• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako A7 vs weatherby mark 5 accurately

Ystanley

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
So I have done some research on both. I really like the sako for extractor, 3 lug bolt, adjustable trigger and belle &carlson Monte Carlo stock. The weatherby has a Monte Carlo stock, adjustable trigger, 3 lug bolt with a 54% bolt throw. Sako is 1/11 twist and weatherby is 1/10 twist. Both these rifles are aluminum bedded stocks that are free flayed barrels as well. My question is what one will be more accurate with hand loads and factory both? This is going to be a hunting rifle with some matches intended as well. Both are going to be a 300 win mag.

Weatherby has range certified versions of thier mark v that are guaranteed to shoot sub moa. I really like the mark v action. No experience with Sakos other than a few rounds through a TRG-22. Very accurate, but not as robust imo as the mark v.

You fired a TRG-22 and say it is not as robust as a Weatherby? It's a military grade sniper rifle used througout the world and right up there with Accuaracy International.

Sako wont give you a 1 moa guarantee because they would be to ashamed to mention that. Every Sako will easily beat that. I would take a Sako over a Weatherby everyday of the week and twice on monday

You fired a TRG-22 and say it is not as robust as a Weatherby? It's a military grade sniper rifle used througout the world and right up there with Accuaracy International.

Sako wont give you a 1 moa guarantee because they would be to ashamed to mention that. Every Sako will easily beat that. I would take a Sako over a Weatherby everyday of the week and twice on monday

+1. I am with this guy :)

For 1 I would not be able to talk a lot about the Sako A7 as I have never seen 1 but from what I have seen on the website you are not even comparing apples to apples as the Mark V Weatherby has a 9 lug bolt and the bolt has a 54 degree throw and the Sako has a 70 degree throw and a basic Weatherby 300 Win Mag runs around 1600.00 and has a 26 in barrel Sako A7's are probably nice rifles but to compare it to a Weatherby Mark V is apple to oranges! A7 no where near the quality of a Mark V Accumark ! And no I,have not shot a TRG but I would love to :)

I decided to go with the Sako. Couple things I liked about it. It was a pound lighter it has a triple split lug bolt the sako extractor. Sako also is known for great accuracy more so in their Trg-22/42 models. I am excited to get some dies and start doing some loading on some of my empty brass. The rate of twist is 1/11 what would you guys recommend for bullets and load?

With a little more info as in what ya shooting at and weight of bullets ya plan on using plus the manufacturer of the bullets ya plan to shoot I am sure you will get great info and Congrats on the new rifle !! You have a sweet rifle paper puncher ? hunter ? Both ?
What optic ya running on it ? 300 Win does well with 180-220 weight bullets but depends on your plans! It is,one of the most common calibers to load for so good luck with it ! I am picking 1 up Tuesday it is an Accumark and they are a tad heavy, as my tracking data said 12 lbs I guess I am glad I am a big boy :) good luck with components !!

Thanks man. You will have to let me know how your accumark shoots. Like your mine is a little heave too. 12# with optics and bipod. I went with a night force atacr 5-25x56 moar recticle. I am planning on hunting slash long range target. I need to get the barrel broke in and get some dies as funds and wife allow. Expecting our second kiddo in June. Plus trying to get the 308 dialed in.

Buddy this caliber has all kinda loads and I would start here on this forum looking for a few and as soon as my health improves I will be out be out breaking mine in as it arrived the same day I had a heart attack which was Wednesday of this past week! So I am taking it easy but that optic will let ya stretch out the heavier BC loads for sure! A lotta folk me shooting this rifle is stupid but I bought it to shoot and think CPO Kyle would agree!

I will be happy to show some targets once I get this one broke in :)

Last edited: