• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safest Priming Tool

If safety is our only concern I would think a bench mounted system that is a one at a time operation. It would also be the slowest.

Thinking of a Sinclair Priming Tool but wonder how is it handling live primers.

Safety gas a lot more to do with the operator of the tool than the tool itself. The Sinclair will be just fine. I prefer the century 21 though.

I have the Sinclair hand primer and use if with large rifle primers. It is strong, reliable and I consider it safe. Hope this helps

I use a Lee hand primer. I had the old one but I broke the handle. I loaded tens of thousands of rounds on that old one. I have only had the new one for a few months. I have probably loaded maybe 3000 rounds with it. Just a wild guess. But I liked the old one better. The new one does keep you from getting two primers in at once. But it gives me more trouble than the old one.

I have never popped a primer while using a hand tool. But about a week ago I got one in sideways. I pried it out with a tiny screwdriver. I was wearing safety glasses. It went bang! I almost peed myself.

My experience mirrors yours, I ran with the old Lee priming tool from 1994 till about 2005 when the handle broke and saw no reason to reinvent the wheel so bought their new model.
I have never had any safety issues with either.

Reactions: h3dgehawk
No idea on safest, however common sense and reasonable precaution would dictate here.
I use a CPS Lite, it's extremely easy to get into a groove, and rather difficult to prime a primed case, as you have to manually load the next primer.

Thinking of a Sinclair Priming Tool but wonder how is it handling live primers.
I bought a Sinclair tool in the early 1990s and have loaded a lot of ammo since then - benchrest and a little pistol but mostly precision rifle. Never had a misfire, never inserted a primer backwards, never had a primer go off while priming, I have some ammo that is about 20 years old - works fine. I am pretty fast with it, YMMV.