• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W 5.45 AR-15??

VTgunner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Fredericksburg, VA
I did a search but came up dry...

Anyone have any experience with either the 5.45mm rifle or the upper? I'm thinking about getting an upper to attach to my lower that I already have for my standard AR-15. I know the ammo is significantly cheaper than .223/5.56, so I'm thinking it might be something to look in to.

Thanks for the help!

Re: S&W 5.45 AR-15??

They are accurate and reliable,After you stake the keys good.

They will rust down if don't wash them after every outing with hot soap and water.

I try the Windex and all that bullshit didn't work,Elbow grease,hot soap and water,Or Purchase Non corrosive ammo then cost goes up,I sold it and went back to 5.56,My wife wanted here sink back..

I have one and its a reliable and good shooter, ammo is cheap as well ( main reason for getting it) just make sure you clean it though after you shoot even though the barrel is chome lined. But, other then that dont really have anyting bad to say about it, besides the fact that some older C-Products mags might cause some issues..

Mine is really accurate and so far dependable.

As far as the corrosive ammo goes, yes it's cheap, its reliable, its accurate and did I mention corrosive.

The last time I cleaned mine I took it to the sink and sprayed hot water down the barrel/gas tube, upper receiver. The bolt I soaked in hot water in the sink. I took it outside, dried it off with a hair dryer and then wiped it out/sprayed it down with lube and put it back together.

Prior to that time I'd cleaned it with a black powder cleaner/solvent called "Black Off". No issues if you clean it well and lube it up after cleaning.

I need to shoot mine more...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyone have any experience with either the 5.45mm rifle or the upper? </div></div>

A friend of mine has the whole S&W 5.45 AR15 rifle which he purchased before "the election". It's accurate with RWS ammo, but only rabbit-hunting accurate with Wolf or Golden Bear ammo. So far it has been reliable.