currently have a 5-25x56 DT Mil CW with P4F, and just love it. Now I'm thinking about gettting another S&B for my TRG-22, and have my selection narrowed down to a 4-16x50 ST Mil CW, but I'm up in the air on the reticle. Since I will be shooting out no further out than 1K 99% of the time, and feel that the P4F reticle is too fine at the lower magnifications i.e. less than 8x, I'm thinking a Premier reticle or the P4 reticle will suit me just fine, or even the P3 even though it only has 5-mils of hold-over. So, I ask those who own, have used, or are experienced with the S&B's to fire back with your thought's.

Also, on another note: Will S&B convert a 5-25x56 DT MOA scope to DT Mils? If so, what the price would be?

Thanks!

Re: S&B reticle advice and questions

I have the 5-25x56 PMII with the P3F reticle.
Coverage is .24 at 100 yards.
I always use clicks for come ups so the extra stuff on the P4F is not important to me.
huntbike2010a054.jpg

Gut check feeling is the P3F stands out better in crappy light.
And for what im usuing it for.
Deer and vermin.
Its just fine for me.

dave

Re: S&B reticle advice and questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I currently have a 5-25x56 DT Mil CW with P4F, and just love it. Now I'm thinking about gettting another S&B for my TRG-22, and have my selection narrowed down to a 4-16x50 ST Mil CW, but I'm up in the air on the reticle. Since I will be shooting out no further out than 1K 99% of the time, and feel that the P4F reticle is too fine at the lower magnifications i.e. less than 8x, I'm thinking a Premier reticle or the P4 reticle will suit me just fine, or even the P3 even though it only has 5-mils of hold-over. So, I ask those who own, have used, or are experienced with the S&B's to fire back with your thought's.</div></div>
Personally, I find that the 16X top-end of the PMII 4-16X is not enough for me, although the type of shooting and size of targets you shoot should determine both the magnification range and reticle you will choose. I rarely shoot "tactical" matches, but still like the convenience of FFP scopes. I frequently at 1/2 MOA or smaller targets between 300-1,000+ yards, so I prefer more magnification withh a very fine reticle. If you have a 5-25X you can always dial it down, but you cannot dial up if you don't have the top-end.

If you will be shooting tactical matches, the P4 would work well in both the 4-16X and 5-25X PMII - the thicker main vertices are easier to pick up than than those of the P4F, yet aren't super coarse so it still works OK for smaller targets. The P3 also works well in the 3-12X and 4-16X because the reticle is easier to pick-up at lower magnifications but I feel it is too coarse in a 5-25X.

I like having more than 5 MILs' holdover, but depending on what caliber(s) you shoot / will be shooting when using your PMII you may not need more than that. Again, the type of shooting and size of targets you shoot have a should determine both the magnification range and reticle you will choose.

What "Premier reticle" are you talking about? Since Premier and S & B are no longer playing together you are limited to S & B reticles in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">new</span></span> scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, on another note: Will S&B convert a 5-25x56 DT MOA scope to DT Mils? If so, what the price would be?

Thanks! </div></div>
S & B will convert a 5-25x56 DT MOA scope to DT MILs' - as of February 2010 the MOA-to-MIL conversion was $500.00. BTW, all PMII 5-25Xs' are DT (a DT turret is required for both the 1/4 MOA and 0.1 MIL versions because the ST turret does not have enough travel for the PMII 5-25X).

Keith