• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20 in 6mm 08

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
Sako S20 in 6mm 08? WTF? you might be saying. Actually it is the tried and true 243, which is just a 308 necked down to 6mm, hence the 6mm/08. Why this caliber? Well, it is one of the most popular US hunting cartridges so ammo is available at about any hardware store or pawn shop in America. Reloading components are also widely available and proven load data easy to find. It is not a barrel burner when compared to many others. It can load little light 58g varmint pills or heavy ELD bullets up to about 105g.

Range report: My Sako is in the precision stock and is topped with a 4-16x FFP MIL optic. At 10:1 twist it will shoot the 100g bullets well but seems to really shine with the 75-90g options. Most of these would group under 1" at 100y but so far mine has really liked the 75g ammo using the Hornady V-Max bullets. These are running about 3580 fps at the muzzle. Did I say it was fast? My usual long range practice range is limited to 400y max. I have steel plates at 200, 300 and 400y to play with. With the 75g ammo, it can clean the KYL rack at 400 yards without a miss. The largest plate is 2MOA (8"), they run from there to 1.5moa (6"), 1.0moa (4") and 1/2moa (2"). I am pretty happy with that. The hammer forged bbl is very smooth and cleans easier than most. We have access to another range that runs from 100y out to 700y and 980Y but I have not had time to go play on it with the S20. My little 223 starts to get pushed around by the wind there out past about 550y and the 243 might as well but to a lesser degree. I am gearing up to do some custom loads for it using some 90g ELD-x bullets which I hope will be just the right blend of speed, accuracy and long range stability. It is not a 1mi rifle but I hope to find it accurate out to about 1000y within reason. For an off the rack choice, I am pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_E0831.JPG
    IMG_E0831.JPG
    756.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    949.8 KB · Views: 93
If only they would have put a 1:8 barrel on it like they’re starting to do with Tikkas.

LOL. Evidence?

Well it is all relative. All in all the 243 is not known to be extremely hard on barrels compared to some of the hotter rounds, but it will not last forever either. I agree that it would have been more relevant as a tgt rifle had Sako seen fit to make the 243 bbl a 1:8 twist instead of 10:1. That would have opened the door to the heavy ELD ammo. Essentially making it possible to mimick the 6CM performance more closely. The extra long mag enables longer than std OAL reloads where desired. They do offer it in the 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, 308, 270, up to the 300WM, if you want a heavier hitter. To be honest, I like this on enough that I might look to get a second one in a larger caliber.

I have not experienced any feeding issues but noticed that I have to be more careful when loading the mags than say with an FAL or AR15. The go in one at a time from front to rear. Since I added the muzzle brake the recoil is light enough to allow me to spot and call my own shots in most conditions. That by itself is a plus when practicing alone/testing ammo.

When I found this rifle last winter, I had not even heard of the S20 and was intrigued by it. My #1 22lr trainer was already a Sako and this made for a useful working pair. Both have the same optic and general feel.

While maybe not perfect, I have been please so far. I noticed that Remington has went to a longer than typical mag for its new enhanced model 700 and added a side bolt release. Both features that Sako already has. The 60deg bolt throw is nice also for use with the modern 34mm optics. The skeleton chassis is slick and the hybrid design makes it into 2 or 3 rifles in one, not that I plan to use it that way. I might hunt with it some for coyotes just for fun. Mostly will be used as a steel plate toy.

???
Well it is all relative. All in all the 243 is not known to be extremely hard on barrels compared to some of the hotter rounds, but it will not last forever either.
AFAIK the .243 winchester is a notorious barrel burner due to the large 308 Win powder capacity in front of a massively reduced bore size.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
When you spend thousands on a rig to shoot the smallest groups you can, the barrels just come with the scenery.

The 243 is known to be a barrel burner if used for target shooting. The average hunter will never burn out a barrel though on even a barrel burner if used just for non-varmint hunting. In fact that is why the 6BR is so popular it burns less powder than the 243Win and faster 6mm so the barrel life is longer than 243Win and it is insanely easy to tune loads.

Until you get into windy conditions cartridges like the 243Win and 25-06Rem are fantastic 1000 yard cartridges....

FClass,

Thank you for the comments and insights. Much appreciated. This is my first 243. Most of my CF rifles are of mil calibers like 308, 30-06, 223, etc. Most of my hunting rifles can go for decades using the same box of ammo. I have a custom Mauser in 270 that has taken more than a dozen deer or a long period. I finally broke down and bought some more ammo for it. Usually shoot three to check zero more as a ritual than because I think the zero may be off, and then hit the woods to hunt bambi. It has only required two shots on one occasion and even then it was an anchor shot to keep the deer from going down a steep mountain. With proper care it will last a few lifetimes.

I am not planning to use the Sako for high volume competition or varmints like PD's for the very reasons you cited. Agree 100% that getting a bbl very hot is a short cut to needing a new bbl. I have had the Sako to the range four times and have logged 3 shots (initial zero), 5 shots in the 2nd outing to stretch it out to 400y. 6rds at 100y again to try some new bullet weights, then moved to the 400y range to try one of them, (the one that shot best). Shot 2 shots at 200y, and 3 more at 400. That last outing was at 400y only and I shot 1 shot at a full sized IPSC plate, and 4 shots at the KYL rack. All were impacts so I stopped. By my count, that is 25rds total thru the bbl burner over a 3-4 month span. At that rate, it will likely last me a long time.

When I coyote hunt, I count myself lucky if I get to shoot twice in one outing. Our terrain here does not offer 500y shots on game much. We rarely get an opportunity to pop a yote out past 300y and that is really not a tough shot for any modestly accurate rifle even in field conditions. Basically, if we can see em they are toast. To be honest, I usually take a 17cal for yotes, just for fun. The 223 was too easy and the 243 is overkill. I will take it some though just because. For yotes in my area, it is very hard to get a shot but not too hard to make the shot, if that makes sense.

We will not be seeing this rifle at the range burning thru 200 rds in a session. Maybe 20-30 off an on at our very long range if/when I get to go there, but only once or twice. There are about 6 plates out past 400y. Until, I get to try, I really cannot know what it is capable of. I do know I would like to have a 2nd version of this rifle in 308. My idea of bbl burners are the 7mm Mag and 300WM. Also, 220 swift and 25/06 come to mind. It is all relative. I would expect 6CM to be very similar to 243 in bbl life.