• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W M&P 10 after market questions

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
am told this is a "DPMS pattern gun"so am asking if some stuff fits. magpul BAD does not. looking for an ambi/extended charging handle. the radian brand raptor looks like what i want. does anyone know if this fits/works. can't seem to contact radian. as far as mags go,most of what i see recommended is magpul which is fine. wondering if any one has input or experience with promag or dpms steel or any other steel that memebers might know about. i am aware of some problems with dpms and promag is not really a first line company,but i do like steel mags and do have some magpulsas well so just asking. thanks for replies.

am told this is a "DPMS pattern gun"so am asking if some stuff fits. magpul BAD does not. looking for an ambi/extended charging handle. the radian brand raptor looks like what i want. does anyone know if this fits/works. can't seem to contact radian. as far as mags go,most of what i see recommended is magpul which is fine. wondering if any one has input or experience with promag or dpms steel or any other steel that memebers might know about. i am aware of some problems with dpms and promag is not really a first line company,but i do like steel mags and do have some magpulsas well so just asking. thanks for replies.
It's only DPMS pattern ("Low") kinda-sorta... The problem with the M&P10 is that it is proprietary pretty-much everything. The answer re. the Raptor CH is, unfortunately, "maybe..." Some do, some don't depending on date of manufacture for both the CH and the M&P10. In my case it did not fit, unless you consider metal shavings a desirable byproduct. I've seen other reports of shooters using the Raptor CH with acceptable results; hit-n-miss... Re. mags: I've been told the M&P10 was designed for PMAGs. I’ve used both PMAGs and DPMS steel mags with equally good results. They're generally accurate shooters, but the upgrade path, for those so inclined, is limited at best.

Last edited:
I think the M&P 10 is a great out of the box rifle, that benefits a lot from a very few, relatively inexpensive upgrades (free float tube, stock of choice, pistol grip of choice, brake of choice). My example is quite accurate, and has been 100% reliable, but it has not been shot more than a few hundred rounds. They are pretty inexpensive, and relatively lightweight. Awesome for hunting, and light duty precision use.

I would not mistake one for a precision rifle, and I would not dump much money into the platform. Better base guns for that, imo.

Not that the OP asked or implied any of that, just my observations. I like them. But definitely proprietary.

The best upgrades in performance /function for the money is an slr adjustable gas block and a good trigger. Then free float handgaurd. If you have the pencil barrel, don't heat it up hotter than you can stand to put your hand on it so you don't ruin the bore and have a situation where it costs more to rebarrel than the gun is worth. Also be careful cleaning the bore so you don't damage it.

i never hot even my auto guns up. although in fl in aug that is an issue. thanks much for replies. really just want an ambi/ext cg handle. will reseach further. thanks again and anyone else?

i never hot even my auto guns up. although in fl in aug that is an issue. thanks much for replies. really just want an ambi/ext cg handle. will reseach further. thanks again and anyone else?
Yeah... best o' luck to ya'... I ended up just getting a PRI ECH and swapping it out with the OEM CH...

I think the M&P 10 is a great out of the box rifle, that benefits a lot from a very few, relatively inexpensive upgrades (free float tube, stock of choice, pistol grip of choice, brake of choice). My example is quite accurate, and has been 100% reliable, but it has not been shot more than a few hundred rounds. They are pretty inexpensive, and relatively lightweight. Awesome for hunting, and light duty precision use.

I would not mistake one for a precision rifle, and I would not dump much money into the platform. Better base guns for that, imo.

Not that the OP asked or implied any of that, just my observations. I like them. But definitely proprietary.

”I would not dump much money into the platform. Better base guns for that, imo.”

What makes other guns better? I’m asking because I ended up buying 2 by accident and was thinking about getting a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, gas tube, bcg, etc. for one. If they are subpar I could also just sell one.

I’m asking because I ended up buying 2 by accident

Ummm...How the hell did you buy two MP10s by accident???

If you put premium barrel, bcg, etc it should be fine but like SLG said, I wouldn’t sink the funds; if you are going to spend that kind of money, I’d instead sell both (on purpose) and buy an MLOK LMT MWS in 6.5 CMoor.

Some Addl MP10 info:

Ummm...How the hell did you buy two MP10s by accident???

If you put premium barrel, bcg, etc it should be fine but like SLG said, I wouldn’t sink the funds; if you are going to spend that kind of money, I’d instead sell both (on purpose) and buy an MLOK LMT MWS in 6.5 CMoor.

Some Addl MP10 info:

Gunbroker, bid on a 811311 and a 811308 for roughly what the 16’s sell for. Can’t say that I was disappointed that I won both. I don’t mind having extra rifles collecting dust.

I’m still curious why people say you shouldn’t put a good barrel on it.
Is the receiver no good?
Will it flex?
Is it too lightweight for precision work?
Or is it just because you will have as much money invested into a “cheap” rifle as you would have paid for a higher end rifle.

Or is it just because you will have as much money invested into a “cheap” rifle as you would have paid for a higher end rifle.

This. Plus With the higher end rifle, you will likely get more of your $$ back upon resale.

Last edited:
Gunbroker, bid on a 811311 and a 811308 for roughly what the 16’s sell for. Can’t say that I was disappointed that I won both. I don’t mind having extra rifles collecting dust.

I’m still curious why people say you shouldn’t put a good barrel on it.
Is the receiver no good?
Will it flex?
Is it too lightweight for precision work?
The point is you're not gonna just pick-up a DPMS pattern barrel and swap it in. The M&P barrel extension is proprietary (along with pretty much everything else... ), and S&W won't sell you one... heck, they won't even sell you a replacement barrel... So if you want to change out the barrel you'll have to take your existing barrel to your smith and have him spin-up a new barrel using the extension from your existing barrel to get it to work. Can it be done? Yes... Is it a wise investment of time, energy, and $$ (in light of all the other proprietary parts...) IMHO, No.
I still have my M&P 10 (stock except for the grip, buttstock, forend, gas block, and muzzle device), but when I wanted a "precision" barrel, et al., I built a new DPMS pattern rifle off a Mega receiver set.

Last edited:
Ok, lets say you're running head-long, eyes-wide-shut, down the rabbit hole of swapping a barrel on a M&P rifle. I'f you're willing to ditch the bolt and carrier along with the barrel, can you just fully switch over to DPMS pattern? Is there something proprietary about the upper receiver that prevents you from gutting the thing and moving to something [Air Quotes] standard [/Air Quotes]?

I don't own one, but find this an interesting thought exercise none the less.

According to this thread it is not that big of a deal. If I'm understanding correctly you just have to buy a barrel, gas tube, and a BCG. Maybe the guy that did it was a smith or he left the part out that a smith had to do some machining to make it work. It seems everyone is dying to buy an extra barrel and BCG for their M&P10's. So I assume it would be no problem selling a new take off barrel, BCG, and gas tube(not that I necessarily would). I'm just wanting a lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor and I like how my M&P10 feels after changing a couple things. I'm was just curious why everyone recommends swapping barrels on a 5.56, but thinks it's a bad idea on an M&P10. I understood when everyone was saying that it couldn't be done unless it was a custom job, but if I can do it at home I would be interested in doing it.

Bcg, barrel, gas tube/block and thats it. Handguards are DPMS low profile.

I'm not aware of a single person who's done it successfully. There was a guy on ARF who did a big long-winded write-up claiming he'd done so, right up until it came time to send some rounds down-range. At that point he was forced to modify his "Yes you can... Here's how... to Not so much... Couldn't make it work..."
If you've done one and shot it reliably I'd be interested (very...) in hearing about it, in detail. If your experience is anecdotal color me skeptical. to say the least!
And yes... the handguards are DPMS Low, that's one of the few modifications that can be successfully undertaken in my experience.

I'm not aware of a single person who's done it successfully. There was a guy on ARF who did a big long-winded write-up claiming he'd done so, right up until it came time to send some rounds down-range. At that point he was forced to modify his "Yes you can... Here's how... to Not so much... Couldn't make it work..."
If you've done one and shot it reliably I'd be interested (very...) in hearing about it, in detail. If your experience is anecdotal color me skeptical. to say the least!
And yes... the handguards are DPMS Low, that's one of the few modifications that can be successfully undertaken in my experience.

He posted in that thread. I think he would like to see a step by step picture thread with a positive review. I know I would.

Interesting read. Thank you.
So... if I understand correctly: You can upgrade a M&P10 barrel if you pretty-much strip the upper down to a bare receiver, replace all the stock parts: bolt, bolt carrier, buffer, et al. plus, of course, the barrel, gas block, gas tube, and associated parts... Hmmm, interesting "upgrade" path...

Interesting read. Thank you.
So... if I understand correctly: You can upgrade a M&P10 barrel if you pretty-much strip the upper down to a bare receiver, replace all the stock parts: bolt, bolt carrier, buffer, et al. plus, of course, the barrel, gas block, gas tube, and associated parts... Hmmm, interesting "upgrade" path...
I guess if one could find a smoking deal on an M&P10 it would be worth it. They have some pretty good ambi features like right side bolt hold open/release. Pretty much exactly the same way the LMT MARS rifles are set up.

I’ll comment on this.

You can change a barrel on an M&P 10.
It is not hard or even that special.
I did it and so can you!

1. Buy any DPMS pattern barrel you wish.
2. Buy any DPMS pattern complete BCG you wish.
3. Buy a gas tube proper for the barrel you bought.
4. Install all those parts together. If you’ve assembled an AR before you know what to do.
5. Check your headspace with Go/No-Go gages.

Next go shooting.
I did this with a Criterion barrel and Toolcraft BCG. Shoots great.

I’ll comment on this.

I did it and so can you!

4. Install all those parts together. If you’ve assembled an AR before you know what to do.

Next go shooting.

Now to take that even one step further.... you swap out barrel and BCG on your M&P10, and now you’ve got this barrel and bolt carrier laying around. You’ve also got numerous other spare parts, like a take off handguard, a butt stock, some others. A guy might say, dang I wish I could put some of these parts together for another blasting rifle... well, I’m here to tell you that you can do that too!

I picked up a basic Aero M5 receiver set on the cheap. Used my MP10 barrel and BCG in the assembly, checked headspace, it was good to go. Shoots good. Went from spare parts to working rifle easy and cheap.

Reactions: Lug Nut and Merle
Now to take that even one step further.... you swap out barrel and BCG on your M&P10, and now you’ve got this barrel and bolt carrier laying around. You’ve also got numerous other spare parts, like a take off handguard, a butt stock, some others. A guy might say, dang I wish I could put some of these parts together for another blasting rifle... well, I’m here to tell you that you can do that too!

I picked up a basic Aero M5 receiver set on the cheap. Used my MP10 barrel and BCG in the assembly, checked headspace, it was good to go. Shoots good. Went from spare parts to working rifle easy and cheap.
I'd even say headspace check isnt even required. If it was good when isnatlled on the M&P10 upper it will be good in the Aero upper.

Reactions: awpk03s
I’ll comment on this.

I did it and so can you!

Next go shooting.

Two questions, please:
Are you using the original M&P 10 buffer and spring with the above?
Ditto for the receiver extension?