• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22 or Tikka T3X TAC A1

Thanks for the advice, I've never considered how the metal bits can catch the brush. And I think you are right about buying the rifle for the primary use, seems that TAC A1 is not the do-all rifle I thought it would be. By the way, do you have to buy the bipod for the trg 22? Would it be possible to just use a caldwell front bag? Actually almost everyone installs a bipod on their sniper rifle and I'm wondering why.

If you are doing long range work in a competition, etc. then a bipod I think is a must because it is fast to deploy and quick to build a consistent position. You are typically under time pressure in a comp and don't have time to mess around.

For hunting though I basically never carry a bipod because it's just more weight and many hunting shots you can't use a bipod effectively anyway in my experience. I just use my backpack or use a loop sling for sitting.

Nathan Foster talks about shooting off packs, etc. vs. a bipod here. The technique to shoot off improvised supports is different than doing free recoil with a bipod. You must hold the gun securely at the forend for starters:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

I own a TRG and an older Tikka M595 Master Sporter (Not T3) They are both beautiful rifles.
I *love* my TRG. It has the finest factory trigger I have ever felt. The balance is great, the stock is extremely comfortable and it is a laser.
If I had to choose between the two it would be the TRG. hands down.
Having said that there are some things to think about.
First the Sako accessories are very pricey. The bipod is fantastic but it is around $450.00.
The TRG is heavier to lug around.
If you want a 2 stage trigger go with the TRG.
If you are good with single stage go with the Tikka.
There are way more aftermarket accessories/chassis etc for the Tikka than the TRG.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comment! For my understanding, Tikka Tac A1 and Sako trg 22 have the exact same barrel, also, both rifles have double stage triggers, many people say they have the same accuracy. However, it's a known fact that trg 22 is the military sniper rifle of many nations. So there must be some reason why they chose the more expensive trg 22 over other less costly alternatives right? I'd really love to own a cool sniper rifle like the trg 22 but I have to be sure that I'm not only paying 1.2k dollars for the look and name.

I wouldn't rule out getting a CTR and learning what you do and do not like about it. You have the right recognition that there isn't really a do-it-all rifle. The goals for best hunting and best target shooter are just conflicting and not reconcilable.

Starting with a CTR you can determine what you like and don't like. Whittaker still has good pricing on them for a bit before their pricing goes up (the dealer incentives are apparently reducing soon).

My reason for a bipod is just ease of transport. My range has steep downhill steps and a walk to the rifle range so I'd rather not carry heavy caldwell bags in addition to other gear.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the Tikka CTR more!

Just get the TRG. Start with a rifle that is amazing. Anyone who says "get the tikka xxxxxx" is wrong. Yes Tikka rifles are accurate and reliable. Ive shot em. But i also shot a TRG22.... The Sako just has something more. A intangible. Its a rifle id love to own and if i didnt havea rifle i loved i would get.
Unless getting the TRG kills your budget for everything else. Then get a Tikka, a KRG Whiskey 3, and better glass.

Reactions: Mas
Thanks for the comment! For my understanding, Tikka Tac A1 and Sako trg 22 have the exact same barrel, also, both rifles have double stage triggers, many people say they have the same accuracy. However, it's a known fact that trg 22 is the military sniper rifle of many nations. So there must be some reason why they chose the more expensive trg 22 over other less costly alternatives right? I'd really love to own a cool sniper rifle like the trg 22 but I have to be sure that I'm not only paying 1.2k dollars for the look and name.

I asked to look at a TRG when I was at my local gun store. I had not gone in intending to buy anything. I felt the action, tested the trigger, looked at the fit and finish and put down my credit card. The TRG was too sweet to resist. I had some apologizing to do when I got home but flowers worked.

If you can afford the dough, buy the TRG. You will not regret it. It is not a rifle you will grow out of. It is not a purchase you will regret. The only way you are going to get a better rifle is to go custom.

Reactions: Mas
I asked to look at a TRG when I was at my local gun store. I had not gone in intending to buy anything. I felt the action, tested the trigger, looked at the fit and finish and put down my credit card. The TRG was too sweet to resist. I had some apologizing to do when I got home but flowers worked.

If you can afford the dough, buy the TRG. You will not regret it. It is not a rifle you will grow out of. It is not a purchase you will regret. The only way you are going to get a better rifle is to go custom.

What a vivid description! Also good job bringing your lady flowers!

I would be in a hard position to choose between the Tikka Tac A1 or new TRG 22 A1. Both have everything I would ever need from that kind of a rifle.

I have the Tac A1 but have also enough experience with the classic 42 (most fun was to shoot that one IRA style, from the back of a van, muzzle brake and everything). My Tictac has the TRG barrel - a 20 in 308 one, same profile, same muzzle thread, same accuracy that hovers around 1/2 moa (so far have taken it out to 600 m with Lapua 185 grain Scenars).

I am sure that if I owned a TRG I would be similarly passionate about how great it is. Have never read a review that said otherwise about the TRG rifles.

As it is I am a Tikka T3X TAC A1 owner. Actually, I own two. I haven’t owned a ton but I have owned several decent target rifles and the TAC A1 puts them all to shame. Fit and finish is first rate, the action is very smooth and the chassis is well thought out making the rifle relatively easy to transport and easy to clean.

My TAC A1 has become a reliable partner for shooting steel out to 1300 yards and beyond. It is incredibly consistent at 1000 yards.

As a former AR15 and AR10 shooter, I find the ergonomics of the TAC A1 very familiar and very comfortable. That said, I have never enjoyed being behind a traditional hunting stock. I am writing this so you have some idea of what I find comfortable. Many people feel just the opposite.

I have over 2200 documented round through the first TAC A1. There may be as many as 400 additional shots through the rifle as I shot a lot of factory ammo before I found the magic load for the rifle. The high round count is why I purchased the second rifle. The second rifle likes the same magic load but with a different seating depth. When accuracy falls off on the first rifle, I will have it rebarreled.

In summary, I find the TAC A1 to be extremely comfortable to shoot. It comes with the spacers you need to change the length of pull and the comb is very adjustable and very stable. When shooting paper at 100 or 200 yards from prone with a bipod up front and a bag at the rear, both of mine can shot .4 MOA groups. I have shot much better than that on occasion but I think I am a .5 MOA shooter at this point. The folding stock locks up perfectly with no perceptible slop. The trigger is very adjustable and with a $10 aftermarket trigger spring, you can get the trigger pull down to about a pound. The stock trigger is very decent. I have hunted deer with mine but admittedly from a ground based blind near the edge of the woods where ingress and egress were relatively easy and the walk was less then 1/2 mile. That said, I would agree it is not the best choice for hunting.

It sounds like you can’t go wrong with either rifle.

Good luck with your fun choice,
Henryrifle

Reactions: Bravo6
If you buy the TRG, then you will be happy with the quality of the rifle, the feel of the trigger, and the accuracy. If you buy the Tikka, you’ll definitely spend time and money to get it to where you want it. And, you’ll always be thinking about the TRG.

If you’re set in getting the tikka, then look at the KRG bravo stock. It takes a lot of design aspects from the TRG. Then wait for the KRG Midas trigger which will turn your tikka into a TRG mini. It’s fun.

If you buy the TRG, then you will be happy with the quality of the rifle, the feel of the trigger, and the accuracy. If you buy the Tikka, you’ll definitely spend time and money to get it to where you want it. And, you’ll always be thinking about the TRG.

If you’re set in getting the tikka, then look at the KRG bravo stock. It takes a lot of design aspects from the TRG. Then wait for the KRG Midas trigger which will turn your tikka into a TRG mini. It’s fun.

I don't know that I can 100% agree with that. I've got my TAC A1 and don't have anything that I find lacking in it. Chassis works great for me, better than the KRG X-Ray that I tried on my CTR. For trigger and accuracy, I'm confident that the rifle is more accurate than me. Using just bulk American Gunner all my groups have been sub-MOA, many sub 1/2 MOA, and I shot one today trying out Hornady Match that was 0.22" at 100 yards.

Of those, TRG. If I was looking at TRG's however then I'd spend a few bucks more and get an AI AT.

When I was raising money for my short action AI AXMC I sold my trg22. I love my ai, but it's not 2x better then my trg was. I like my AI better but it cost over twice what my trg cost.

Now for hunting. I am not a chassis guy for hunting. I much prefer a standard stock. I guess it's the 20+ years I've spend with a stocked rifle. It depends what kind of hunting you are doing. If you are a stand hunter then it probably doesn't matter what you get. However for a spot and stalk like I am usually doing i couldn't see packing a Trg in the woods.

I have the TRG 42 for 8 years now. Hands down, the best factory 2 stage trigger I have ever felt. Mags and bipod are a pain in the ass for sure, but I happened to get lucky years ago and snagged a new bipod for 350 on a clearance sale. I still only have one mag. But if you want to really get nauseous, look at the pricing on the factory folding stock if they still make them.

This thread is two years old, but any more feedback on the Tikka Tac A1 or Tikka CTR vs the traditional Sako TRG?

Thanks much! I love the Tikka rifles, but am tempted to get a TRG-22 in 6.5. Have already owned and competed with both CTR and TAC A1.

Will I get a little better accuracy with the Sako?
Is the extra $1000+ worth it for the Sako?
What advantages will the TRG give over a stock Tac A1 or custom Tikka?

Jeff

This thread is pretty accurate. The TRGs are nicer fit/finish and more rugged. Accuracy is about the same, assuming that the rifle fits you. The TRG accessories are very expensive. Less aftermarket stuff available than the Tikkas.