• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safety Glasses: How good is good enough!

Shooterken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2011
Central Ohio
I've been following the thread about catastrophic failure and it started me thinking about the quality of safety glasses.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/228160-catastrophic-failure.html

I personally wear the best glasses I can afford because my eyes are the only pair I have and they won't grow back if something were to happen. However, I see others at the range with $2k-$3k optics but they have $20.00 pair of safety glasses. My question is does the optical quality of safety glasses effect the quality of what you see through the optics on the rifle:

Yes, the optical qualities of glasses affect how well you see through the scope or without the scope.

At a minimum you want glasses rated to meet ANSI Z87 standard. Which pretty much any safety glasses will.

You can get fancy name brand ones. Or get less expensive ones from Home Depot.

I wear prescription glasses, so I get mine made by Morgan Optical. The Morgans (father and son) are shooters. I have Randolph Ranger frames that offer interchangeable lenses and place the lens higher on your face so when shooting you are looking though the proper part of the lens.

I have lenses in brown (sunny days, the brown enhances contrast), yellow (indoors, dusk, or heavy overcast, yellow enhances contrast), and target purple (for clays).

Good question. The only glasses I have noticed any optical issues are polarized glasses. Hopefully an opthamologist will chime in.

However, I see others at the range with $2k-$3k optics but they have $20.00 pair of safety glasses. My question is does the optical quality of safety glasses effect the quality of what you see through the optics on the rifle:

It definitely does. I've noticed the same thing at the range and it's silly.

I buy cheap glasses by the dozen and leave them all over the place... on all my fixed power tools, mowers, weed whacker, chain saws, in the truck, tucked in the liner of my fire helmet, etc. I also own a good quality pair that I keep in my range bag. The idea is that there should never be a case where I take a short cut and go without any protection.... the difference between cheap glasses and no glasses is much more critical than the difference between cheap and good glasses.

I like the Pyromex brand... usually pay about $2 each...

Believe me, I'm not advocating not using safety glasses and a cheap set is better than nothing. What are some of the optically best safety glasses and how much would someone expect to pay for them.