• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Quad 10 Round Mag issues

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    I have five of the 10 round Quad mags for 22LR and none will function properly if loaded to 10 rounds. All work great if only stoked to five rounds.
    Anyone else have this issue?
    Anyone know how to resolve it?
    Love the rifle but you'd think a $50+ magazine should run better than this.

Re: Sako Quad 10 Round Mag issues

I have the exact same issues, I can usually get 7 to run but no more. I think if they had some type of feed ramp in the gun it would aid in feeding but that isnt an option.

Yea, it seems that the more the spring compresses the flatter the rounds lie in the mag. When you try to send one home the bullet tip jams into the barrel breech just below the chamber.

Finns had the same problem,
    Some ramped their barrels and some shimmed the back of the mag.
    Set them up for 17M2 and they run flawless - I mean perfect and as fast
    as you want.
    Thats one of the reasons I sold my finns - not the main reason but it
    still factored in.
    I had like 10 10rd mags and 3 finns - all combos did it.

Not encouraging news here.
    Looks like I have some expensive "five round extended" mags.
    The cheap plastic 10 round mags on my 541 T have always fed flawlessly.
    You'd think those Europeans could get it right since they charge five times as much for the mags.

I had a link to buy Quad mags before my puter crashed. I tried Brownells and never got them. What was the other mag place that had them??

I guess I should consider myself lucky, all my 10rd Quad mags run great, loaded with 10 rounds.

My 10rounder doesn't feed loaded out either. Never had a problem w 5 rounders.

I cut the spring a bit. Feeds fine with 10 rds loaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut the spring a bit. Feeds fine with 10 rds loaded. </div></div>

How many coils?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut the spring a bit. Feeds fine with 10 rds loaded. </div></div>

More details please

One of my 10 rounders will run 8 rounds with out problems. The other one will only run 6. I figure after running them a little longer, they'll get better, or at least I hope they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut the spring a bit. Feeds fine with 10 rds loaded. </div></div>

How many coils? </div></div>

2 or 3...then I left it loaded for a couple of days. Seemed to do the trick.

750k2 touched on something. I don't run this set up but if the rounds do lie flatter as the spring compresses; seems a fairly easy task to test it and throw a shim in under the front part of the spring. I'd try that before cutting anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut the spring a bit. Feeds fine with 10 rds loaded. </div></div>

How many coils? </div></div>

2 or 3...then I left it loaded for a couple of days. Seemed to do the trick. </div></div>

I'll try one. I have five and even if it doesn't get me to ten rounds it should still work with five.
    Thanks!

Yes, and if you do mess it up,
    wink.gif
    it's an ordinary spring you should be able to pick up in any hardware-store. =)

I've owned 7 Sako Quads and I have several 10 round mags and all of them feed flawlessly when filled to capacity. Interestingly enough, the only issues that I have ever had came from 5 rounders.

All of my 10 round magazines, save three (which I bought from Impact guns online store a few years back), were purchased from Brownells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned 7 Sako Quads and I have several 10 round mags and all of them feed flawlessly when filled to capacity. Interestingly enough, the only issues that I have ever had came from 5 rounders.

All of my 10 round magazines, save three (which I bought from Impact guns online store a few years back), were purchased from Brownells. </div></div>

I think it matters not where they were purchased, as the only ones out there are OE from Sako.
    I'm curious about your comments. It seems most all with any experience have had failure so you must be doing something different. Is there a certain secret to loading the rounds in the mags? Seriously, I've seen it before, so if you have it figured out please pass it on.

I don't know that I do anything differently than anyone else. Me and both my uncles bought Quads back when they first came out and I had feeding issues with the .22lr/.17HM2 5 rounder that came with mine new. I ordered a few more mags, at that time only 5 rounders were available as far as I knew and they were on backorder for seems like a year from Impact Guns. In the meantime, I shot the .17HMR/.22Mag combination - which I have never had a problem with mags or ammo.

I mean, we had forgotten about ordering the mags when I finally got an email saying that 3 of the 10 we ordered were shipping - that is how long it took and we only ever did get 5 out of the 10 we originally ordered.

I ordered some more from Brownells, 10's and 5's, and when I got those and we divi'd them up, I ended up with another 5 rounder that had issues. No issues reported on any of the other magazines regardless of loaded capacity.

We shoot these guns a lot and I don't know that I do anything other than load the mag, whack it into the palm of my other hand to seat the rounds back into the mag once it is loaded (a habit I do with all of my mags regardless of caliber or make) and start shooting.

I have Eley .17HM2 ammo that will fail to extract from time to time, but no feeding issues from the mags....I don't know why mine work, but I'm happy that they do.