• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Sako 75 accuracy

gei

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2007
New Orleans, LA.
I asked this question once before and it was answered, but can't find it. I have 270 wsm and the accuracy is not up to par. Someone suggest a certain inch pounds of torque on the action screws to stock, If you read this , what did you suggest?

I have an inch # torque wrench and was trying 60 inch pounds front and 30 rear, someone quoted what factory recommended

Thanks if you can answer this

Re: Sako 75 accuracy

If it's a tupperware stock, you're probably real close. If non pillar bedded wood try 40 & 25.
Assume you have really cleaned it, tried a proven scope (works on another rifle), made sure the barrel is free floated and tried several brands of ammo with different bullet weights?

An inaccurate SAKO or Tikka (3 that won't go in 1") is almost unheard of.

If still does it, time for trip to gunsmith that knows what makes rifles shoot.

Thanks, it is a synthetic stock, was thinking about geting an accuracy innovations stock, they have aluminum bedding block

I would not spend a dime on a new stock until the bore is slugged, bore scoped, checked for straightness and the barreled action (alone) shot from a machine rest.

What type of mounts are you using?

The dovetail mounts are designed to get tighter (if they move at all) with recoil. You a have to hit these pretty hard to get a good tight fit. If they are not tight and you are shooting a rifle with fair amount of recoil then they will slide forward. Since the length between the mounts are determined by the distance you lock them onto the scope, one can be loose and one can be tight at any one time.

I wouldn't tinker with anything else until you have really got the mount situation fixed. The Leupold mounts are not really good for this rifle because they are not tapered where they interface with the receiver. The Burris mounts are better.

Gei,

I have several Sakos and Tikkas and the only times I have had this issue is loose mounts or loose action screws. I have a Sako 85 and by the third shot it the action screws would loosen until I loctited them with loctite Blue. I've had the mount issue with a couple Sako 75's. You're afraid to hit it too hard but you have to.

rick

Phone Richard Near at Near Manufactureing and have him send one of his 1 piece rails over for Sako 75's get your action drilled and tapped and have it fitted. Thats Sakos one true let down I think is that tapered Dovetail mounting set up. But its fixable with a Near Rail and drilling and tapping.