• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Trg 2013 upgrades

Cool.

The plastic trigger gaurd and plastic push-pin attachment of the bolt knob have been my key complaints of the platform.

Mine is a '42 and I'm not sure I understand the need for double ejectors. The ejection of mine isn't akin to a CRF Win70 when you really yank on the bolt, but it does just fine.

Difficult to imagine a new TRG trigger that's an improvement on the existing one....! Seems like it would be a lot easier to take a step backwards, considering the excellence of TRG triggers.

There have been some reliability issues with the TRG triggers. They are also not known for excellent ejecting. The trigger is the same or very similar to the one from the TRG M10 from what I'm told. It looks like they're taking care of the all the minor issues with the TRG's. That's great to see.
Justin

"Compatible," as in we can buy some or all of these for our current 22/42s? Nice....

Glad to see they re-engineered the trigger group. The existing one is nice, but I think has some fragile aspects to it. I am looking forward to seeing what they changed. I like the double ejector idea and a stronger bolt retention lever/bolt handle is also great.

Last edited:
Damn, I just received my 42 yesterday from Eurooptics and it doesn't have these new features.

250gr. Scenars produce .33 min accuracy at intermediate range. I'll take it.

Change is constant, however, if you own a TRG you will never be slighted.

Last edited:
Anyone hear of a corresponding price increase with these upgrades?

I will be real interested in a review of the new trigger once someone gets one. I can't fathom how they could make it any better, perhaps more robust, but I've never had any real issues with mine. And while I love the fact that the trigger guard is now metal, I can't say I've ever heard of one of the plastic ones breaking.

If it ain't broke, Don't Fix It. It's good to know they're improving, but it's great to know these "Upgraded" and Probably Hella Expensive Parts can fit on the older TRGs. I'll be saving up for them until mine breaks. But so far it just keeps on going...and going...and going...yea...

Yep, good to see the forward thinking and tring to improve. But they were pretty damn good to begin with. I just hope they dont F the trigger up, its sooo good! I know there have been issues with the trigger but they all seem to be caused by doing something incorrect.

There have been some reliability issues with the TRG triggers. They are also not known for excellent ejecting. The trigger is the same or very similar to the one from the TRG M10 from what I'm told. It looks like they're taking care of the all the minor issues with the TRG's. That's great to see.
Justin

The only trigger issues I know of with the TRG is that the user is too stupid and does not set the first and second stage correct. Otherwise, I have not heard about any issues.

The only trigger issues I know of with the TRG is that the user is too stupid and does not set the first and second stage correct. Otherwise, I have not heard about any issues.

Well, I am not stupid and I had my trigger set well within range, and I still had issues with it. Inconsistent pull weight and the occasional "lock up."

Turns out it had some grit in it and needed a thorough douching. The trigger it seems is as sensitive to grit as stupidity.

Most lock ups are when the first and second stage are to close to each others, I have seen it a million times here. As for dirt, that's a new one to me, mine goes moose hunting every year for two weeks where it gets real nasty and it's held up like a champ. How do you clean yours out?

Hopefully these are nice, useful, non-detrimental upgrades, however, I was disappointed when I opened this and didn't see the TRG M10 available for civilian sales. Not that I actually could afford one.

Maybe one day.

Most lock ups are when the first and second stage are to close to each others, I have seen it a million times here. As for dirt, that's a new one to me, mine goes moose hunting every year for two weeks where it gets real nasty and it's held up like a champ. How do you clean yours out?

Heavy douching with lighter fluid. The previous owner had used blue lock tite after adjusting the trigger, when I brought the weight back up after experiencing light trigger issues that you illustrated, some of the locktite came off and got into the trigger mechanism. I did need to squirt a bit of lube in before it started working well again anyhow.

My trigger set screws walked on me twice! Loctite would be a good idea for me, but for the moment I have it set nicely and it is working great so I'm a little nervous about potentialy screwing it up! I have done the lighter fluid cleaning method before with some dry lube. Biggest issue I think I have seen is owners removing and installing the trigger with the bolt still in the rifle. My trigger weight on the TRG is measured at 2 1/2 LB's.

Last edited:
Here are the TRG configs from the Sako 2013 catalog. I'm happy to see that you can get a 22 in tan with a 26" barrel now. It looks like the 260 Rem is new too.

I called Beretta yesterday and was told to expect them in the US around "mid year" but no real estimate on a exact timeline, price or part numbers.

I assume all 2013 models will be the "upgrade" versions? The catalog does not specify and the website lacks detail.

trg22.jpg

trg42.jpg

i see a new 260 in my future. . .damn didn't see that coming.
and did they offer 20'' 42's before?

Here are the TRG configs from the Sako 2013 catalog. I'm happy to see that you can get a 22 in tan with a 26" barrel now. It looks like the 260 Rem is new too.

I called Beretta yesterday and was told to expect them in the US around "mid year" but no real estimate on a exact timeline, price or part numbers.

I assume all 2013 models will be the "upgrade" versions? The catalog does not specify and the website lacks detail.

trg22.jpg

trg42.jpg

Just to clarify, did you ask specifically about a particular caliber ( like 260 Remington?) or did you just ask about the updated 2013 models in general? If they are importing 260's again this changes my gun fund contribution plan.

Justin

I'm debating buying one now vs waiting until fall for the upgrades (and price increase). How significant are the ejection issues? Worth the wait ant cost?

The ejection on the TRG-22 is OK. I've never had an issue with it, but it is not terribly enthusiastic about throwing the brass. It's more polite and makes a nice neat pile next to the weapon.

The trigger I'd be most interested in myself. The current trigger is fine and has never given me an issue, but I do find some things about it delicate when compared to its contemporary the AIAE or AIAW. I'd like to see what they changed.

The TRG was already a great weapon. It looks like they are just improving some things.

Last edited:
We've heard from a customer that says he has one already. I can't say if it's worth the wait or not as I've not handled one. The ejection thing isn't a huge issue, as mentioned by XOR it just doesn't fling them out there very far. If a case fails to eject, you can't get your finger inside the action because of the small port. Good luck and if you get a '13 then post it up here,
Justin

I have a 2013 308 in green with a 26" barrel arriving tomorrow from Eurooptics, they have them! The price was pretty much the same as the other two I bought in the last couple years, and if you check their thread on the Hide, they're getting 25 300wmags in August or September and are taking deposits now to hold. I was actually going to go the 300wmag route until I emailed and Jason said they had the 2013's TRG22's in stock. Great rifles!

Have broke 2 22 triggers, both in matches. Second time Beretta kept it until the guy from across the pond got to it. But they made whole both times!

I have a 2013 308 in green with a 26" barrel arriving tomorrow from Eurooptics, they have them! The price was pretty much the same as the other two I bought in the last couple years, and if you check their thread on the Hide, they're getting 25 300wmags in August or September and are taking deposits now to hold. I was actually going to go the 300wmag route until I emailed and Jason said they had the 2013's TRG22's in stock. Great rifles!

That is good to hear. I am about to buy one (maybe two as I love that folding stock!) and would prefer a 2013.

The price jump is a bit hefty, though... IIRC it's a good $500 jump from the 2012 models to the 2013, and at $3875 for a base model TRG-42 without any upgrades or accessories, it starts to get pretty obscene.

I just picked up a new model TRG 22 today. Upon unboxing, a fellow TRG owning bud and I noticed two differences from our previous generation rifles. The recoil pad is larger and thicker than the previous version. This pad is similar to a thick target shotgun's pad. The other immediately noticeable change is the safety. The safety lever is wider and operates easier than the previous model. Although I feel the new safety lever is superior to the design it replaces, it provides no increase in usefulness for me. So, as far as this new version being an improvement over its predecessor, I see it as more of a push. That said, it is just another GREAT RIFLE!

Preflight do you mind sharing what you picked it up for? Curious as to if the new 22 carries the same price increase of the 42.

My 22 which arrived today cost me the same as the other two I own and bought in the past 2 years so I don't think the 22's went up. The 42's (300wm) did though.

Captramod01, I purchased the rifle from Euro Optic for $ 3050.

After inspecting the rifle more carefully, it is apparent that the trigger group is different than its predacessor. The instructions that came with the new rifle have not been updated and do not reflect the changes that have been made. I contacted Euro Optic with questions regarding the trigger group removal and adjustment. Currently waiting for a response from Beretta technical.
Hopefully, this trigger can be adjusted to the same overall feel as the previous model.

Captramod01, I purchased the rifle from Euro Optic for $ 3050.

After inspecting the rifle more carefully, it is apparent that the trigger group is different than its predacessor. The instructions that came with the new rifle have not been updated and do not reflect the changes that have been made. I contacted Euro Optic with questions regarding the trigger group removal and adjustment. Currently waiting for a response from Beretta technical.
Hopefully, this trigger can be adjusted to the same overall feel as the previous model.

Any chance you can post some up-close photos of the new trigger group?

Preflight, I just picked it up today and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'd just call Jason and if he can't help ask him to put you in touch with their in house smith. I forget his name but he's helped me several times when I had other work or issues. I haven't even looked at the paperwork, just held it when I picked it up at my FFL. I'll check it out hopefully tomorrow and then post. I wouldn't worry about it, from my experience with Sako and Eurooptics, this will be an improvement as they say and they'll help you (or us), get it figured out. I waited for the 2013 model and if it wouldn't have been in stock, would have put money down on a 300 win mag instead. Might still do so anyhow. For what it's worth, I have AI's too.

Arbiter, here is the pic that I sent to Euro Optics this AM

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 75
Have broke 2 22 triggers, both in matches. Second time Beretta kept it until the guy from across the pond got to it. But they made whole both times!

Some questions to expand the knowledge base a bit:

What was the exact nature of the failure?

Was the failure type identical in both triggers?

Was the trigger stock factory adjusted, or was it adjusted by you before failure?

How many rounds were on the rifle before the trigger failed?

Any other input you can give on the failure that might have caused it in your opinion?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The following statement is the information that I received today from Beretta pertaining to the removal of the new TRGs trigger group.

"In follow up to our discussions on the new trigger system.

To remove the group:
Remove magazine.
Remove the bolt assembly check for empty chamber.
Push the safety forward.
Pull the trigger back and hold.
Install the 5 mm Allen wrench in the channel behind the safety to engage the screw and turn counter clockwise.

The point we missed was pulling the trigger to move the metal block away from the bolt head."

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post on the forum.

Since last friday I have a new black TRG 22 and it is a version with the 2013 upgrades.
Because it will take about 2 more months before I have my Schmidt & Bender scope, I can't shoot it until then, but I want to adjust the trigger already so that it feels perfect for me.
Yesterday I wanted to lighten the 2nd stage triggerpul, and to do so I need to turn the right screw on the picture above counterclockwise.
Only problem is the left screw which is on top of the first screw, securing it.
How can you loosen this left screw? There isn't a hole in the triggerguard to loosen it.
This is my first rifle so I'm not really familiar with it and I don't want to break anything.
Thanks for willing to help me!

Hi,
I'm new here also. My TRG 22 is also the 2013 model (re-designed trigger etc.) & I've been trying to adjust the trigger pull from it's factory set (@3lbs). The only information I have is from the UK importer & he believes they are non-adjustable (That came from Sako Finland) due to problems they have had with the previous trigger assembly model being adjusted too light by their owners & damaging the mechanism.
Don't know how true this is but it seems to me to be the case. Even on Sako's website the owners manual/maintenance instructions only show the older trigger model (pre 2013)

Hi guys
This is from Sako Finland Website.
TRIGGER MECHANISM & BOLT HANDLE
New fully adjustable two stage trigger mechanism featuring newly designed and ergonomically positioned and ambidextrous safety lever allowing easier access and use. Trigger guard is now milled from high grade aluminum, providing ruggedness and more positive magazine attachment. Bolt handle and it's attachment to the bolt body has been redesigned to withstand rough handling more than ever before. And as usual, the new trigger mechanism as well as all other 2013 upgrades are compatible with all TRG 21/41 and TRG 22/42 versions.
So, for the ones who shot both the TRG 22/42 "old trigger", as well as the "new trigger", let us know if one is noticeably better than the other.
FYI: Eurooptics has the 2013 TRG 22 but did not receive the 2013 TRG42 yet.
Good rifles no matter what.

I feel you Rodnoneous, I was sick of waiting for the blued offering and went phosphatised.
We do pay a fortune here in Australia! I haven't looked back.

Last edited: