• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako M995

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
Is the sako M995 the same reciever as the trg? Besides the safety is the trigger the same?

Re: Sako M995

Yes and no. Both share the same footprint but TRG-S (M995) is an open bridge receiver with a Sako wedge type dovetail, while TRG has the straight 17mm "Tikka dovetail" and as I'm sure you know it's the closed brige design. The biggest problem with M995 is a combination of several things; Being a large action for 338LM sized cartridges, the front and rear bridges are far apart. The top having a large cutout combined with the fact that the scope base is the Sako's proprietary wedge design means you need Sako-specific, extended rings. I would definitely recommend installing a one-piece picatinny base.

Triggers and stocks are interchangeable within certain constraints. For example, the original trigger with the top safety will not fit the TRG chassis without modifications but as far as the receivers go, the triggers swap out just fine. Likewise with magazines, they have an identical interface to the receiver, but one will not work in the other's stock/chassis.

I've had this M995/TRG hybrid for a couple of years now and it's my go-to gun. Started life as a 30-06 but is now sporting a 6.5 swede barrel. Chassis is TRG-41/42, trigger and magazine are TRG-42, and the stock is TRG-41. Just goes to show you can mix and match if you know what you're doing...

TRGS_StoneyPoint.jpg

(14lbs)

Sako_M995_TRGS_originalMagazine_TRG42_magazine_front.jpg

Looking at magazines from the front. M995 original on the left, TRG on the right. The release notch is on opposite sides in the original M995 stock vs the TRG chassis (well, the trigger group, actually).

Sako_M995_TRGS_triggerGroup_TRG42_triggerGroup.jpg

Underneath the pretty clothing of the TRG trigger group, the triggers are essentially identical.

JRu, thanks & great 3rd post. How does the M995 trigger feel compaired to the TRG. Is it adjustable?

I have 2 M995s being put into McM A3s now. The stock triggers are pretty damn good. I've done just a little investigating and there are other trigger options out there but again the M995 trigger is a pretty decent trigger to begin with. It is adjustable from 2-4lbs.

Since the TRG42 doesn't have the cutout for the thumb safety design you are limited on triggers there unless you cut the safety lever off. The M995 does have that cutout thus increasing your options for triggers including the TRG42 trigger. Most late model Sako triggers will work with the M995.

And for the price you can pick them up for they make pretty decent donor rifles.

Edt: As for bases, both Murphy and NEAR have bases for the M995s. USO possibly if they ever start making bases again.

GB213, thanks. Signed up to SH in 2006 so I've been doing a LOT more reading than posting.

I've still got the original 30-06 barrel
smile.gif
Just haven't bothered to swap barrels, since the 6.5 is my favourite at the moment.

The original trigger is fine, I just never learned how light it can go before I went with the TRG stock and trigger group. I can't remember it having adjustable sear engagement, but weight is definitely adjustable.

Rodale also makes a good base for these rifles also. I had Opti-locks for a while and ditched them for a Rodale base and heavy 30mm rings. Mine is in a McMillan A-5 now, but I am having a accuracy problem with my PacNor tube. Not sure what the problem is but I believe it is going to a smith after christmas.

Thanks,

GB213: The M995 trigger is single stage.

Go to www.sako.fi , on the front page there's a link to "Old Models" (on the "Products:" line). Behind that link there's a page containing the owner's manuals for the old Sako models, including the M995 TRG-S.