• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako build

newby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Rep of Ireland
anyone here ever build off a sako action, specifically sako 75? if you did specs and pics much appreciated

Re: Sako build

Several, I'll try and post a few pics, haven't posted pic's here yet. I really love the 75 for a hunting action. I have several that are in McMillans, several in custom stocks, and several custom calibers. One thing to be aware of, you have to go to the V action for mag calibers, the '06 lenght action bolt head doesn't have enough room for the smiths I've used to be comfortable opening it up for like the Dakota series of cartridges as an example. I'll take a few better pics as soon as I find my camera, may have to wait til HBIC gets home.....

first try is a custom 75 in 270 WSM, 24" Krieger, Serengeti Custom stock, black cerakote all metal.I'll try and get a better full rifle pic

PamsShotsoftheSerengeti002.jpg

PamsShotsoftheSerengeti001.jpg

Second pic is a bevy of 85's, two are cusom 6.5x284's, two customized 270's, and a one is just a stock piece that was pillar bedded and 'tuned'.

I like the rifles a lot--customer service or support from the factory--horrible!!

Bevyof85s002.jpg

First let me say that I do not build rifles and I do not know much about bolt actions. However I met a gunsmith east of Pittsburgh PA that builds very nice custom bolt action Sako rifles. He is a very nice guy. He designed a reverse tapered barrel that Lothar Walther is producing for him. He builds these rifles in a bunch of different calibers. These rifles are very light weight and are tack drivers.

I was in his shop last week and he was telling me about a guy that shot a 6.5" group at a thousand yards with one of his rifles using a shepards scope and won the match. I don't remember what caliber that particular rifle was in. Afterwards many of the guys with heavy sniper rifles came up and asked about the rifle.

If I had not just had an HK MSG90 clone built I would be having him build me a gun right now. He also sells Sako actions and barrels you might want to check him out.

http://www.accuflite.com/

His name is JB, and he has built several of my Sako customs for me--over 10. He is a damn knowledgeable rifleman, and he has several folks that do work for him to his specifications, and he knows as much or more about Sako's than anyone I know. If you like Sako rifles, he is definitely worth placing a call to, he can certainly build you a fine rig and give you some great direction.

I am a huge fan of JB's, he did all but 2 of the rifles in my pics above!

unfortunately im based in the rep of ireland, and given your new export laws and taxes on firearms i cant afford to have a stick built in the US and shipped to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Several, I'll try and post a few pics, haven't posted pic's here yet. I really love the 75 for a hunting action. I have several that are in McMillans, several in custom stocks, and several custom calibers. One thing to be aware of, you have to go to the V action for mag calibers, the '06 lenght action bolt head doesn't have enough room for the smiths I've used to be comfortable opening it up for like the Dakota series of cartridges as an example. I'll take a few better pics as soon as I find my camera, may have to wait til HBIC gets home.....

first try is a custom 75 in 270 WSM, 24" Krieger, Serengeti Custom stock, black cerakote all metal.I'll try and get a better full rifle pic

PamsShotsoftheSerengeti002.jpg

PamsShotsoftheSerengeti001.jpg

Second pic is a bevy of 85's, two are cusom 6.5x284's, two customized 270's, and a one is just a stock piece that was pillar bedded and 'tuned'.

I like the rifles a lot--customer service or support from the factory--horrible!!

Bevyof85s002.jpg
</div></div>
My goodness that's a nice rifle. I too love the Sako action. Excluding the Swaro, what would a similar build typically cost?

Armourer, in that case, I would just ask you what type of rig you are looking to end up with. Just as an FYI, aftermarket stocks for the 75's are pretty tricky. I actually don't know of but one type and that is McMillan--and they only will inlet a very limited number of stocks for that action, specifically the ones in the SAKO series on their website, and only 1 of their tactical stocks, I'm pretty sure that is the A-5, and it only with the saddle cheekpiece, no integral adjustable available.

All that aside, the McMillan standard stocks in the Sako 75 geometry are incredible, and they really do provide a true drop in fit that is slick as a button. Rebarreling is a pretty straightforward operation on the 75's, and the triggers are damn good as they come, and easily adjustable with an allen wrench through the magazine well.

good luck finding the info you are after!

I have a factory sako 75.....the I action as it is a 223.

Ordered the mcmillan sako varminter stock---it is by far my favorite hunting/dual purpose stock. It is just that comfortable and balanced. And, as fish mentioned, no need for new triggers as they are easily adjustable and super crisp---it is on par with my smith tuned remingtons and I only slightly bested by my jewel.

In the mcmillan stock it is a joy to carry and shoot and is a solid .5MOA rifle with the factory barrel and using factory match ammo.

Now optics mounting.....that is a bit of a different story. I have some picitany bases that I bought from USO but haven't ever figured out how to install them really. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck with going with rings that mount directly to the reciever.....I run the talley's

Matt, that particular rifle is in a Serengeti, now Kilimanjaro verically laminated custom stock--pretty pricey to be honest. The cerakoting was probably around $175 when I did it, so you could dump that, the stock was a stick of Bastogne that I hand picked, and then Serengeti performed their laminating process on the blank, then carved it to my specs. It was probably pushing 2800 all up, so around 2500 on that particular custom stock, stock only--action pillar bedded and glassed into stock.

Having said that, I had a custom stock done by Richards Microfit, and despite hearing various things about quality (from horrible to excellent) I got a 'pre-finished' blank from them, and all I had to do was put the oil on it, glass bedded it and it turned out awesome, a XXX blank with a decelerator on it, and I had about $650 bucks in it--4 or 5 years back....I let a friend 'steal' it, he just loved the way it turned out--it was a 270 WIN., shot very well.

I have several in the McMillans, and just love them, that is a lot more reasonable, but not cheap, option, and they are very simple to drop in, torque down and rock and roll--you choose your color!

Sakostalker, both of those Grey Wolfs are in fact Pillar Bedded and Glassed. A fellow named JB @ Accuflite did them for me, he is a SAKO guru. He has a few smiths he outsources some work to, but his stuff is always first class. I don't worry to hard about price on rifle projects, but I pay attention--JB is never the cheapest out there, but I trust him totally, and I have ALWAYS gotten good stuff from him, and I have bought a bunch from him.

They Grey Wolf on top is an 85 in 6.5x284 on the IV action so I can seat bullets long if I want, and it feeds like butter, and shoots fantastic. (the one above it is a twin in walnut)

The bottom Grey Wolf is a 270 WSM, and it flat brings it. I simply had JB pillar and glass bed it, and I did the rest, which consisted of trying about 4 loads, and bingo, load 4 did the trick, 140 gr Accubonds flat shoot out of that one.

I think the Sako 75 and 85 series are about as good as it gets as a production hunting rig, and when you tweak em with a custom stock or whatnot, they are really hard to beat for me!