• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes S.H.O.T. show 2010

Re: S.H.O.T. show 2010

I understand that S&B had a new 5-25x56 scope on display? Any details on this?

Also, on the Meopta front, their 1-4x22 Kdot scope now has an updated reticle with holdovers? Details!

Well, just happened to see a YouTube vid on the new 5-25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t64KtIiKwqg

Those new turrets are pretty sweet. Not sure about the illumination dial yet. Am wondering if they have redesigned the optics to remove the limiter ring when going below 8x power.....

I can't decide if the turrets are a good idea or something that could break and cause problems. Also the clicks on the S&B are so fine with the turret in the up position it might be difficult to visually tell exactly what click you're on without having to drop it down into the locked position.

The ceracoat finish looks like a rattlecan garage job. I hope the final product looks better or is at least offered in basic black.

I didn't care for that ceracoat either. It may have just been my monitor but it looked like it was already worn off the top edges of the elevation turret in a few spots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am wondering if they have redesigned the optics to remove the limiter ring when going below 8x power..... </div></div>

I hear some people complain about this on the S&B 5-25 and was wondering how severe it really is. My USO 3.2-17x44 does this from 3.2-5x but it doesn't seem too bothersome to me. It would certainly be nice to have that large sight picture through the whole mag. range like I hear about in the premiers. I rarely go below 10x but was just curious if anyone was able to compare this aspect between the USO and S&B. I wonder if it is more obvious in the higher mag. scopes.

The new S&B 5-25 is set up with locking turrets and a pop up second turn button on the top of the knob. It's set up to compete in the same military selection process as the others like the Leupold, NF etc that you notice coming out in 25x max FFP with locking turrets etc. The new S&B is nice as all are.

S&B also is coming out with a new short dot. a 1.1-8x but you can go below thw 1.1 to a true 1x. You notice when you do this as there is a click in the power ring. It's a realy sweet set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The turrents look awesome on the S&Bs. </div></div>
Well, maybe. If you opt for the Horus reticle, the new locking turrets are the right choice. If you opt for, say, a P4F reticle and dial in your dope, then they are not.

Why? The locking mechanism works this way: slide the outer cylinder down to lock the turret and back up again to unlock it. There is a 1/8" or so wide lip at the top that helps your fingers grab the locking cylinder to push it up or down. The tic marks for the dial are at the bottom of the locking cylinder and you can see them only when the cylinder is up and unlocked.

With a Horus, all you need is a good zero and the rest is done with the reticle and magnification ring. Zero your rifle and push down the cylinder to lock the turret. You're done and GTG - it's a good design in this mode.

With a P4F/P4/P3 you need to dial in your dope. The turret must be unlocked to dial it in, but I found that there is very little metal at the top of the turret to grab onto with the turret unlocked - just a thin knurled ring. Unless you are very careful, one of your fingers will push down slightly on the lip of the outer cylinder, locking the turret. With practice, you might be able to avoid this problem, but it's not ergonomically designed for a non-Horus reticle. All of the FDE S&B 5-25x scopes had Horus reticles with the locking turrets.

If you like the FDE Cerakote finish and locking turrets, you better like a Horus reticle. On day one I was ready to buy one of these scopes, on day two I decided against it. (1) I found the Horus reticle was way too thick at 25x, huge really, making the highest power somewhat less useful, and (2) the locking turret is a pain unless you have the Horus.

The S&B rep told me that this FDE 5-25x with locking turrets is their proposed design for the PSR rifle. So, it's an engineered solution for the PSR and not intended as scope with a variety of reticles and other options. It's a nice scope for the intended purpose, although I would criticize the Horus at 25x as I said.

The whole Horus thing is really ridiculous if you ask me... they invest tons of money putting their people in front of everyone they can and try to sell them on the idea that the Horus is so ideal for combat, but really, it's completely unnecessary.

Plenty of guys will come by with one or two Horus scopes that they bought during a demo, but pretty soon they get rid of them.

it works, yes, but it doesn't take long to realize that less is not only better but you can do the same thing just as effective as with the Horus without all the clutter. The fact that it is being put into this call is just a product of face time, which Horus buys a lot of... meanwhile, their customer service is the worst in the gun industry, period. No one ever answers the phone or emails, I have a new chip from a year ago that never worked and still doesn't work, and no one will assist me, or even return a call. Stories like mine are common, you hear it over and over, heck the issue I had before hand I was told the "company" was off hunting or something. Not one or two people, the whole company and it took months to resolve my issue from then.

I can understand it in a Spotter, there it has value, but in a rifle scope, sorry it's the wrong choice, from the wrong people, who are not committed to service, only to creating a legacy for the owner. Bragging rights shouldn't be a business model.

do u have more pics of the new leupold scopes. thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> their customer service is the worst in the gun industry, period. No one ever answers the phone or emails, I have a new chip from a year ago that never worked and still doesn't work, and no one will assist me, or even return a call. Stories like mine are common, you hear it over and over, heck the issue I had before hand I was told the "company" was off hunting or something. Not one or two people, the whole company and it took months to resolve my issue from then.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got in touch with someone at Horus....... once. </div></div>

I was really happy to have mine replaced (several months after sending it in... Like 3 or 4!!)and after the CS nightmare I went through I promptly sold mine and went s&b... I hope to never look through or hold another horus! Those guys were dicks one the phone.. lied.... sent out the wrong scope to me and double charged my CC.. I will never do business with them!

NOmag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of new stuff coming this year. I'll update this thread with the best new stuff as the show continues.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bushnell</span>

Fusion 10x42 1600 Rangefinder Binocular</div></div>

Any idea of what these are going to sell for from you and any other options in a BLFR other then lieca and leupy.

NOmag

Well, I got inside dirt from both NF and S&B regarding new scopes. Promised not to say anything so I'm hopeful someone else will. Secret S&B scope sounds fantastic and I can't wait! Projected ETA: August. The 1-8 on display was pretty sweet too. I was not keen on the SB 5-25x56 with the MTC knob. After the MTC click I was unable to move the knob just one click. I would invariably move two or three clicks. Was a prototype, or so I'm told, so may be different in production. I think the 1-8 ShortDot is going to be about $2250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone get a chance to play with any of the new Bushnell FFPs announced at SHOT?

I'm mostly interested in how the knobs are? Are they good feeling clicks?

</div></div>

I messed with the FFP 6-24.I thought the clicks were positive and well spaced.There was allot to like but one thing.It only had a little over 2 revs of elevation.I think it was 11 mils or so.

Steve

Hey Eric.

Would I be forced to sell my Porsche to afford any S&B or NF with usable features?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Eric.

Would I be forced to sell my Porsche to afford any S&B or NF with usable features? </div></div>

Funny/sad, I sold my Porsche back to the dealer the morning I left for the Shot Show.
frown.gif

I used to shoot a scope with a Horus reticle. Then I noticed that I didn't need it. This is from an article referenced below:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider this as an option. You are most likely to want to use holdovers and holdunders at relatively short ranges.

Consider the typical dope chart for a .308 above. Using a 100 yard zero, you can use that zero on a scope with 5 mils of marks below the main crosshairs to shoot out to 600 yards, without touching the elevation dial, using only holdovers.

To calculate those holdovers, just divide your MOA data by 3.438 to convert it to mils. Using the typical chart above, that will give you the following holdovers, rounded to the nearest 10th of a milliradian:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>

Range HoldOver
100 0
200 0.6
300 1.5
400 2.3
500 3.3
600 4.7
</pre></div></div>

Memorize those numbers, or whatever applies where you mostly shoot, and you'll be able to hit targets out to 600 yards without touching your scope. Nor will you have to remember which way to hold, because it's all holdovers, just like using a Horus reticle. And that is the essence of efficient fighting with a precision rifle. </div></div>

From Calculating Holdovers and Holdunders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of new stuff coming this year. I'll update this thread with the best new stuff as the show continues.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold</span>
1.1-8x24 CQBSS

<span style="font-weight: bold">Premier Reticles</span>
1.1-8x24 V-8

</div></div>

Chris, have you been able to compare these 2 scopes? </div></div>

I saw the Leupold but did not make it to the Premier booth. Brady did and said that he prefered the Premier because of how the reticle worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of new stuff coming this year. I'll update this thread with the best new stuff as the show continues.

Any idea of what these are going to sell for from you and any other options in a BLFR other then lieca and leupy.

NOmag </div></div>

They will be around $750.

I did not see any other BLRFs at the show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of new stuff coming this year. I'll update this thread with the best new stuff as the show continues.

NOmag </div></div>

They will be around $750.

I did not see any other BLRFs at the show. </div></div>

Thanks for the update and I will be interested.

NOmag

I saw the BLRFs at the shot... they seemed pretty good but hard to tell from inside the building. One of the Marine Snipers brought them by, but I never made it to see Jordan about them.

Sort of Leica Lite, appeared to have decent features.

VIDEOS FROM THE SHOW . . . NSSF has posted more than 20 videos from the 2010 SHOT Show on the show's official YouTube channel: youtube.com/nssfshotshow. There you'll find interviews with exhibitors, attendees, celebrities and members of the media, coverage of the annual State of the Industry Dinner, NSSF's 2009 annual report and a look at SHOT Show University.

http://www.youtube.com/nssfshotshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UfdUoajTc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the BLRFs at the shot... they seemed pretty good but hard to tell from inside the building. One of the Marine Snipers brought them by, but I never made it to see Jordan about them.

Sort of Leica Lite, appeared to have decent features. </div></div>

Thanks for the insight Frank and I hope to see a set soon to play with!

Later,
NOmag

So the chrismas tree rectile in the horus is too cluttered, what about the vortex ebr-2?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The whole Horus thing is really ridiculous if you ask me... they invest tons of money putting their people in front of everyone they can and try to sell them on the idea that the Horus is so ideal for combat, but really, it's completely unnecessary.

<span style="font-style: italic">...snip snip..... </span> </div></div>

Framk I know what you are talking...but to me both the Leupold and the Premiers and the S&B new offerings are to be the competitors for the PSR rifle...The specs mention the Horus H37 reticle by name

ergo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orion</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The whole Horus thing is really ridiculous if you ask me... they invest tons of money putting their people in front of everyone they can and try to sell them on the idea that the Horus is so ideal for combat, but really, it's completely unnecessary.

<span style="font-style: italic">...snip snip..... </span> </div></div>

Framk I know what you are talking...but to me both the Leupold and the Premiers and the S&B new offerings are to be the competitors for the PSR rifle...The specs mention the Horus H37 reticle by name

ergo...</div></div>

When you buy Face time with the people writing the spec that doesn't mean it is right, it just means that is the person writing the spec was persuaded to include.

if you knew how much face time Horus buys, it would be clear.

it's the same as a lobbyst writing a bill in congress that says you have to use the service I am lobbying for... that is what is going on, lobbying a product to be used in military service.

indeed....(though i did not get the "face time" meaning - does that mean iis face to face talking?)

I agree on what you say, and I feel that we are all in accordance that the firms will have to sing to the specs tune....

(and I can assume that some enginners/designers will curse the time they have to spent messing with an already good design)

why is Horus wasting its best reticle on a short rage optic????? Oh yeah they are not a smart company guess I'll keep running my falcon w/the H25 circa 2004 until I can get my S&B

Like Lowlight says Horus does a lot on selling, they would love to have there reticles in every scope.

I am suprised at Leupold for putting such an unsuitable combination together.

I agree w/singleshot85...put the h27 in something we can use...not that!

horus...can you hear us?

It's not Horus you should be appealing to if you want a reticle in a non-Horus scope - and, if you want a Horus reticle, you <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ought</span></span> to want it in a non-Horus scope...
laugh.gif

Talk to the scope manufacturer you want the reticle in. They will have to make a deal with Horus, who will source the reticle.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MBXXrUBHsOY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MBXXrUBHsOY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>