• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safe Chamber Indicator - Magazine Style. 3D print your own

capotter2012

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2019
Indiana
I saw some safe chamber indicators that inserted just like magazines. I was too cheap to purchase one from Flagazine or another company and so I modeled and printed my own. Anyone is welcome to the model files to tweak them, or just take the .stl files to print yourself.

SolidWorks, .STEP, and .stl files exported both in inches and meters (depending on what your 3D printer might default read in) are available in this google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=197ySGh_mzbvvsLBYxSHBwDBIfsifz9yI

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_173028.jpg
    IMG_20200520_173028.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20200520_173016.jpg
    IMG_20200520_173016.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 276
I saw some safe chamber indicators that inserted just like magazines. I was too cheap to purchase one from Flagazine or another company and so I modeled and printed my own. Anyone is welcome to the model files to tweak them, or just take the .stl files to print yourself.

SolidWorks, .STEP, and .stl files exported both in inches and meters (depending on what your 3D printer might default read in) are available in this google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=197ySGh_mzbvvsLBYxSHBwDBIfsifz9yI
Sending you a pm about it.

RO Karen would not allow it. It doesn't go into your chamber, thus indicating it's clear.

I like the idea, also, can't really loose it, which is a big bonus.

Reactions: capotter2012
RO Karen would not allow it. It doesn't go into your chamber, thus indicating it's clear.

I like the idea, also, can't really loose it, which is a big bonus.
One to many discharges using that style at matches. That was why the change to flags was made for CMP and NRA games.

I still believe it's the ROs job to clear a firearm. They control the course of fire, they check clear for removing from the line. However, safety is everyone's responsibility. Personally (as a RO, which I often am) I'd allow it. It's MY responsibilty to check clear. They also look cool as shit

Reactions: capotter2012
I still believe it's the ROs job to clear a firearm. They control the course of fire, they check clear for removing from the line. However, safety is everyone's responsibility. Personally (as a RO, which I often am) I'd allow it. It's MY responsibilty to check clear. They also look cool as shit
Different games. It couldn't be used for Service Rifle/High Power. I think it could be used for 3 Gun. Sounds like it is good for PRS. RO's have more interaction in those events.

Depending on the match you may have 10 to 100 shooters on the line at once, the line officials may have a quarter of the firing line to check. I'm not sure what year the Open Bolt Indicator was dropped from Service Rifle. We used either one but too many shooters using OBIs left rounds chambered in AR and fired them during the next prep or after a match. Too many in Service Rifle could be the second one at Nationals, or two or the incident reports from smaller matches.

A personal opinion is "too many people trying to please the nanny's among us". A professional opinion is "you can never be too safe".

After 20 years in the Navy, 2 in a CVN Safety Department, 1 year as an FAA contractor, and going on 14 as a Navy contractor and civilian, "Safety is paramount." Comes to mind. Ultimately, safety third is more realistic.

I'll post the video we use for training tomorrow.