• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sako M591 any opinions?

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
I'm considering buying a Sako M591. I search the Internet and didn't find much except that they were in production in the mid-1990s, but are no longer produced.

Anyone have personal experience with this model. How's the quality? What is the action based on? I presume it can tolerate the higher pressure of modern cartridges. Thanks for your help.

Re: Sako M591 any opinions?

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Looks like a medium action.

Anyone actually own one, and have more insight?

I owned one a few years ago - had it barrled in 25-284 for the first few years I had it, burned out the barrel, re-barreled to 300 WSM. I sold the rifle to a friend that could not live without it, I regret that decision. My opinion is that the M591 is one of the finest actions ever produced.

Glad to hear that you think the M591 is a great action.

I ended up buying the Sako M591. Kind of interesting, it was rebarreled by GA Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor, pillar bedded, and the bolt was lapped and trued. It has their stamp on the side, so I hope it will live up to their usual accuracy.

I already have a GAP, and also have a 6.5 Creedmoor heavy comp rifle. So I just could not pass up getting a lighter one that is easier to pack and shot off-hand for hunting.