• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sako quad vs remington 540x ?

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
yes i have searched here re the quad. i am looking at a quad or a 540x. the price diff is huge and the 540s are obviously much older. i'm just looking for comments or experience with either. esp cost/benefit on a quad. the barrel change options of the quad are of no interest and that affects the factory pricing. reading that the 540x is same deal as 788-an equal or superior vs 40x or 700 @ price point and rem dropped the cheaper models due to those quality/price issues. true or maybe? i know used 788s are very pricey. just like some general comments and ideas based on experience. mostly personal enjoyment of small group shooting is my deal. matches? maybe at some point? can't seem to find a new price on quad range to help the decision process. seen some 540x @ $500-800.

Reactions: d2wing
The 540X was my first rifle. It is very competitive, and a decent precision shooter -- but single-shot.

I've passed it to my son who uses it at 100 yards to practice his 600-yard highpower rifle wind reading skills.

I have no experience with the Sako Quad Range or Varmint, but I think they're both functional and gorgeous.

Last edited:
Reactions: d2wing
Actually the Quad and Rem.540 series suffer a similar issue (fortunately correctable), first shot fliers. Having a slip fit barrel with relatively loose tolerances makes for a bad marriage of barrel to receiver. Tightening that union by either machining, or quality bedding can give satisfactory results.
While the 540-580 series is an excellent design with a high ratio of better than average barrels, they are no comparison to the 40X series. As for the Sako, far better trigger, aftermarket support, and nice stock designs.
If you have access to a machine shop either one can be dramatically improved, it just comes down to your needs and budget.

My quad is a hammer with the factory barrel. Never any issues with first round flyers and it shoots great so far with any ammunition shot through it. I purchased a Timney 2 stage for it. But it’s because I like 2 stage triggers. I have a McMillan A5 on order and will hopefully get it soon.

Sorry I have never handled the Remington 540x so I can not compare the two.

Reactions: obx22
Ya I call bullshit on the first round flyers with the quad I have owned a few and still shoot one regularly without any flyers in fact it’s super accurate with multiple types of ammo and not super picky. I vote get a quad the nostalgia of the 540 is cool but I don’t see it as a go to favorite

Reactions: d2wing and obx22
In defense of my statement, the Quad (P08?)has come up on several BB as being less accurate (to put it gently) than it’s predecessor the P94S. It has been attributed to the (apparently just a few) undersized barrel tennon. As I trusted the posters and they backed the claims with pics I felt this a valid bit of info. The 540/580 statement came from personal experience with several examples. Receivers which use wedges or pins (or both) to secure a loose barrel seem to have a higher chance of fliers than either interference fit/threaded/or clamped barrels.
The above hasn’t lessened my desire to own a Quad Range, as I would convert it to the P94S clamp method if possible.
Your rifle is accurate and dependable, that’s excellent 👍

540X and 540XR are a different rifle than the 540/580 sport rifles. The 540X and 540 XR are purpose built single shot target rifles. They have adjustable triggers and heavy barrels. They are said to have a very fast ignition which is similar to a 788 trigger which is not adjustable. I do agree that bedding may help. Some say not. In any case, mine is very accurate and comparable to other similar Target rifles. Typically, a ragged hole at 50 yards with match ammo. However, I have been soundly out shot by a well-tuned 40X. The 540 XR will outshoot a sporter rifle in my experience. I do not have any problems like first round flyers. That is usually caused by a carbon ring or improper cleaning and seasoning. I do not know how it would compare to a Sako. I have never shot one or shot against one. The top .22 LR bench rifles are either 40X or a custom clone of a 40X like a Vudoo etc.

Attachments

• 540XR at Range.jpg
    540XR at Range.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: sinister
I have owned a 580, 581, and 540XR, tested a 541A (bolt handle came off-weak braze) And cleaned up/tested 5 Club purchased CMP 540X rifles (NIB- incredible deal). There are fewer differences than you might think. All slightly engraved the chambered slug, all shot quite well, with the king in accuracy being the cheap 580 (which had been in a fire no less)! Disappointing that the 6 bolt lugs, while looking like a bank vault, did not engage equally in any of the above actions (most only had solid contact on two lugs). I was told by Kurt Westfall that lapping the lugs would accomplish little so I skipped it on my guns. All of the triggers can be tuned by adding sear engagement and overtravel adjustment screws. There were rumors of aftermarket drop in triggers being developed during the benchrest craze when these guns were considered “sleepers”, but I’m unaware of this happened. The lock time is reported to be very fast (faster than the 40XB), and I read somewhere that the design of the striker release caused less bolt tilt at the moment of firing than the 40X series.

Reactions: sinister
Have owned both a Quad and still have a X and XR. The quad got sold years ago to pay medical bills.

Its an apples to oranges comparison really. Unless you have hands on experience with them you aren't gonna get a much of idea whether one is better than the other for you and your needs.

I just swapped optics onto the X and shot it for the first time with glass today. Reverted the XR back to its apertures.

The X did well at 50yds. Trigger needs work for sure.

Have owned these for about 7yrs and this is maybe the 5th time they've been out. I have too many other things that eat up time.

Do plan to actually get these running this summer and actually get a true feel for them. Being a single shot really hampers the fun for me personally.
FB_IMG_1628727247527.jpg

My 513T and 52B got some trigger time last year and the year before. Ammo prices have really put a downer on getting out to the range anymore.
FB_IMG_1573581468158.jpg

Reactions: sinister and obx22
I have a Sako Quad with a Lilja bbl and two Rem 540XR's. The Remingtons shoot well, damn well and I used one to win a national BR match a couple years ago. The trigger is adjustable down to about 1.5 lbs but it is a single shot and the stock is ugly. The bbl is long and it has the nasty habit of being cold blooded. Takes 10 or more shots before it will settle down and shoot well. I waste a lot of ammo warming it up.

The quad shoots as good and sometimes better but they are about the same overall in accuracy. The trigger on the quad is better an it makes a much better practical rifle trainer or PRS match rifle. Groups from both can be found in past 6x5 challenge tables. The 540x has a better stock IMO. For the money the Remington is the better bargain. I like them both but for different purposes.

• Love
Reactions: sinister and obx22