• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako 85 bolt face conversion?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have a sako 85 chambered in 260 that I'm going to rebarrel at some point to a #4 either carbon (if this ragged hole blank works out) or maybe a fluted 3B. However I'd really like to open up the bolt face to move it to a 6.5 SAUM, since we already have one. Alternatively I guess I could chamber in 260AI or terminator to get similar performance.

What type of ejector and extractor does it have?

Extractor is a Sako Extractor which would have to be replaced. I had forgotten the ejector is a springfield style, so slotted inertia.
    The ejector and extractor modifications are usually the biggest thing to figure out once you know the bolt head is large enough to open up safely. I opened up a Tikka to magnum. We thought we'd have to weld a small tab under the extractor pivot point to bump the claw out some more but we tried it before modifying it and it worked well as is.

With a mechanical ejector the extractor is probably your biggest challenge.

The 75 is a 3 lug bolt. All I had to do was open the bolt face up a little - the extractor sits very slightly more to the outside (.030') when it grips the SAUM cartridge, but before I altered anything there I thought I'd try it, and it worked perfectly. Photo from the interwebs
    1705873608973.png

Reactions: 5RWill
    The 75 is a 3 lug bolt. All I had to do was open the bolt face up a little - the extractor sits very slightly more to the outside (.030') when it grips the SAUM cartridge, but before I altered anything there I thought I'd try it, and it worked perfectly. Photo from the interwebs
    View attachment 8329207
    Ah i didn’t realize thought it was 2-lug like a tikka. I’m gonna give Chad a call then and rechamber in 6.5 SAUM

If you went 6.5 PRC you can use a Tikka T3 prefit.

Unbeknownst to most the tenon is the same on both rifles. Proof research state this on their website.

Theres 2 types of salo bolt faces. Control round feed and push feed.

You can convert either, ive done the CRF a few times. You need to open the face in a lathe and also open the side a bit to allow it to feed in easily, or! Do the whole job in a mill, which i found easier in the long run.
    85-TRG-Bolt-Head.jpg

Sako trg top, 85 bottom.

If you went 6.5 PRC you can use a Tikka T3 prefit.

Unbeknownst to most the tenon is the same on both rifles. Proof research state this on their website.

Yup i knew that but am trying to keep the 85 hunter walnut stock. So even a sendero lite will be too big. I’ve got a Wilson #4 carbon wrapped coming that i think will work. Gonna chamber in 6.5 prc Sherman improved. So i can just fireform factory ammo and role with it.
    Theres 2 types of salo bolt faces. Control round feed and push feed.

You can convert either, ive done the CRF a few times. You need to open the face in a lathe and also open the side a bit to allow it to feed in easily, or! Do the whole job in a mill, which i found easier in the long run.
    View attachment 8340635
    Sako trg top, 85 bottom.
    I ended up calling LRI and sent it their way. Also ordered a larger extractor just in case. But needless to say it’s being opened.