• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safety Recall - Ruger Mark IV Recall

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/

vt-logo.svg

Thank you, safety notices always appreciated.

I always wanted a MK3, but when I saw my buddy take it apart to clean it... uhh... NO.

Then the Mark 4 came out... YES.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Yeah, something I saw today, new to me, sorry...

I have a MkIII and love it.
Though, always wanted the MkIV for takedown ease.

I love to hate my mk3.

The disassembly first couple of times I wanted to sell it. Now I can do it blindfolded, I still don’t fully understand what’s happening in the reassembly process but if you give it a love tap while holding it upside down, it sets the hammer strut at the right place and you can put the mainspring back.

The mags are garbage, the LCI is retarded and I couldn’t get the pin out to remove it and it was causing feeding/ejection issue so I had to bubba it out.
But
It’s very accurate. Especially with a tandemkross trigger.
The grip angle is similar as a 1911 and can use the same grips (just need to trim the edge for the slide release)
It’s a good beater and generally once it’s tuned it’ll run fine with CCI SV but mine needs constant cleaning and lubing to be reliable.

Ditch the mag safety in the MkIII and life becomes so much easier. Then learn to take just a few extra seconds to get the hammer strut in the right spot.

As others have noted, after taking down my MK-III a few times, the process became trivial . . . and I got a smokin' deal on it when the MK-IV released.

Last edited:
As others have noted, after taking down my MK-III a few times, the process became trivial . . . and I got a smokin' deal on it whe the MK-IV released.

Yep, and Volquartsen often has MK III parts on its website or posted on eBay at reduced prices. Here's a hammer with a mag safety eliminator bushing for $15:

And here is the complete trigger kit for $75 (with a 30% discount on two or more):

Posts like this are how I go from not having any unmodified MKIII pistols to having a few share sets of parts for these pistols to searching Armslist and GunBroker for good deals on more MKIII pistols despite already owning enough of this model pistol.

Reactions: buggz
Yeah, something I saw today, new to me, sorry...

I have a MkIII and love it.
Though, always wanted the MkIV for takedown ease.

No worries, still good to remind folks of since there are likely used guns floating around that haven’t had the repair done.

I only remembered the original date because of how the recall was handled at the time. You had to contact Ruger for a place in line for the recall repair. When it was your turn, they sent you a box with a prepaid label for you to send in the pistol.

There were enough guns effected by the recall in circulation that it took a while to get to my turn. Once I was able to send the pistol in Ruger had it back to me in less than 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: buggz
Yep, and Volquartsen often has MK III parts on its website or posted on eBay at reduced prices. Here's a hammer with a mag safety eliminator bushing for $15:

And here is the complete trigger kit for $75 (with a 30% discount on two or more):

Posts like this are how I go from not having any unmodified MKIII pistols to having a few share sets of parts for these pistols to searching Armslist and GunBroker for good deals on more MKIII pistols despite already owning enough of this model pistol.
Figures . . . I did pretty much the whole Volquartsen trigger package seceral years ago (and the stupid mag disconnect went bye-bye as well) but paid full price at the time . . . . grrrr . . . .

Last edited:
Figures . . . I did pretty much the whole Vokquartsen trigger package seceral years ago (and the stupid mag disconnect went bye-bye as well) but paid full price at the time . . . . grrrr . . . .

Well, buy a used MkIII, buy another set of trigger parts at the clearance pricing, and consider it to be your best attempt at dollar cost averaging.

Pro tip - add the closeout Volquartsen parts to your eBay cart, get distracted for several days and forget about them, and eventually you'll get a "special offer" from the seller for 20%.

So then I needed another MK III for these new parts, and thus probably overpaid a touch for a NIB bull-barrel threaded 22/45. And so it goes...

Thanks for the heads up, passed this along to a couple people I know with MK4s. As for the MK3 dis/re-assembly.. Once you know how to do it, it's not much harder than other pistols. I will say that the MK4 is much easier though.

My biggest gripe is that they changed the mag release. I know it's better and resembles almost every other modern pistol, but I still reach for the bottom of the mag well out of habit lol.

Last edited: