• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W M&P 22 compact

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Product: Smith & Wesson M&P®22 Compact

One article said it was 20% smaller than the standard M&P, but that the width was the same.

I am kinda looking forward to this, I was in the market for a smaller 22 for the gf. She is tiny and really only enjoys shooting 22s. My first thought was the browning 1911-22 compact, since that is basically a 7/8ths scale 1911. But at 600 bucks, the smith comes out the better option. I want to find one in a store and let her handle them side-by-side, but I am still betting this smith is going to be a series contender.

*edit*
And a thread with some pics of it.

Have you tried the Ruger SR22? or the Walther P22? Not saying the S&W is bad at all, just giving you ideas. SR22 can be had brand new for 300 out the door. I have also seen Walther P22 go for about 315 out the door.

Last edited:
P22 would be my last choice. SR22 fixed a lot of why I wouldn't choose P22.
M&P22 Compact is a nice pistol and made by S&W instead of Walther (as the M&P22 is now).
I have the M&P22 and it has been a good one so far. Very easy to use as a suppressor host. Only issue was that the front sight loosened up on a PD shoot.

I'm interested in the m&p as well. I do like a lot of .22's.

Also check out these:
Ruger 22/45
Sr22
Sig mosquito
Walther p22

I like the S&W do to its size, and its commonality of look and feel with the full size line. That way if she ever wants a centerfire, nothing changes for her. And I get a pretty good discount on the smith, since my dealer is a good buddy.

I took the m&p 22 compact out this past weekend for my first experience with it. I can tell you that the function of this pistol out of the box has put my Sig mosquito to shame. And the size of the thing is nearly an exact match to the m&p shield. Slide being slightly longer and safety being larger.. Other than that it will be a perfect trainer for a m&p shield. Width and height are exact match with the extended mag in the shield

This is interesting to me. I wanted to love the mosquito and the P22 but they are so unreliable it's not funny.

I have one of the fullsize M&P 22's. We have had it about 2 or 3 years and have put a couple thousand rounds through it. Mine seems to be kind of picky on what ammo it likes. I bought some of the CCI automatch. Out of 4 mags full, it never ejected a single round. The Federal 525rd bulk ammo seems to shoot the best in it.

I played with the compact in a shop, like the feel. The safety felt better then the fullsize 22 or my centerfire guns. It was out o state, otherwise it might have went home with me.
My full size M&P22 shoots auto-match just fine...go figure.

We ran federal lightening, federal auto match, CCI for ar platform, CCI mini mag, CCI standard velocity, aguilla pistol match, and Remington golden bullets through the 22 compact and the only failure we had the entire day was a failure of the ammo.. And actually had very few duds in the bulk packs, so S&W might really have their stuff together with this one guys

ETA: the subsonic rounds were not fired with suppressor, it cycled sub's flawlessly right out of the box.

Last edited:
This is interesting to me. I wanted to love the mosquito and the P22 but they are so unreliable it's not funny.

On a side note about the mosquito, after some filling and polishing the one I currently have will eat anything but Winchester super x.. I can show you what I did with mine if you would like to give it a try

Bloody hell. I went to my dealer to order one today and being in NY I cannot get them due to the threaded barrel.

So I bought a glock 26 frame and advantage arms 22lr kit instead. I will get a teany 22 plinker even if it kills me! =P

^^^^Man I feel sorry for you guys living behind the lines. The notion of a firearm not being available to purchase due to threads on the end of the barrel is beyond absurd.

Ordered one for $249 from psa. Should be here in two days. Hopefully it isn't a jam-o-matic.

A little more than 800 rounds through mine so far, mixed brands and loads. Really likes my old (over 25 years) cases of Std. Vel. Remington Target, and CCI Mini Mags. Only issues were with two bad priming charges, both modern Rem. bulk-junk.
Some of the "creep" is starting to wear out of the trigger pull, but my son still thinks it's great as-is.