• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Sake anyone?

TLong

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
www.1042blue.wixsite.com
Anyone have any suggestions for a good Japanese Sake? I don't want/can't afford high dollar, but it is for a friend of mine as a gift. I've never had any, so I have no basis as to what to look for or shy away from.

Re: Sake anyone?

Habu Sake.
grin.gif

Google: Astor wine and spirits
goto the sake section anything "NAMA"

Habu isn't something I'd get for someone who isn't a real sake fan. It's a specialty sake that could go over like a fart in a phone booth. (Also, it's not a true sake; it's Okinawan.) Some people really like it, some don't, and if you don't know your friend's tastes, it might be something to try during a different occasion. You'd be mighty hard-pressed to find it in Alabama, much less the USA. The dead snake in the bottle doesn't get past the USDA and customs very well.

A nigori sake might be something within reason--it's easy enough to find on the West Coast, and maybe the Northern seaboard. I've seen it in a Gulf Coast liquor store (to my amazement), so finding it might be possible. It is a different type of (chilled) sake--it's sweet, not expensive and you might be able to find it in Alabama. Nigori is a different type of sake--"unfiltered"--there is some rice pulp contained in this sake, where other sakes are completely filtered and translucent in color. Generally, it's usually regarded as just a tad higher quality than the most publicly-favored mass-produced fare.

Sho Chiku Bai seems to be the big name here in the USA, but it's pretty ordinary unless you can get some of their better-distilled examples. If Alabama is anything like Mississippi, it could be hard to find anything truly refined. Most likely you'll find the main Japanese "Budweiser - Miller - Pabst" brands--Sho Chiku Bai, Gekkeikan, Hakutsuru, and Ozeki.

Most of the sakes I've seen in liquor stores in the Deep South are meant for warm serving; a nigori is supposed to be chilled-- I've not seen the better-quality warm sakes on the local shelves from Sho Chiku Bai, Gekkeikan, or Ozeki. The Southern following of Japanese liquors isn't very robust.

Royboy's suggestion could work if you're willing to order online.

Only sake I ever tried was in Mountain Home AR. I'd rather cut PGA with goat piss in the future.

Bob

I'm a huge fan of Taisetsu Ice Dome Sake, it was my first non-hot and still to this day remains my favorite. Very smooth, sweet but not overly-sweet like some plumb wines. Serve it chilled, room temp or warm is a little "eh" and takes away from the crispness.

Only about $20 for a 1.5L

i was given two bottles of hakutsuru sake by two japanese friends of friends that came to visit the states so i was enrolled to let them shoot a bunch or guns during a range day.
I have no idea if it is cold or warm sake as they left the next day.
any advices from the experts would greatly appreciated.

Most Asian markets or any decent little international store will carry Ozeki, it's decent both hot or cold and won't break the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was given two bottles of hakutsuru sake by two japanese friends of friends that came to visit the states so i was enrolled to let them shoot a bunch or guns during a range day.
any advices from the experts would greatly appreciated. </div></div>

Im no expert, but do enjoy sake chilled. Try some warm, try some chilled. No brainer...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was given two bottles of hakutsuru sake by two japanese friends of friends that came to visit the states so i was enrolled to let them shoot a bunch or guns during a range day.
any advices from the experts would greatly appreciated. </div></div>

Im no expert, but do enjoy sake chilled. Try some warm, try some chilled. No brainer...
grin.gif
</div></div>

good point my OCD hates wasting a good thing but i'll try it both way, what is the prefered method of warming it, I assume microwave is a no-no.