• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SAKO TRG 22 - Questions about integrated dovetail

Greg308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2012
Hi all,

First post here. I'm looking to get into long range shooting seriously and picking up a SAKO TRG 22 .308. For my optics I have a thing for Leupold and am thinking along the lines of a Mark 4 30mm tube scope either in 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50. I'd like the higher magnification of the 20x but am worried I might be limiting myself since the 20x's elevation range is only 70MOA whereas the 14x's is 100MOA.

This brings me to the point of the TRG mounting platform. Previously I've used friends' Rem 700's and Savage 10FP's for which it's easy to find 20-25MOA canted rails from Leupold. The SAKO has integrated scope rails but I have no idea if they have any inclination. Their inclination seems to be built into their fancy 3piece ring assembly rather than the rail which I don't even know if it'll work with the scope I have in mind. I also see SAKO refers to these rails as "proprietary" sometimes. To me they look like dead standard 17mm dovetails. Can I even clamp on regular rings on here? and if so how do I cant it downward by 20-30MOA?

I'm in Italy and everything costs 50-70% more here so I'm trying to have a friend pick up all the optics and accessories on his trip to the US next month. I have to special order the rifle so I can't visually check what I need so I was hoping someone would know.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Greg

Re: SAKO TRG 22 - Questions about integrated dovetail

Spuhr makes a great 30mm mount for the TRG with 24 moa built in. The model number is ST-3701. They aren't cheap, but it may be that you can source one directly from Spuhr in Sweden. If not, I've got one for sale in the PX here.

I like that it is a solid one piece and mounts lower than if you add a picatinny rail onto the dovetail.

Here's a link to their various models:
Spuhr Models

If you don't mind adding a rail onto the TRG's dovetail, NEAR Mfg makes an excellent rail that fits the TRG 22.
Near Mfg

I measured the dovetail on a TRG 22 and it is 15.96mm at the widest. The profile is not symmetrical as it is slightly more chamfered on the upper left. The Spuhr mount locks onto it securely.

TNVC sells the Spuhr mounts, the NEAR rails, as stated above, is also an excellent mounting solution.

The Spuhr mount has a lug that sits in one of the recesses of the receiver to prevent shifting on recoil. This is how the factory epoxied picatinny rail engages the receiver, in addition to several of the mounting screws.

Even if you could find standalone rings that fit the oddball dovetail, rings don't come with recoil lugs so you open yourself up to the possibility of something moving on you. NEAR, as mentioned, makes a really nice picatinny section with machined recoil lugs specific for Sako installs. Just add rings.

It's either this method or using a Spuhr or Sako's unit. MHSA also started selling Spuhr integrated mounts.

The Spuhr mount is great. Also Badger makes a base for the TRG-42 and I think the 22, USO also at one time made a TRG base. You definitely have options.
Justin

I'm running a NEAR 25 MOA rail, USO rings, and a USO SN3 on my TRG-22. I've been very pleased with the Near MFG rail and will buy another when it comes time to purchase a TRG-42. Ignore the factory dovetail IMHO. One piece mounts that utilize it (factory and others) are expensive and I personally don't trust them.

I'm curious if there are particular examples which make you question the mechanical strength of dovetail system? AI and Sako both use the dovetails and I'm not aware of any issues. I do recall the factory epoxied picatinny coming loose on a TRG-42 in an older thread here on SH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious if there are particular examples which make you question the mechanical strength of dovetail system? AI and Sako both use the dovetails and I'm not aware of any issues. I do recall the factory epoxied picatinny coming loose on a TRG-42 in an older thread here on SH. </div></div>

No particular reason. I'm just more comfortable with the traditional lugged base and standard rings. Never had them fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cms81586</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious if there are particular examples which make you question the mechanical strength of dovetail system? AI and Sako both use the dovetails and I'm not aware of any issues. I do recall the factory epoxied picatinny coming loose on a TRG-42 in an older thread here on SH. </div></div>

No particular reason. I'm just more comfortable with the traditional lugged base and standard rings. Never had them fail. </div></div>

That doesnt sounds particular smart.......
In what way do you consider there is a big pricedifferance betwen a rail (175USD) + rings (215USD) of total of 380 USD to a 400 dollar mount?
Maybe it's just me beeing ignorant, but on a 3000 dollar rifle, with a 2000 dollar scope, I have a hard time seeing the approx 20 dollar pricediferance as significant?

Espesially when that also includes a spirit level and possibilitys that noone else if offering................

I would never consider mounting a picatinny on to a TRG or a AI, when there is a perfect steel rail machined in one piece with the action.
Looking at Remington actions people are paying premiums for actions with integrated rails (surgeon for example)
And If I went the Remington route I would certainly have used the Surgeon or similar action as well as I cannot see any reason in the world for having a screw on picatinny rail who possible can come loose.....

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cms81586</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious if there are particular examples which make you question the mechanical strength of dovetail system? AI and Sako both use the dovetails and I'm not aware of any issues. I do recall the factory epoxied picatinny coming loose on a TRG-42 in an older thread here on SH. </div></div>

No particular reason. I'm just more comfortable with the traditional lugged base and standard rings. Never had them fail. </div></div>

That doesnt sounds particular smart.......
In what way do you consider there is a big pricedifferance betwen a rail (175USD) + rings (215USD) of total of 380 USD to a 400 dollar mount?
Maybe it's just me beeing ignorant, but on a 3000 dollar rifle, with a 2000 dollar scope, I have a hard time seeing the approx 20 dollar pricediferance as significant?

Espesially when that also includes a spirit level and possibilitys that noone else if offering................

I would never consider mounting a picatinny on to a TRG or a AI, when there is a perfect steel rail machined in one piece with the action.
Looking at Remington actions people are paying premiums for actions with integrated rails (surgeon for example)
And If I went the Remington route I would certainly have used the Surgeon or similar action as well as I cannot see any reason in the world for having a screw on picatinny rail who possible can come loose.....

Håkan </div></div>

And you don't sound particularly humble. I prefer a lugged Near base and rings. Because of my perference that's what I suggested. They're much more flexible when it comes to finding a preferred optic height and the proper rings. Good luck finding a 35mm ring diameter dovetail mount at this point in time. I understand you're going to push your product, but attempting to insult a potential customers intelligence isn't exactly good business practice. Maybe it works in Europe though??? My personal preference doesn't match the characteristics of your product thats all. I'm not in here bashing your product...so don't take it personal when I suggest something else.

ETA: A properly mounted Picatinny rail is not going to come loose. Good rails for the TRG will utilize every lug recess in the top of the receiver. That's plenty or real estate to prevent movement in any direction and the force required to break every screw on the base is more than likely going to put the optic out of commission anyways. Pic base and rings or dovetail mount...6 in one and 1/2 dozen in the other. Both will get the job done as long as you're buying a quality mount. I like what I like...doubt anyone will be able to change that.

CMS

Works for me:
IMG_4473.jpg

CMS

That was the obvius answer when you states the dovetail mount was to expensive. And also not as durable.

Both Near and US optics makes great products, no discusion about that. And you are right, when it comes to 35mm rings, there is not much choise, but that was not the question, as the question was about 30mm.

Any real differance in height is there not betwen a dovetail and a picatinny. The Picatinny build about 10mm (.400)
The rings usally around 25mm (1")
That togheter is 35mm (1,35)
And that is what our mounts are.....:)

If I built an accurate rifle for myself today that would be one with integrated rail, cause that is one thing less that can come loose.
I have had rails coming loose, and I know actually quite a number of people who had the same problems.

I would never have responded to your imput if you not said dovetail mount solutions was less trustable.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CMS

That was the obvius answer when you states the dovetail mount was to expensive. And also not as durable.

Both Near and US optics makes great products, no discusion about that. And you are right, when it comes to 35mm rings, there is not much choise, but that was not the question, as the question was about 30mm.

Any real differance in height is there not betwen a dovetail and a picatinny. The Picatinny build about 10mm (.400)
The rings usally around 25mm (1")
That togheter is 35mm (1,35)
And that is what our mounts are.....:)

If I built an accurate rifle for myself today that would be one with integrated rail, cause that is one thing less that can come loose.
I have had rails coming loose, and I know actually quite a number of people who had the same problems.

I would never have responded to your imput if you not said dovetail mount solutions was less trustable.

Håkan </div></div>

Note in my original reply to the OP I stated "I just personally don't trust them". Part of that "lack of trust" I have is spending $400 on a mount that may or may not be the correct height for me without finding one locally to confirm first. You are also correct that there's little difference in price between either route (Pic rail and ring or dovetail mount), but if I decide to move along to another optic with a different diameter tube in the future, all I have to buy is rings.

Nowhere along the lines did I say that they are in fact less trustable or that they're not reliable. Call me afraid of change...old fashioned...whatever. I just prefer the flexibility a picatinny rail offers over a fixed height mount/ring combo.