• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22 Muzzle brake

michiman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2017
I want to purchase the sako Muzzle brake for my new rifle. Its a trg 22 but in 6.5 creedmoor. I can't seem to find any brake that is caliber specific. Even on the sako website, it only lists one brake for the TRG 42and 22. Which leads me to think that the same Brake being used for the 338 lapua can be used for my 6.5 creedmoor? Do any of you have any experience with this specific brake?

You can use it but it's not as effective. I believe the one you are looking at is only for the .30 cal version, I believe the .338 is different. Is your heart set on the Sako TRG muzzle brake, you may want to look into aftermarket brakes and remember your thread pitch when purchasing. There are a lot of good ones out there. For example, Area 419 Hellfire, PVA Mad Scientist Brake, APA Little Bastard gen 2 and more. These are also self timing so that's nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference in recoil reduction between the .30 cal brake and the 6.5 is very little. Not enough to worry about.

Im sure you could find a 6.5 specific brake somewhere but Sako doesn't offer one to my knowledge.

Owning a TRG22 and 42, the muzzle brakes are the same. I interchange them and the hole in the brake is bored out to work with the .338 which means it's fine for smaller calibers.

I also run it when I swap barrels to 260 which is pretty close to the 6.5 in recoil. Honestly, you'd have a hard time telling the difference in recoil between the TRG and even more aggressive brakes. The videos online show the TRG brake works about as well as brakes that vent a lot more gas and noise back at the shooter. I tried an after-market brake and had a hard time telling any big difference in recoil to want to switch. Even worse, the after market brake opened up the groups where the TRG brake did not for my load.

Design-wise, the TRG brake is made to send more gas upwards and sideways than downwards to prevent dust from forming around your shooting position. It can be installed and removed easily by the end user.

The one downside to the TRG brake is that it's a little wider diameter than some other brands if that matters to you. It's not as trim as others.

I time the brake and put a mark on the barrel and brake with some paint (or you could use a carbide scribe to mark the metal). That way you can pull the brake off for cleaning, etc. and put it back again. You could also mark the clamp bolt the same way so when you tighten it you get it back to the same torque (or use a torque wrench). Like most all the components for the TRG, they are a little pricey but are well designed and work together in a nice package.

Last edited: