• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W 629 and Colt Anaconda - I now own both.

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
Picked up a new 6" Anaconda two weeks ago, and now have about 100 rounds through it. I already own a S&W 686 6" in .357 and a S&W 629 6.5" in .44 mag. All three guns are rubber grip. Although it cost more than the S&W 629, I'm finding the Anaconda isn't quite the beast the Smith is. If someone shopping for a 6" 44 mag were to ask me today what I prefer, I would have to go with the 629. The Anaconda is a real jewel to be sure, but it doesn't quite have the trigger my two Smiths have. Even shooting doubble-action, the two Smith guns seem to break the trigger pull just right. And, the sight adjustments on the Anaconda are a bit sloppier. As far as shooting goes, I can group tighter with the Smith 629 than I can the Anaconda with the same ammo. And, I've tried a few different varieties. Maybe the Anaconda just needs to be shot more. Maybe I just need to shoot it more. Anybody had their hands on both of these superb big bore revolvers? What was your take?

Reactions: buggz
I can only compare to the older Colts, not the new production. The expensive Pythons mostly. They were very smooth, but different from the Smith's smoothness style.

I will say that the Smiths are more consistent, the Colts seem slightly different between the ones I've tried.

Go with what you like. It's a hobby.