• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sad at the number of Soldier suicides.

Re: Sad at the number of Soldier suicides.

No surprise. The military treats 2/3rd of a person, and only 1/3 with any actual good, proven medicine.

Body- treated very well; many advancements
Mental- Shoddy; quackery; too little consistency
Spiritual- Dead in the water; Mil Chaplains are USELESS

Lose the last and the middle goes soon after, and it takes the first with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No surprise. The military treats 2/3rd of a person, and only 1/3 with any actual good, proven medicine.

Body- treated very well; many advancements
Mental- Shoddy; quackery; too little consistency
Spiritual- Dead in the water; Mil Chaplains are USELESS

Lose the last and the middle goes soon after, and it takes the first with it. </div></div>

+1 Good post. The heart/emotional body is really the key to the whole being. One can be brain dead, like Shankster
whistle.gif
, for years but the body continues. When the heart stops its all over prety quickly, and by my studies, the heart is where the real core of a man (or woman) lies. Break the heart, break the being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The number is shocking.</div></div>How many?

Because considering the number of military personnel, and the demographic within, the number of suicides isn't that many.

Granted, it's been consistently high lately, and probably more than a few could have been prevented but, despite what the military says and what the people want to hear, the system is not designed to cater to the needs of the individual.

Could the answer be mental illness? By percentage of population the numbers aren't too far off the mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The number is shocking.</div></div>How many?

Because considering the number of military personnel, and the demographic within, the number of suicides isn't that many.

Granted, it's been consistently high lately, and probably more than a few could have been prevented but, despite what the military says and what the people want to hear, the system is not designed to cater to the needs of the individual.</div></div>
300 some odd last year. If the trend continues something like 350 or more this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes there is not an answer. At least an answer that we understand </div></div>

Chill, I think its not that we 'cant' understand the problem but that we have chosen to expend more treasure on going to Mars, and having 2nd and 3rd homes and not investing more into learning about this area.

I dont go into this much because most folks just arent interested but Ill share some of what ive learned in the hope that it might hrelp even one of you or give you some insight that may help someone else.

As I stated above, its not the mind that the problem lies in, its the heart...meaning the spiritual/emotional seat of an individual. Think about when you feel really strong emotion...rage, fear, love, disgust...where do you really experience what you feel. At least for myself, I find that I feel it/sexperience it, in the area of my (physical) heart. Its not til Ive experienced it there that the mind becomes involved and starts to reason ABOUT what the heart has felt.

Sometimes we experience too much and the heart/emotions overload and short circut. Ive neveer been in combat like many of you, but having arrived early on the scene of a couple of really nasty car wrecks...one a classmate hit by a train, I can imagine some of what you must have experienced. Your best buddy three meters away steps on a mine and is blown into 6 pieces...think about the horror yuor heart experiences...each is different...some deal with it, and some just overload. The overload doesnt always become apparent immediatly. Sometimes, its like a small small wound thats bandaged but left untreated, festers and becomes gangrened. In the realm of the emotions this state is just untenable and so the mind deals with it by ending the pain.

But it soesnt always have to be a major trauma...sometimes it can be the smallest of things. When I was ablut 5-6 years old, a person in authority over me prevented me from doing something that shoulld have been the most normal thing in the world. They didnt even do it in a mean way, but they didnt take the time to explain to me about the situation. It wasnt a big thing but it confused me on that issue and everthing concerning that area. It didnt show up immediatly, but because of the confusion, and a sense of being treated unjustly, it threw me into rebellion. As the rebellion grew, the confusion grew, which fueled the rebellion which fueled the confusion....etc. By the time I was thirty or so I was so fucked up that I thought about suicide every day...and I didnt even know why, because just like that little wound that isnt treated, just covered with a bandage, the problem had grown out of all proportion. Im not a real believer in any sort of diety, though I dont deny it, I must admit that except for what i can only chalk up to divine intervention, because of the pain and confusion in my heart,I would have ended up klilling myself, and perhaps many others. The problem wasnt in the mind...I could think and reason alright, went back to University and did quite well...the problem was in the heart. Why does any regularly normal person go off the deep end...like at Virginia Tech, or Colorado, or Arizona, with the Giffords shooting? So I do believe one hads the right to end ones one life if they choose, though not the right to end others lives. Something wounded that individual at some level and they just overloaded, and had to stop the pain, or in these cases take it out on others...if they would only have suicided it would have been bbetter...not good but better. I was sitting having coffee the other day and a bunch of young kids came in. They were so cute and innocent. The thought hit me that one day one of these beautiful young children could overload and become the next mass murderer. What causes that?

So that brings us to how do we deal with this type of problem?

I think the first step is aknowledged aabove...recognizing there is a problem, and then where it originates. Some wise man said "You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.". The next step, I think is in providing access to, often times, just someone to talk to. Ive heard ads on the radio from various veterns groups telling vets where they can find others that have shared their exerience. But I also think that the establishment that sends men and women to war, progtrams them to kill and be killed, experiece these horrors, has the responsibility to deprogram and make sure that these issues are dealt with. It may just come down to you vets fucking writting your congressmen and president and yelling at the top of your lungs theat "We need help.". Its a place to begin...sometimes just having someone to talk to can do a world of good. Sometimes medications may help...not the kind that dull you and make you numb, but the ones that aid in thinking through things, and allowing the heart and mind to see and experience the "truth" of the situation. "Know the truth and the truth shall make you free." The heart and mind can deal with the truth...its the confusion that brings the darkness puts out the light.

Hope this is doing some good. Think Ill pause there.

the system cant be blame for every suicide , some can be prevent but some you will never know until it happen , i have talk to people in the morning and they look all happy and after lunch time we had a formation to inform us that the person kill him self . even worst we had a sergeant kill his wife and him self and still under investigation because no one knows what motivated him to do something like this , everybody describe him as a peaceful man ...

Suicide in the army is something i hear about every single day. Im stationed at Ft. Campbell and it seems like we have a suicide about every two months. We have resilience training almost once a month, but it doesnt seem to help. a good friend of mine showed no signs of trouble, and in fact was happy as hell because he was about to ETS. Two days after he ETS'd, they found him dead in a hotel in nashville. another soldier in another brigade was found hanging in his barracks room not too long ago. i dont know what causes it, and therefore dont know how to fix it. i dont think anyone knows. our division commander put out a memorandum stating that the pentagons number one priority is suicide prevention, not the budget, not afghanistan, not iran. but when you consider that the army lost more soldiers to suicide last year than to combat related deaths i guess it makes sense. just my two cents, take it for what its worth. boydo

Sept is actually suicide prevention month in the Army.

There is NO answer to this problem. They say we need to talk about it but there are others that say talking makes it worse ergo if everyone else is doing it than I guess it's ok.