• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sako A7 stock upgrades

M77Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Aurora, IL
Just bought a new Sako A7 300 Win Mag last fall before deer season and am really happy with the gun. That being said, it weighs about 8.5 lbs with scope/rings. To sight in and shoot deer it is fine, but after 10 or 15 shots it becomes a bit of a beast to shoot.

I took it apart and looked at the overall stock layout and it looks like they (Sako) bed an aluminum piece into the stock that rests agains a recoil tab on the reciever. Not being that familiar with Sako's, is that the common design feature for other Sako's (75 or 85) or even the tikka's?

If that is common could I order a upgraded stock for a Tikka T3 and use that directly on a Sako A7? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Sako A7 stock upgrades

Would also like to know the answer to this ... just picked up an A7 in .270WSM for hunting season 2010. I like the original stock but am somewhat of a modder and like to have my options...

Btw I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on it... should be a fun hunting gun. Not too heavy, not shiny, didn't cost an arm and a leg even with the scope.

One other question I have is that when I cycle the action unloaded it's super smooth when engaging. When its loaded it's remarkably stiff to pull the handle all the way down - I oiled it up really well and cleaned the factory crud off - is this regular?

Re: Sako A7 stock upgrades

I noticed the same thing, but mine feels like the stiffness is from the bolt sliding over the end of the case. I can also feel when the extractor clicks on the case head.

Seems to be a good rifle for now, just need to find ammo that it likes to shoot (so far cheap Remington 150 core-lokts shoot ~1" at 100).

I wouldn't mind finding a nice tactical setup with a little weight to it. Just to try some prone shooting off a bipod. Only have a couple of shots off a bipod and haven't been impressed.