• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Safariland mid ride help

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Looking at switching up my setup for my Sig P320 full size. I know which holster I want. But I’m trying to figure out the best mid ride setup. To drop the sidearm below my plate carrier and pack belt.

I’m stuck between the RGR - UBL or the single strap leg shroud with drop flex adapter.

Any ideas which one will work better for me? Definitely don’t want the setup flopping around.

I set up my Safariland for a G-Code RTI wheel.

I'm a fan, has its potential weaknesses but I like being able to change guns without stripping the belt to swap over.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jigstick
    I have a G Code holster now. But unfurtunately G Code doesn’t offer holsters with level 3 retention that are optics cut. Which has led me to the safariland 6304RDS

Looking at switching up my setup for my Sig P320 full size. I know which holster I want. But I’m trying to figure out the best mid ride setup. To drop the sidearm below my plate carrier and pack belt.

I’m stuck between the RGR - UBL or the single strap leg shroud with drop flex adapter.

Any ideas which one will work better for me? Definitely don’t want the setup flopping around.
    I went with the True North Modular Holster Adapter to get a mid ride and also allows me to swap holsters for other sidearms

I have a G Code holster now. But unfurtunately G Code doesn’t offer holsters with level 3 retention that are optics cut. Which has led me to the safariland 6304RDS
    All my holsters are either Safariland or Garrett Industries.

I mount a G Code adaptor plate to them and use the RTI mount.

Changing guns is a click away.

I would just call SafariLand. Their catalog is worthless but they are pretty helpful if you call and talk to them.

They’re going to be similar ride height, just personal preference if you want the paddle or not.

The RGR-UBL just drops the strap so it doesn’t ride up into your groin and the leg shroud/DFA more or less does the same thing but uses a paddle to disperse pressure from the strap instead of a little loop.

I’ve used the standard UBL mid-ride (not the RGR) and the leg shroud/DFA system and the latter is definitely more comfortable.

Last edited:
    I would just call SafariLand. They’re catalog is worthless but they are pretty helpful if you call and talk to them.

They’re going to be similar ride height, just personal preference if you want the paddle or not.

The RGR-UBL just drops the strap so it doesn’t ride up into your groin and the leg shroud/DFA more or less does the same thing but uses a paddle to disperse pressure from the strap instead of a little loop.

I’ve used the standard UBL mid-ride (not the RGR) and the leg shroud/DFA system and the latter is definitely more comfortable.
    Worst website ever……

You may have reasons/requirement but skipping the level 3 for just ALS is my recommendation.

This KTmech drop system works with the Safariland kits. Its also compatible with the paddle (which I prefer).

20200219_085542.jpg

I have tried most variations for the Safariland holsters with Sig P320 with / without optics and various lights.
    The GLS works well with optic without any light. The optic ready holsters I have the thermolaminate (not as strong or close fitting and can scratch your firearm despite the best intentioned suede liner) and the latest Safari7 injection molded (precision fit, stronger, will not mar the gun surface) models. I tried the UBL but it for me ti was not a stable enough platform to rapidly draw from, so much so I fabricated a Blackhawk belt retainer to the bottom of the holster, so in effect it was like the 6390 holsters etc.

I prefer the leg straps.
    For ultimate rigidity I even used fasteners to prevent upper portion of the flex tabs / holster mount moving independently.

Bill Rogers explains holster level retention system:

Safariland does not Level rate its Tactical/Military holsters nor their concealment holsters.

Safariland Unrated Concealment & Tactical Holsters copy.png

A bunch of photos of the UBL for those that may not know.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 9.17.35 PM.png
    IMG_4372 copy.JPG

IMG_4374 copy.JPG

IMG_4378e copy.jpg

Sig P320 Safariland RDS 6390 FDE HolsterIMG_6886 copy ANNOTATED 08.01.21  copy.jpg

Sig P320 Safariland RDS 6390 FDE HolsterIMG_6886 copy.jpg

Sig P320 Safariland RDS 6390 FDE HolsterIMG_6888 copy 2.jpg

Sig P320 Safariland RDS 6390 FDE HolsterIMG_6890 copy.jpg

Last edited:
    ...........GLS options.

The second photo shows the flex-tabs that can ride in front of / behind the drop flex tab. I prefer to fix these so they cannot choose which position to assume.

The RDS now available in black cammo pattern.

Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5805 copy.jpg
    Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5806 copy 2.jpg
    Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5807 copy.jpg
    IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_0147Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 PC Safariland RDS Black Cammo Holster 07.30.21 copy.jpg

Attachments

• Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5804.jpg
      Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5804.jpg
      554.8 KB · Views: 31
    Last edited:
    Reactions: SONIC SAAMI

I'm not really a fan of the drop leg strap set ups. I like the Trex arms leg strap with the grommit so it can spin freely and doesn't bind. I prefer the leg strap that isn't parallel to the leg.

The standard mid ride UBL work well with my biggest carrier, which is pretty bulky. See photos (straight up and down and bent towards the gun). I also really like the True North Concepts hanger as well, which is a bit lower if you need it.

Attachments

• IMG_8808.jpg
      IMG_8808.jpg
      535.7 KB · Views: 97
    • IMG_8809.jpg
      IMG_8809.jpg
      564.5 KB · Views: 177
    • IMG_8815.jpg
      IMG_8815.jpg
      845.7 KB · Views: 76
    Use the true north adaptor as well, only complaint is of your getting in and out of a vehicle a lot then it can jam against the car seat and be uncomfortable/ride your belt up.

got a question about the holster itself now. Two guns in question.

Sig P320 X Carry
    Sig P320 full size with X Carry Grip Module

Both have the same Sig Romeo
    Both have a stream light TL1 light

The only difference between the two is slide length…with the full-size being about 1/2in longer

If I order my Safariland holster for the full-size…will my smaller version also retain in it?

got a question about the holster itself now. Two guns in question.

Sig P320 X Carry
    Sig P320 full size with X Carry Grip Module

Both have the same Sig Romeo
    Both have a stream light TL1 light

The only difference between the two is slide length…with the full-size being about 1/2in longer

If I order my Safariland holster for the full-size…will my smaller version also retain in it?

But you bought the shorter slide for better carry than you want to take that away by using a long slide holster.

Holsters are expensive but worth saving to get the right one.

Not quite. My compact version I CCW with a Tier 1 holster. I have the Full-size version for when I’m doing pistol classes or doing “tactical” training at the range. The safari land holster is primarily being bought for this. But it would also be nice if my smaller pistol could fit in the Safariland. If I wanted to use that pistol for some similiar styled training. Hope I’m explaining this correctly

All day
    IMG_3798.JPG

Had a buddy sew up a leg strap that sandwiches behind the adapter. I would have got their leg strap but it was OOS, and my buddy makes me shit for free.

Edit-
    @Jigstick i could see where this could get annoying potentially if you were in a car allday, but standing around its great and they don't have the tendency to flip up like the plastic mounts safariland sells if you draw at an odd angle.

Obviously a leg strap would help, but the TNC definitely is solid. It's not cheap for a drop down bracket but I just did the buy once cry once method and was happy.

The abundance of adjustment options is nice also you can really dial it in with the slots and spacers

Last edited:
    Not quite. My compact version I CCW with a Tier 1 holster. I have the Full-size version for when I’m doing pistol classes or doing “tactical” training at the range. The safari land holster is primarily being bought for this. But it would also be nice if my smaller pistol could fit in the Safariland. If I wanted to use that pistol for some similiar styled training. Hope I’m explaining this correctly

Makes sense but in the end you are putting a size nine foot in a size ten shoe. Buy the right size gear. Holsters multiply.