• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20 Optics & Mount Setup

syzygetic

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2022
Washington DC
I am the proud new owner of a Sako S20 in 308, and now I need a scope. Use will be mostly target shooting (inside 800m) and light hunting (about 100m).

I read the post on here regarding the 20MOA Optilock, and it’s informative, but I’d love to know what else is in use out there, since compatibility isn’t great.

What mount, rings, and scope are you running on your Sako S20?

I am the proud new owner of a Sako S20 in 308, and now I need a scope. Use will be mostly target shooting (inside 800m) and light hunting (about 100m).

I read the post on here regarding the 20MOA Optilock, and it’s informative, but I’d love to know what else is in use out there, since compatibility isn’t great.

What mount, rings, and scope are you running on your Sako S20?
I am very interested in this as well. I hope to see others respond, so I'll start...

I bought a Sako S20 in 300 Win Mag and a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 ZMOAi-T20 scope in early 2022 at Sportsman's Warehouse and had them install it with Warne Maxima 30mm med rings. I bought this rifle primarily for elk hunting, so I got the hunter stock. I belong to a club that has LR shooting, so I was interested in doing some of that as well. I might pick up the S20 Precision stock at some point, but so far I'm happy with what I have.

I didn't know about the Optilock rail and rings option until recently. I've been thinking about upgrading to the ZEISS Precision Rings, but concerned about the very limited rail on the S20. In researching that, I found out about the Optilock.

No elk this year, but I did take a nice Mule Deer buck with this set up about a week ago (nothing fancy -- 140 yards slow walk broadside) w/ Nosler Trophy Grade 190gr ABLR. One shot, exactly where I was aiming (double lung).

I shoot the S20 regularly at 300 and 400 yards at the range with predictable sub-moa groups, so I don't really *need* to change anything... but I sort of want to. Guess I'm thinking if I do more LR shooting (~1000 yards), I might want the 20MOA Optilock.

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Oh wow! I figured there was just no traction on the S20 so I went ahead and got something. I guess I should indeed have contributed to my own thread after the fact, but thanks harris2270 for thoroughly beating me to it!

I ended up getting a pair of 1” 30mm Burris XTR rings. I installed the 0 MOA sleeves in the rear ring, and the -10 MOA sleeves in the front ring. Torqued to spec directly onto the piccatinny bits fore and aft of the ejector. Great rings!

Scope wise, I mounted an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50mm. Eye relief is great with the Burris rings as far apart as they can go, which was my primary concern (flexibility of mounting distance) with not having the much more adjustable optilock system. With this scope, the ring distance works great.

There’s enough clearance for the bell of the scope, but barely, and not enough clearance to slip a flip cap on the bell too, so I bought the screw in sunshade, which extends the end of the scope to a thinner part of the barrel, where clearance is ample. Flip caps (Vortex rubber kind) work great now.

If you wanted to run flip caps without the sunshade, you probably need the 1.25” tall Burris XTR rings instead of the 1” rings I purchased. I don’t mind the extra length of the sunshade however, since the rifle profile means it won’t fit in a normal rifle bag anyway, sunshade or not.

Speaking of bags, I got two: a Pelican 1750 for air travel, and a Boyt Varmint Bag for light duty to the range, etc. The Boyt Varmint Bag is the only one I could find which fits the Sako S20 precision stock and a bipod and a scope, sunshade or not. It’s a 48” bag, so it’s actually a perfect fit too (overall length is 46.5” with a 24” barrel and the precision stock).