• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Quad upgrade from 1517 MPR?

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
Just like the thread name says, is moving from an Annie 1517MPR to a Quad and upgrade or downgrade? Like the though of having 4 barrels on a nice stock and scope.

How are the triggers? Accuracy of factory barrels?

Quads are nice but they are not an Anschutz. The trigger needs allot of help to be anything like an Anschutz. That said I own two Quads and if the price was like they were a few years ago I'd own more. I made one into a switch barrel gun and put it in a Bench Rest stock. The thought was I could swap barrels if the environments and ammo were not shooting well and go to a different barrel when shooting at the local rim fire matches. The problem is the scope prevents the removal of the barrel if it is mounted low to the gun. To remove the barrel it has to be tipped up and then pulled out of the receiver. A low mounted scope will not allow you to tip up the barrel. I mounted a scope high, shot the rifle for one season and it's been in the safe the last two years. I'm back to shooting a surplus CMP 40X, same gun that's been winning for me for 15 years. Can't beat good old engineering sometimes. My other Quad gets allot of work. Bought a Lothar stainless barrel, Had AO bob and thread the puppy, kept the factory black stock and it's a quite Crow and Squirrel killing machine. You'll want to have someone experienced with the triggers work it over for you. There's a guy on Rimfirecentral that advertises for 85 bucks that has a great rep. I did my own and if you have a fundamental understanding of how it works you can do it. You will need some spring stock from Midway and diamond stones to polish the contact points and you can get the trigger to 1.5 pound and it be safe. Rim Fire Technologies makes a low profile adaptor for using Weaver/STANAG scope rings. A must I think if you are going to mount a heavy 30mm scope. You can't really glass bed to the factory stock as it's Nylon or some other material like that and glass will not hold. The stock is not a composit like we are use too, more like the cheap Model 7 and 700 stocks Remington uses on the bottom line hunting rifles. The five round magazines work very well but I've had issues with the10 round mags and I've heard others say the same. I can load 7 and it works fine more and the mag just does not feed well for the first three. The rifle is well made so I don't think there is a reason not to buy one as long as you understand it's a sportier at heart and not made to be a match gun.

I just bought a quad yesterday waiting for my dip metal. Can't say as a down grade from an Annie as the only thing I've ever shot are savages but it sure is a step up for me