• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 reality check

westford86

Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I have been out of the loop on firearms for a while, so I just want to get a reality check on a TRG-22 in .308 I am thinking about buying. I have always wanted a TRG, it's just my favorite factory bolt gun and I love the action and the trigger on this thing. My big hesitation on the rifle is that I want to move to 6.5 for any of my future short action rifles. I know I can rebarrel the rifle, but that's an expensive proposition especially when I could get one from the factory with a 6.5 barrel. I don't think it's good enough of a deal to make it worth purchasing for the stock and bipod...

I was able to talk my local shop down to $3200 on the rifle, I am pretty sure it's a pre-2013.

Nice price or crack-pipe price?

IMG_20200918_150153756.jpg

New? A plain jane TRG22 goes for about 2800. Eurooptic has a few on sale at that price now. Did you get this with the bi-pod and mono-pod? With the folder that's a steal. You did very good. And a muzzle break, this had to be used at that price!

New? A plain jane TRG22 goes for about 2800. Eurooptic has a few on sale at that price now. Did you get this with the bi-pod and mono-pod? With the folder that's a steal. You did very good. And a muzzle break, this had to be used at that price!

Yes, it is used. And comes as pictured. My local shop bought a guys whole collection of several TRG rifles, but they don't really know the history in terms of round count, etc. I haven't bought it yet... I am on the fence.

The muzzle break is $200, bipod is nearly $500. Buy it, it's a steal even used!

Reactions: 308pirate
Buy it shoot it and enjoy it. It's a 308 so it's not like we the barrel is shot out. Save your pennies and make it into a switch Barrel... get whatever caliber you want at that point.

If you like the AI rifles, maybe consider that you're going to a switch Barrel

The TRG-22 folding stocks are a HUGE upcharge from the base model. That one seems to have a lot of goodies for the price.

Reactions: VargmatII
Like others have said, the folding stock is very expensive, as are all the other add ons.

Original Sako folding stock, picatinny scope rail, night vision bridge, bipod and muzzle brake. It all adds upp to a very costly rifle.
If it is in good condition, like it looks to be. Then you should buy it allready.

You can get a 6.5 barrel down the road from KRG or have a smith spin one up for you.

I bought my TRG 22 earlier this year. Got a good deal on it, but not as good of a deal as this.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Great find. Yes, there is a huge upcharge for folding stock and Sako bipods are also big money.

I just bought one of the plain TRG's from Eurooptic for slightly over $2500, which I thought was a decent deal, but it didn't include any of those extras. I'm going to see how I like the existing stock, but might swap it out for a KRG fixed stock, which I think run about $650 ($850 for the folding version). At that price I'll be into the rifle for $3200, plus another $180 for a muzzle brake. Not sure how the KRG stock compares to the Sako stock, but if you don't move forward with this deal, that might be another way to go. Still, if the rifle you found is in good shape and doesn't have too many rounds through the barrel (which is less of a concern with a .308) you've got an excellent deal.

P.S. I assume it comes with at least one mag. If not might try to get a little more knocked off as mags retail for $250. And of course if it comes with multiple mags it's an even better deal.

Looking at the picture there is a mag in the rifle.

Great find. Yes, there is a huge upcharge for folding stock and Sako bipods are also big money.

I just bought one of the plain TRG's from Eurooptic for slightly over $2500, which I thought was a decent deal, but it didn't include any of those extras. I'm going to see how I like the existing stock, but might swap it out for a KRG fixed stock, which I think run about $650 ($850 for the folding version). At that price I'll be into the rifle for $3200, plus another $180 for a muzzle brake. Not sure how the KRG stock compares to the Sako stock, but if you don't move forward with this deal, that might be another way to go. Still, if the rifle you found is in good shape and doesn't have too many rounds through the barrel (which is less of a concern with a .308) you've got an excellent deal.

P.S. I assume it comes with at least one mag. If not might try to get a little more knocked off as mags retail for $250. And of course if it comes with multiple mags it's an even better deal.

If you want the Sako TRG22 in 6.5CM look at this, beats your dealers price and checks it all:
Unless of course you are hooked on the folder, in which case you might have to go with the .308, or if you are planning to re-barrel you could still get this one and get the TRG folder buttstock from KRG.
Might still be cheaper than a re-barrel that way, you do the math.

I bought my non-folder TRG-22 off of here for $2000 a few months back. No bipod, NV bridge, brake, nor folding stock were included.

While the folding stock is a ton of money from Beretta I don't know that I'd buy that rifle if you are looking to swap calibers immediately either.

I like my TRG-22, however, a used AI AT folder from the EE in the caliber you want would be a better investment for you I think.

Here's mine:
preview

In the case of receiver screws, if the rifle is sensitive to screw torque, the action isn’t supported. Properly bed the action, and then it won’t matter what the screw torque is.
Get in line!!! :)

Hell I want thirds on this one & I have a GenII folder sitting in my safe right now...
OP, it is a killer deal for what your getting. The factory 308 barrel is an excellent shooter and I have taken mine to at least 4000 rounds before I had reason to rebarrel. Plus PVA is offering pre-fit barrels for the TRG so no gunsmith down time. TRGs are not advertised as a rifle that you can interchange barrels but from all I have seen the actions are machined precisely enough so it is no problem. Get a good barrel vise and a KRG action wrench and your good to go. Plus it is my personal opinion that the GenII Sako folder is much nicer than the KRG. That is not meant to bag on KRG, I love the company and their products 100% just in this specific comparison the Sako option is nicer.

Reactions: Bravo6
I blew your pic. up to as big as I could (300%) and the gun looks virtually new to me. I see no wear on the joint for the bi-pod legs. I see no wear on the bolt and I see no crud on the brake. I appears there are a couple of bright spots on the rail so the previous owner might have mounted a scope. Most of the factory rail are 0MOA. If that is the case just go to a Spuhr or if you want to save a few bucks get the new Burris XTR Signature Rings that allow you to build in elevation. The folder with the ski monopod is second generation(win).

I can see the original price on the tag. I don't know how well funded your LGS is but if they bought a collection of the TRGs it might have left them a little cash poor. I believe the pricing might be the result of that. I also don't how well funded you are but if you are I would go back with the expectation of spending a lot more. Find out what the other TRGs are. Maybe one is a .260. There is probably a 42 (.338LM or .300WM). There may be a take off alpha scope with mounts.

On a TRG the folder, brake and bipod will fit any TRG. If there are other rifles you can switch back and forth. If there is nothing more than ask them if they've got an extra mag. they can throw in. If they say no than buy it before they change there mind. You can check for usage by extracting the bolt. About an inch and a half from bolt handle, on the bolt body, there will be a wear mark that is inscribed on the circumference of the bolt. It will be about one sixth the total circumference of the bolt. If this is visible but barely it is almost (?) uncycled. If it is bright it could still have a very low round count but if is only faint the bolt has hardly been cycled.

Reactions: UTB and westford86
FYI you can get a pretty fair amount out of a take-off TRG barrel in the for-sale section in case you want to rebarrel. Also @jbell I don't know if you've handled the Gen 6 fixed or folder but I'd be interested to hear in what way you prefer the TRG rear.
Justin

Been camping the past day. Dropped by the shop yesterday on my way out to put a deposit on it to lock in the price; going to pick up the rifle Monday.

For anyone else wondering, it's Parro's in Waterbury Vermont. They have two more Sakos from the same guy who sold his collection to them. The other two are both TRG-42's in 300 Win Mag, black fixed stocks. Both have hard cases and an extra mag, if I recall one has a brake and bi-pod ($2500), and the other is just the rifle with case and mags ($1995).

FYI you can get a pretty fair amount out of a take-off TRG barrel in the for-sale section in case you want to rebarrel. Also @jbell I don't know if you've handled the Gen 6 fixed or folder but I'd be interested to hear in what way you prefer the TRG rear.
Justin

To be fair I have not. But comparing the Sako TRG folder the few W3 folders I have used (I think they were a few generations ago) I prefer the push button locks on the Sako folder and I love that dog leg monopod.

It’s off topic, but I do have to say that I am completely impressed by the Bravo chassis. I feel it is not giving up any function over anything out there in a fixed stock or chassis, never mind being 1/3 or less the price. The only modification I did on mine was add 2 of the weighted butt plate spacers and I like it every bit as much as my Manners with a mini chassis.

To be fair I have not. But comparing the Sako TRG folder the few W3 folders I have used (I think they were a few generations ago) I prefer the push button locks on the Sako folder and I love that dog leg monopod.

It’s off topic, but I do have to say that I am completely impressed by the Bravo chassis. I feel it is not giving up any function over anything out there in a fixed stock or chassis, never mind being 1/3 or less the price. The only modification I did on mine was add 2 of the weighted butt plate spacers and I like it every bit as much as my Manners with a mini chassis.

Thank you for the info! I do like that monopod too. Thanks for the kind words and your business.

I wonder if these TRG's belonged to @sirhrmechanic ?

Good price for the great rifle. Sako ITRS, bipod, gen II folding stock, muzzle brake. 3200 is a steal.

Attachments

• 11EC5F05-149B-4914-AE83-600976C65497.jpeg
    11EC5F05-149B-4914-AE83-600976C65497.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 228
  • E86B1FE8-473A-4FAC-B269-36F7364E390B.jpeg
    E86B1FE8-473A-4FAC-B269-36F7364E390B.jpeg
    998.5 KB · Views: 196
  • F2E25F20-2325-47DF-A18A-93E44B2301F4.jpeg
    F2E25F20-2325-47DF-A18A-93E44B2301F4.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: VargmatII
Thank you for the info! I do like that monopod too. Thanks for the kind words and your business.

I wonder if these TRG's belonged to @sirhrmechanic ?
I know all three of those rifles that are at Parros and they are steals! They came form a collection of a local guy who bought all kinds of high end tactical gear for his ‘man cave’ but never shot any of it. I bought a FNScar and three like-new USO scopes from the estate in April.

Those Sakos are an utter steal and I almost bought the ‘loaded’ one myself to flip as Parros had it underpriced. There is another “stock” trg-22 and a trg 42 in 300 wm there as well. If they have 20 rounds through them I’d be surprised.

Buy with confidence.

Thanks @Massoud for the tag!

Cheers, Sirhr

I wonder if they will ship to a FFL. I have a TRG-22 in .308 and a 42 in .338. A .300WM would be nice!

Picked it up this afternoon. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow. Hopefully it like 168gn Federal Gold Medal, because that's all I have for factory ammo right now. Probably going to load some 175gn SMK for it soon.
Hope you really enjoy it.
I've had some time on a TRG in .308.
A beautiful, sexy beast

Picked it up this afternoon. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow. Hopefully it like 168gn Federal Gold Medal, because that's all I have for factory ammo right now. Probably going to load some 175gn SMK for it soon.

Mine shoots very good with the 175 grain SMK.
My go to bullet is the Lapua Scenar L 175 as they are cheaper around here, and shoots just as good as the SMK. The 155 grain Scenar is no slouch either.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will ship to a FFL. I have a TRG-22 in .308 and a 42 in .338. A .300WM would be nice!

I turned one down a few months back for $2000 --TRG42 in .300WM. Bipod, fixed stock, no front rail. Wanted .338, NEEDED .338... Been sitting on a Elite Iron can for it for a few years.

I turned one down a few months back for $2000 --TRG42 in .300WM. Bipod, fixed stock, no front rail. Wanted .338, NEEDED .338... Been sitting on a Elite Iron can for it for a few years.

Eurooptic was blowing out TRG42's 338's for $2500 YEARS ago. I hate myself for not picking one up.

Reactions: stefan73 and IW21
Westford86, congrats. you made a great buy. A couple of quick recommendations for when you get out to shoot your TRG. The triggers on the TRGs are legendary. You may find that the pull when you hit the wall (second stage) seems heavier than you would expect. This is particularly true when you consider all the good press. If you shoot ten or twenty rounds I doubt you will have any need to make adjustments. Should you decide to lighten the trigger do some research. They are a little notorious monsters if not adjusted in the proper manner. Two posters on your thread live at least somewhat nearby. jbell and sirhrmechanic may be able to guide you. Be careful with sirhr. One should tip-toe around anybody that is fascinated by and builds cannons :oops:.

The other is FGMM. If yours is older there is probably no issue. If it is recent you should read this thread https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/anyone-had-trouble-chambering-the-new-fgmm-168-or-175’s.7015618/#post-8883380. If your FGMM is a recent purchase, please post whether you have any problems chambering rounds.

Actually, they Love the 168’s. I have shot 175’s in mine. But the 168’s are more accurate. Sirhr

man for that price is a steal ! i wish they were still within reach in AUS , their new prices have gone into AI territory
Congrats on the sweet rig

Actually, they Love the 168’s. I have shot 175’s in mine. But the 168’s are more accurate. Sirhr

After I got it zeroed my first 3 shot group at 100 yards was .4 MOA, so I'm pretty happy with it! The bipod and monopod are rock solid, I don't think I'll ever need to shoot it off a rest.

I'm on my phone, so not sure how to do multiple quotes, but to answer Quarter House, I didn't have any issues with chambering the FGMM.

I put my Henzoldt 4-16 H59 on it, I think it's a perfect match for the rifle, but my current mount situation isn't ideal.

Just look at the photo of the scope base, what was the previous owner thinking? It makes no sense to me why it's so far forward on the receiver. Also the base is mounted with flat head screws and copious amounts of lock tite, so I am not looking forward to removing it.

I had the scope in a Spuhr SP-4616 (cantilevered) from when it was on a gas gun, but had to move it to a 0 MOA MPA mount because the rail was mounted so far forward on the receiver. I will post my Spuhr mount on the EE to see if I can get a trade for a SP-4602... So in the mean time I want to get a different scope base, preferably a 20 MOA so I can leave the scope in the MPA mount. What's the best scope base for the Sako rifles?

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_124730417.jpg
    IMG_20200926_124730417.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20200926_134734570.jpg
    IMG_20200926_134734570.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 1,414