• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors S&W 329 PD

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
Anyone have one of these? I just bought one off GB and haven't picked it up yet. Thinking about some of Garrett's ammo. I'm pretty excited to get it. Should be exciting to shoot at ~26 oz. or so.

Re: S&W 329 PD

I have fondled one at the gunshop before. it feels real good in the hand, and its really light too. So much so it surprised me. I am trying to talk my dad in to picking one up so I can test it out too.

I can tell you that it's hands down the worst recoiling/painful handgun I have ever shot with heavy magnum 44 loads,including the S&W 500 mag. it's significantly worse than the 500 with heavy mags. Someone did a article on big handguns and recoil awhile ago using a formula to calculate total recoil and the 329PD ended up beating out the 460 and 500 S&W mags for more recoil.

In fact it's so violent that with cheap 44 mag loads such as remanufactured loads or the blazer aluminum casing loads it would unseat the bullets as you shot it. By the time you got to round 4-5 the last couple rounds in the cylinder had bullets that were visibly unseated from the case neck, in some cases by 1/4". Higher quality 44 mag loads had no issues but it meant not being able to shoot remanufactured or cheap ammo as well.

The real issue is the lack of weight makes the recoil very sharp and painful. I've seen guys shooting one in less than 10 rounds literally tear skin off their thumb and palm of their hand where the backstrap sits. You can also put the S&W 500 houge grip on it, it has rubber over the backstrap where the stock 329PD rubber grip does not.

Shoot it with a good glove with mag loads, it's not bad with 44 specials about like a steel frame 6" 44 mag with mag loads.

It's not a fun gun to shoot, it serves a very specific purpose. There is a reason you see a lot of used ones in really good condition floating around.

My friend has one, and I've shot the heaviest 240 grain magnum loads through it. I didn't think the recoil was that nasty compared to a normal, steel frame .44 magnum, and I'm a TINY guy.

I think people majorly overblow the recoil issue. A J frame with magnum loads, even with a steel frame, is nastier than the lightweight .44.

Everyone interprets recoil differently I suppose. It might depend on the ammo as well, there's a huge difference between a 240 grain "magnum" blazer round compared to a 320 grain corbon hard cast magnum round.

Take a look at garrett ammo. They make a 310 gr. round for it(329PD) at a pokey 1000fps. Certainly not "magnum" levels, probably not the most comfortable to shoot. However...when the time comes, I doubt I would even hear the gun fire, much less ANY recoil. Funny how that happens only when you kill something. I won't handload for weapons designed for defensive purposes.

i load ALL of my ammo. my 329 PD gets a reduced load, but my use is more likely to be whacking a bunny or grouse for dinner, than stopping a charging bear. my stomping grounds is bear country, but they don't seem to look at me as a tasty morsel, as the only one i've had come after me was most likely a relocated problem bear.

I have a 325, which is the same basic frame in .45 acp and it bucks like a bull in Vegas. The same issues as with the 329, light and great to carry, but man its a handful to shoot. I can only imagine what the 329 is like with full load 44 mags.

My $.02

You can purchase the soft padded grip from S&W that's used on the X frame guns. This'll allow much more comfort with this handgun. I've shot one outfitted this way and while the recoil is very fast and sharp it's not uncontrollable.

hangunnr

not exactly on point but I have a 340 and with the full house 357s its a hoarse not unmanajable but it smarts like what's been said I think its worse feeling than the 500s I've shot its just a sharp snap after 50 qual rounds at the range I was bleeding but its the best carry backup I've ever owned its a good compromise so I'm sure same goes for 44

Got it in hand now. It's a nice piece. I'll find some ammo and a holster shortly. Maybe the 500 grips as well. I bet the recoil is "snappy"!