• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes S&B vs USO eye relief

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi all..
I've been using a USO SN3 3.2-17 for a while and today I mounted a S&B 5-25.
I noticed that it's much more difficult to get a perfect view through the S&B. The USO seems more forgiving to form a good image.
Are you experiencing the same or is it me?

Re: S&B vs USO eye relief

Are you talking about eye relief, i.e. the ability to see the full image or edge sharpness? As magnification goes up eye relief becomes more critical.

I'm talking about the ability to form a full image without shadows. In the USO is easier. The S&B is more difficult.
I'm setting both at 12x to compare.

I have to agree I having notice the same thing, I'm hoping the new 3x20 is more forgiving

What you're referring to is commonly called the "eye box". Some scopes are more forgiving in this aspect (like Hensoldt so I've heard from many).

I'm currently waiting on a 5-25 S&B so I'm curious to hear more opinions on this.

Never had a problem myself with either. Get behind the rifle correctly and set the scope eye relief and height for the shooter and you should have no problems. The only scope I have found this is kind of finicky on head position is the Vortex Razor.

Like Rob, Ive never had a problem with the eye box on either. On the other hand, I feel the eye relief on USOs is generally too short.

I think your problem is because of the longer tube on the 5-25 which generally will decrease your eyebox. I found the eyebox on the 4-16x50 S&B to be more generous than the 3-17x44 USO.

I feel that S&B has the most generous eyebox of all the scopes I've tried.

I have used both of these exact same scopes and didn't have any issues with eyebox on either, but the eye relief was a bit shorter on my USO. I like the eye relief on the S&B much better.

wow this is crazy i feel the exact opposite, guess it is all in the eyes of the user. i recently switched my main optic from a sn3 tpal to s&b 5-25x56 and couldn't be happier with my choice. i would like to try the hensoldt but we all have wants.

This is some more findings after playing a little with the S&B:

I set it at 25x for this test.

When looking through it as it came from the factory (with a lot of up travel available) no matter where I place my head, I always see a shadow on the very top of the image. It's not the same shadow that is formed when the eye is not centered behind the scope or placed at the wrong distance from the ocular.

I dialed about 9 mils of up elevation and that shadow disapears and it becomes easier to get a full and perfect image.

What do you think?

First picture. Power set at 25x. The image is perfect. The reticle is crisp and clear edge to edge. But you can clearly see a "shadow" on the very top. This thing remains there even if I move the head up and down, closer or farther. It goes away if I turn the power down to 15x or less.
I increased the brightness and contrast of this image so you can see the reticle's vertical post overlaping the "shadow" on the top of the image.
SBscope1.jpg

Second image. Power set at 25x. I dialed 12 mils up. Now the thing is no longer there.
SBscope2.jpg

I have noticed this too. It is more difficult to get a full image without shadows when using my S&B 5x25 vs the USO scopes I've owned.

The only USO I've shot with was a st-22. Personally my main complaint against it was that it's eye relief was very short for me.

I've done a side by side with several (3+) USO and S&B. The USO eye relief is shorter and the resolution is less, not much, but some. At 1st I was like theres' no difference till the guy I was with pointed out that there was a slight rain drizzle that could be seen with the S&B that couldn't be seen with the USO. It was a cloudy, slightly rainy day. On a normal day I doubt the resolution would be anything to compare. As for the box, I see no difference.

gk80,

The "shading" effect that you see in the first picture is the result of the erector being so low in the tube when zeroed. This is typically the result of using a high taper base. The reason that this shading goes away in the second picture is because the erector is dialed up 12 mil and is more centered within the main tube. There isn't really anything abnormal about this in regards to the 5-25, I've seen it many times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gk80,

The "shading" effect that you see in the first picture is the result of the erector being so low in the tube when zeroed. This is typically the result of using a high taper base. The reason that this shading goes away in the second picture is because the erector is dialed up 12 mil and is more centered within the main tube. There isn't really anything abnormal about this in regards to the 5-25, I've seen it many times. </div></div>

Great! Thanks alot!

As trigger monkey pointed out scope's will have "vignetting" like that when the erector is adjusted off center. This is the price paid for scopes that got away having the reticle move all over the field of view.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gk80,

The "shading" effect that you see in the first picture is the result of the erector being so low in the tube when zeroed. This is typically the result of using a high taper base. The reason that this shading goes away in the second picture is because the erector is dialed up 12 mil and is more centered within the main tube. There isn't really anything abnormal about this in regards to the 5-25, I've seen it many times. </div></div>Just getting in on this thread, but it is of interest to me because I just got in my new 5-25 a few days back. I had my 18moa AI mount machined to fit my scope rather than order a 45moa mount (which fits the scope without modification,) if I am understanding your post, it sounds like I probably sidestepped this shading "issue" by not going with an extreme angle, correct? I would assume I would have to all but bottom my 5-25 to get a 100 yard zero with a 45moa.

bm11, I don't think you'll have any issues w/ an 18 MOA base. That shading effect isn't really vignetting it's actually part of the main tube that the erector is "seeing".

Right, I think that with an 18moa base I should safely be pretty close to centered in the tube. With a 45moa, I would be bottomed out and would be getting some of that effect, I would think.

I'll find out tonight when I mount it I guess!