• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W 329PD 44 MAG

Re: S&W 329PD 44 MAG

I have one and like it as a field carry gun while I am hunting. It is hard to do much better in terms of weight versus packing a punch. The recoil is pretty snappy but you can get used to it. I have put 150 Mag rounds through it in a session and it was fine. I do think thing that I find the recoil manageable and also shoot it fairly well because it fits my hand perfectly.

I have had one, they are nice handguns. They are very light and with your grizz loads will be very snappy. It should not be too bad with the 44 specials though. I also have the same gun in 41 mag the 357 pd and it is also a good shooter. Sold the 44 after 2 elbow surgeries and found out I can't shoot the really hard recoiling handguns anymore. The 329 would be a great gun for packing, especially if recoil doesn't bother you. Also one more thing, if you buy a used one look on the top side of the inside of the frame, there will be a silver clip looking thing(blast shield maybe) right where the barrel and cylinder meet, make sure there is not much wear and tear. After a while I have heard of the frame having some problems(cracking and whatnot) after a lot of use with powerful loads. If you buy new then no worries, this isn't a gun you really go out and put a ton of rounds through. At least for me.

I just bought a used one and had some issues with lite primer strikes on some rounds with Rem. mag, Win.mag, and Blazer 44 spc.(don't judge me).

Another issue was the hammer saftey lock engaging intermitantlly when firing mag loads.

I called S&W and they sent a label to ship back and repair, so we will see how it turns out.

A buddy has a newer one and has no such issues.

If S&W gets it fixed then it should be a great weapon.

Also some folks use grips from the .500 and .460 pistols as they cover the backstrap and lessen the felt recoil.

Hello,

FYI

Please beware of this handgun! I had one come apart shooting factory
SAAMI spec ammunition.

Look at the pictures below. If I was shooting this firearm at the time at something that I was trying to stop........ I would have been SCREWED!

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

SM,

They wanted to just replace it.......... and I said...... Nooooo..... thank you!

So I picked another firearm "in Steel" from them on there dime and went on my marry way.

Stay away from the 329PD, shoot at your own risk!

SM,

Yes..... and I took it out that weekend and shot every type of load that I had.

And It ran like a champ.

Thank you

I had one a few years back. I purchased it used but unfired. I carried it for 3 yrs, fired everything I could out of it to test it. I will say that with mine full power handloads or factory ammo would jump crimp. I ended up using a modified lee factory c4rimp on my handloadsto prevent this. I fed it a steady diet of 240 and 300xtp with stout doses of h110 that I uusally used in my 629 mtn gun. It didnt like that and quickly tired, would jump cylinder, stick hammer in between down and cocked,and had tons of flame etching around cylinder/ barrel shround despite the little stainless frame guard, also the trigger started in sa mode at about 4 lbs when new, after 500rds it was down to less than 2 and would not always reset. It went back for repair before 800rds. They elected to replace it with a "improved version" I used that for a year, probably about 1100 rds, of more relaxed loads( I like the 44 and just found having one that light it just naturally became my outdoor handgun). Overall finish and fit were better on the 2nd, no flame cutting but the cylnder did turn black from burnt powder and would not come off despite all recommended powder solvents. I had a buddy that wanted one for an upcoming camping/canoe adventure, I sold it to him, he fired 12 rounds and traded it in on a 629. I would say overall the second one was alot better than the first. You must check holsters for this model as well as the underlug is different and the front sights are tall so they do not fir leather for other 4 inch n frames very well. Currently I am looking at a 329 nightguard or 41 mag in same, but that will have to wait until after this deployment. Good luck

I love my Sigma in .40. I know, probably not good bear medicine, but great for two legged preditors!

I have the 329 in 44 mag. for backcountry carry, and i love it.
With full power loads the recoil is very sharp and unpleasant. It feels much worse than a 4" 500 s,w to me.
But for its intended purpose it is the best handgun made imho.
Btw , I have about 250 rounds through mine and am very impressed .
If you want to shoot a lot get a 629. If you want a carry gun go with the 329.
We have all seen the pictures of the broken Glocks , 1911s , etc.
any piece of machinery can fail .

Snappy recoil? That's quite an understatement. A friend handed me his with full house magnum loads with some heavy bullet. I'm not recoil sensitive, but I fired half the cylinder and gave it back to him. There's no way I could practice with magnum loads. It's a beast.

Buy once, cry once. Go see John Linebaugh.

I had a 629.
A fine gun it was wish I still had it because back when I had maine msro was around 500 bucks LOL