• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W MP15-22

Truth223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Central,Il
Any thoughts on this rifle? Im buying a house soon,and only shoot at the local indoor range so I need something cheap to shoot.

Re: S&W MP15-22

I have one of the first that hit the shelves. It's more picky about ammo, but runs fine on CCI Mini Mags and SV stuff. I haven't found accuracy to be that bad. I didn't have too much of a problem hitting golf balls more often that not at 100 with a little 3X scope.

I don't know. The trigger may have something to do with it. I'm running a Geissele SSA trigger group. I do like it, but have to admit that I only take it out when I think about it. I usually favor my 10/22.

For the price of the Smith, you can get into a 10/22 and put a good barrel on it. I shoot a whole lot of rimfire and the Smith is probably the .22 that I shoot the least.

If an AR-22 is what you want, then the Smith is the one to get. If you are just looking for a semi auto .22, I think there are better choices for less money.

I recently bought the basic M&P 15-22. Have about 200rds so far. I had gotten it to shoot in a local .22 matches. Less than 50 yards generally.

So far it has been reliable and easy to control. Same controls as any AR platform. Plus being so lightweight is a added bonus.

Sights are lacking a bit, fine for plinking. I have a small red dot sight on it now and not too thrilled how that works. Even with a riser, the dot doesn't cowitness like my regular AR does.
Still looking into some type of optic for it.

Extra mags have been on backorder for some time now in most dealers and online sources.

As far as a accurate .22, I have a CZ 452 Varmint. Thought it being a bolt action it isn't good for competition speed.

Cut

I have one of the Sig 522 rifles and with a little red-dot on top it is almost boringly accurate within 50m. I haven't had a chance to really test it out to 100 as my wife keeps stealing it away and dumping the mags faster than I can keep them loaded... I have several .22s...this one and one of the 10/22s though are the ones that get shot the most.

I have two right now, a black threaded barrel and a MOE in FDE. Both have been ultra-reliable and accurate. If you want an AR platform 22LR the M&P is the best as far as controls go.

i bought my daughter one and with a good scope i was able to hit a 12"x20" steel target at 300 yards. pretty fun and cheap...
pinkmp15-22.jpg

I have 12,000 rounds through mine. I use it as a cheap training tool, not for target shooting.

For what its worth, I have had a great time with mine, and the ability to shoot as many rounds as I feel like in a training session without worrying about my wallet... has been very beneficial.

I shoot CCI brand ammo and have never had any issues with it. Accuracy has been more than good enough for any tactical shooting Ive done 50m and in. I have shot it at 100m, and while its no tack driver, it also doesnt look like your shooting a shotgun either. Center mass groupings while standing at 100m are not a problem.

In my opinion, buy this gun if you want to use it as a tactical training tool. If you want it to shoot MOA or less at distance, look for something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARS031</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 12,000 rounds through mine. I use it as a cheap training tool, not for target shooting.

For what its worth, I have had a great time with mine, and the ability to shoot as many rounds as I feel like in a training session without worrying about my wallet... has been very beneficial.

I shoot CCI brand ammo and have never had any issues with it. Accuracy has been more than good enough for any tactical shooting Ive done 50m and in. I have shot it at 100m, and while its no tack driver, it also doesnt look like your shooting a shotgun either. Center mass groupings while standing at 100m are not a problem.

In my opinion, buy this gun if you want to use it as a tactical training tool. If you want it to shoot MOA or less at distance, look for something else. </div></div>

I concur. It's a great training tool. I'm running an Aimpoint M4 on mine. It replicates my "real guns" just fine. New shooters love it. With best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biteemnbeatem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i bought my daughter one and with a good scope i was able to hit a 12"x20" steel target at 300 yards. pretty fun and cheap...
pinkmp15-22.jpg

</div></div>

Lol $2k scope on a $300 gun.. that's awesome.

hey that talo edition pink put me at $550 because I had to go to my local gun shop and pay for next day shipping and tax and the freaking gun shop premium over my local sporting goods store...LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on this rifle? Im buying a house soon,and only shoot at the local indoor range so I need something cheap to shoot. </div></div>

I suggest an AR15 and a 22 LR conversion kit, 2 rifles in one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on this rifle? Im buying a house soon,and only shoot at the local indoor range so I need something cheap to shoot. </div></div>

I suggest an AR15 and a 22 LR conversion kit, 2 rifles in one. </div></div>

My 15/22 cost less than most .22 uppers, and eliminates the necessity of swapping uppers. It's quite accurate with bulk ammo, and very fun to shoot. So fun that I bought the pistol version as well!

I think what he was referring to is a drop in bolt conversion.

I used to have a CMMG bolt conversion and it was flawless. The only problem is the barrel was a 1/9 instead of 1/16 which most .22LR's want.

There are issues with using conversions in AR uppers. Accuracy is worse, as you are sending a .222 bullet down a .224 barrel. You also do not get quite the same manipulations, as none really lock back on an empty magazine and stay locked to duplicate the manual of arms of an AR. The advantage is you're using your weapon with your accessories without having to purchase duplicates. There are definite tradeoffs, and I can say this from running 13 M261 units through thousands of rounds for cheaper LE training and a magazine article. But I can also say that if I had the choice, I would prefer the 15-22.

I rented and shot a 15-22 at the range today. There were some definite pros and cons. I liked the way it was similiar to the AR,size,details etc etc. But the accuracy was shit,and it felt like a plastic toy. Maybe I need to rent it again to see if it grows on me. My scoped marlin 795 would shoot the lights out of the 15-22. Maybe I should just build a dedicated .22 AR

I really like the M&P 15-22. The best accessory I have added to my 15-22 is the slidefire stock. It will dump a whole mag in about 2 seconds. Mine is very accurate with CCI green tag ammo. I get decent (2"@50) accuracy with other brands. It hates remington ammo, the federal and winchester bulk packs are good to go. The stock trigger is not great, my groups shrank when I put a decent trigger in it. As long as you load the magazine properly, the rifle is very reliable as well.

I wish I could afford to put a Night Force on mine! That gun is sweet!

Looking to pick one of these as well. I have a few friends that have them. Fun little package to plink with.

Susan and I just picked one up. I dont have very many rds thru it you but I shot a 5 rd prone unsupprted group yesterday I could cover with a nickel. 3 rds were same hole. Im ok with the accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Susan and I just picked one up. I dont have very many rds thru it you but I shot a 5 rd prone unsupprted group yesterday I could cover with a nickel. 3 rds were same hole. Im ok with the accuracy. </div></div>

This accuracy is typical of both of mine. Also, the unthreaded barrel on I had before. I think, as far as the rental gun, the ammo may have been the culprit. FWIW, none of mine have ever been happy with any Remington ammo.

I am very pleased with mine, its been very reliable with several brands of ammo except for Remington bulk ( 550 rd box ), accuracy is good enough for me, I don't use it as a target rifle for matches or anything like that but I don't have a problem hitting 4" targets @ 100 yds off hand with a 2.5-10 scope on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BC520</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are issues with using conversions in AR uppers. Accuracy is worse, as you are sending a .222 bullet down a .224 barrel. You also do not get quite the same manipulations, as none really lock back on an empty magazine and stay locked to duplicate the manual of arms of an AR. </div></div>

Just a note that CMMG has brought a bolt-hold-open device for AR-15/22 uppers to market. It works with many Ciener-style conversion kits. Installation was simple on my Spike's ST-22 and it works as it should. Mags drop free and the bolt stays open until you hit the bolt release.

The biggest difference in operation between my primary AR and ST-22 dedicated .22LR AR, besides caliber, is the distance the charging handle travels. It's much shorter on the .22.

I have tried several kinds of ammo in mine to see what it likes. I have a red dot on it for plinking, so I am not hyper-critical about accuracy.

It will run some old Remington High Velocity round nose I have had for 10 years.
It will NOT run Winchester 36 grain hollow point copper plated. Every round after charging the gun, hits the breach face and jambs. No, it isn't the magazine.
It runs Winchester M22 40 grain black copper plated round nose very well. I just picked up 1000 round box at Dick's for $50.
I want to try CCI Mini Mag, but I have only seen them in 100 round boxes and Dick's only had 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Performance Center model that I shot suppressed.

Handled great...operated really well for subsonic ammo and being an auto...accuracy was total shit.

2.5" groups at 50yds with a 20X power scope regardless of ammo quality.

If you wanna fuck around and toss bullets in a general vacinity without any expectation of hitting it accurately...it was great.

A walmart 10/22 is cheaper and more accurate than that pile was. Sold to a friend that's bananas over AK's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0DVwrxEeVM </div></div>

Interesting. I've got a standard model 15-22 with the threaded barrel. Fire it suppressed. Everything from Remington subsonics to CCI mini-mags. It will hollow out a 1" square at 25 yards with a little Vortex Strikefire sitting on top. I'm looking at installing a match trigger in hopes of reducing the groups a little more. I'm happy with mine.

I have two. A performance center model, and a standard model. After about 1000 rounds the Perf. model started to hang up. The center rail on the bottom of the bolt got worn down, and that led to the bolt riding over the bolt release, and getting snagged. I swapped bolts between the two guns, and ran about 1000 more rounds through both of them. Both guns ran flawless. Wierd problem it was. The Perf. model seems fine for the time being. Accuracy for me is great with both guns. Half dollar sized metal plates at 30 yards all day long. I run the Federal bulk ammo and I believe its the 36gr. rounds. They are good cheap fun.

I've had good luck with the M&P's, but I really like the Sig 522 even better. I prefer the classic swat model because it has the quad rail. I just dont like the polymer handguards. They are extremely accurate, and have a very heavy barrel.

I've got the MOE version and find my go to ammo are Mini-Mags plus I also use Stingers from time to time. I'll get Federal and Armscor from the range sometimes and they perform pretty well also. The rifle gives you some cheap trigger time and is currently being used as a trainer for both my kids. I broke them in with a 3-9x40 scope I usually keep on it and pulled that off to start training them with the BUIS now that they have gotten familiar with it.

People tend to ask me more about that rifle then my other AR's put together. It is a light rifle without a scope but that goes away once you put something with mass on it (vertical grips, bipods, scopes, etc.)

I had one that jammed immediately out of the box. I sent it back and a few weeks later the slide is smooth as butter now. Never bought this for beyond 50y but more likely just to pop off rounds close range and have fun.