• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22 Muzzle Brake - is it really necessary?

okeefe

Private
Minuteman
I purchased a TRG 22 recently and it came with a Near Brake. With scope and bipod the rifle weighs in at approx 15lbs. Is the brake really doing that much when shooting the 308? Personally I don't like the extra length and noise that a brake produces. Any of you done any experimenting with this setup or similar?

The brake certainly isn't necessary, but I definitely prefer to use it with my TRG. It reduces the recoil to about the same level as an unbraked .223.

The brake is easy to remove. Try shooting a few rounds without it and decide for yourself.

Is it "Needed", No...but does it work? HELL YEA! I love my TRG22 + Near Brake. But I have the 20" Barrel so it doesn't add too much length/weight, and just plain looks Cool (I like it better than the Factory Unit).

You can always try without to see if you like how it shoots better. Then sell it Brake if you don't want it, I'm sure plenty of other TRG22 owners would love to snatch it up from ya.

I had the Sako version. It makes a lot of noise at the shooter position, kicked up dust making follow up shots harder to see, threw the balance of the rifle off when not using the bipod, and made the weapon longer and heavier. I sold mine to a friend that had the TRG-42 338 version where it is necessary to use the brake. The rifle shoots great without the brake. Recoil is not a problem. Try both to see what you prefer.

Last edited:
I had the Sako version. It makes a lot of noise at the shooter position, kicked up dust making follow up shots harder to see, threw the balance of the rifle off when not using the bipod, and made the weapon longer and heavier. I sold mine to a friend that had the TRG-42 338 version where it is necessary to use the brake. The rifle shoots great without the brake. Recoil is not a problem. Try both to see what you prefer.

I believe the "Factory" TRG units did had that issue. I've Heard/Read some of the owners complain about this as well. However the ports on the Factory Brakes are Cut different. The openings are matched on both sides and the Cut is goes all the way down the sides.

However the Near Brake (This is why I Like it better) on my TRG22 is a Different/Better Design. The ports are off set from one another "Staggered", and the Cut is only half way down the side of the Brake, so it does not blow gas at the Ground Level and also have a down force effect on the muzzle. Works great for it's intended purposes!

I shot a few hundred rounds threw my 26" with out a brake and then my Near brake came in (Richard would not sell me one of his "old style" because somewhere along the line Sako changed the thread angle slightly, or something like that, and it was not perfect -Richard is OCD) and I never shot with out it again. Well until my form 4 cleared. But did I need it, as stated before hell no! But did it make follow up shots much faster and enable me to spot my own hits even at short range, hell yes!

I went ahead and installed the brake. I will give it a try with and without. Can anybody tell me what the screw in the top of the brake does? Clearly it has some purpose, but I can't figure it out.

Mirage band attachment point if I recall.

Not necessary on a 22, a lotta guys actually prefer to run their 308s without a brake for some of the reasons stated above. If it was a 42, then I'd say it's a good idea. For some it can become fatiguing during extended sessions but that's up to you to determine.

What the hell is a mirage band?

The heat from your barrel will distort the target image if you are doing a long string of rounds. A band of cloth, plastic, etc, goes from the muzzle to the receiver end creating an air gap lowering the chance of barrel heat interfering with the image.

Last edited: