• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 reality check

The previous owner of the SCAR had a USO marine 4x mounted in (can’t make this up) a flip-aside Mount made for a magnifier that would have gone behind a red dot. The scope wiggled back and forth like a rattlesnake.

For your gun... go with the Spuhr. I’d run one but they don’t fit the erector of my 5x25 tpal uso. I think I run a warne 20moa down base, but it’s been so long since I set it up, I’d have to look at my data book.

Get a good data book for that rifle, btw. Log every shot. Your dope will be like gold by the time you get 1000 rounds through it.

Well bought! But trying to chisel Ethan out of extra mags and a free pelican case... c’mon man... we’re better than that :) Wait until The German hears about it... ah hahhahaha...

Cheers and congrats. Glad someone here got that rifle. Two more on the shop floor waiting for some smart SH locals to snap them up!

Sirhr

I put my Henzoldt 4-16 H59 on it, I think it's a perfect match for the rifle, but my current mount situation isn't ideal.

Just look at the photo of the scope base, what was the previous owner thinking? It makes no sense to me why it's so far forward on the receiver. Also the base is mounted with flat head screws and copious amounts of lock tite, so I am not looking forward to removing it.

Excellent choice on the scope. I am highly considering a Hensoldt 4-16 for my TRG 22 as well. I had a Hensoldt a few years back and I miss it sometimes.

The picatinny scope base is/was mounted so far forward for a purpose. You see, the last part of the reciever dove tail is left free for the original back up iron sights. You will notice that there is also a small cut in the barrel just after the muzzle tread. It is there for the same purpose, to align the iron sight. A cool feature is that the cheekpiece on the original (non folding) stock is hollow and has room for storing the back up sight in it. I dont know if there is room in the folding stock in the same way, but I dont think there is.

Reactions: westford86
Great find. Yes, there is a huge upcharge for folding stock and Sako bipods are also big money.

I just bought one of the plain TRG's from Eurooptic for slightly over $2500, which I thought was a decent deal, but it didn't include any of those extras. I'm going to see how I like the existing stock, but might swap it out for a KRG fixed stock, which I think run about $650 ($850 for the folding version). At that price I'll be into the rifle for $3200, plus another $180 for a muzzle brake. Not sure how the KRG stock compares to the Sako stock, but if you don't move forward with this deal, that might be another way to go. Still, if the rifle you found is in good shape and doesn't have too many rounds through the barrel (which is less of a concern with a .308) you've got an excellent deal.

P.S. I assume it comes with at least one mag. If not might try to get a little more knocked off as mags retail for $250. And of course if it comes with multiple mags it's an even better deal.
Is that $2500 out the door with tax included?

Excellent choice on the scope. I am highly considering a Hensoldt 4-16 for my TRG 22 as well. I had a Hensoldt a few years back and I miss it sometimes.

The picatinny scope base is/was mounted so far forward for a purpose. You see, the last part of the reciever dove tail is left free for the original back up iron sights. You will notice that there is also a small cut in the barrel just after the muzzle tread. It is there for the same purpose, to align the iron sight. A cool feature is that the cheekpiece on the original (non folding) stock is hollow and has room for storing the back up sight in it. I dont know if there is room in the folding stock in the same way, but I dont think there is.

I completely forgot about the iron sight option. That's a feature I will likely never use, but pretty interesting.

Reactions: VargmatII
The previous owner of the SCAR had a USO marine 4x mounted in (can’t make this up) a flip-aside Mount made for a magnifier that would have gone behind a red dot. The scope wiggled back and forth like a rattlesnake.

For your gun... go with the Spuhr. I’d run one but they don’t fit the erector of my 5x25 tpal uso. I think I run a warne 20moa down base, but it’s been so long since I set it up, I’d have to look at my data book.

Get a good data book for that rifle, btw. Log every shot. Your dope will be like gold by the time you get 1000 rounds through it.

Well bought! But trying to chisel Ethan out of extra mags and a free pelican case... c’mon man... we’re better than that :) Wait until The German hears about it... ah hahhahaha...

Cheers and congrats. Glad someone here got that rifle. Two more on the shop floor waiting for some smart SH locals to snap them up!

Sirhr

That optic setup is the most cringe worthy thing I have read in a while. I have an extra data book kicking around somewhere, I'll have to dig it up.

Sadly, Ethan wouldn't budge on a case or extra mag. But it still blows my mind that they wouldn't have those two things to go with the most expensive of the three Sako rifles on the floor. I wish I was around months ago when they first got that guys collection, sounds like there were some good buys to be had, which is rare these days...

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Well fellows, my budget just got a big cut thanks to all of you... The last TRG-42 from that floor is on a way to my FFL (first time buying sight unseen based on forum commentary :)). Not sure if I could do better somewhere else, hope not to regret.
Thank you... you saved me from buying it!

Sirhr

Just to confirm how great these rifles are - took my TRG-22 to the range again today. I'd re-adjusted the scope so I had to re-zero. Then shot three 5 round groups at 100 yards (FGMM 168 gr. in .308). Shooting off of the Sako bi-pod (which I really like) groups measured .7", .55" and .45". That's with no fliers/do-overs, etc. I've now put approx. 100 rounds through it and my worst 5 shot group was just under 1 MOA. Looking forward to seeing what this rifle can do at 5-600 yards and beyond.

Reactions: stefan73