• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 Stuck Bolt

operator74656

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
NAS Oceana, VA
www.flickr.com
Hello all,

After 400 rounds through this rifle I have had my first issue...
I was at the range with my TRG and after my first shot was fired I was able to rotate the bolt up to the unlocked position but could not pull it back.

I ended up having to point the muzzle down to the ground and gently bump the bolt knob against the shooting bench to get it to pull back. I fired 2 more shots and both had the same issue.

Interestingly, the ammunition would cycle no problem until I fired a shot.....then that round would be unable to eject. After calling it quits for the day, I examined the spent casings and they looked to be in good shape.

I have only used FGMM with this rifle and had been using a new box of 168s. After a good cleaning and inspection of both the ejector spring and extractor I went back to the range with a different box of 175s....same thing for 2 rounds.

So off it went back to the factory since it is still under warranty. I am by no means a gunsmith, but figured with this pricey rifle I would just send it back and see what they say. Any thoughts?

Re: Sako TRG-22 Stuck Bolt

I would've tried different ammo before sending the rifle back.

The first thing I would do is clean the chamber with some alcohol and see how she looks. Also check the fired cases for any pitting on the body which would corellate to a dirty chamber. Good luck.
smile.gif

Regards,
Paul

Did you do a thorough cleaning/inspection? Seems kind of strange to all of sudden have issues after 400rds. Be interesting to see how Sako/Beretta customer service is.

Your chamber has rust in it. Same thing happened to me. A little CLP, chamber brush, fine steel wool and cordless drill and problem solved. Still shoots 'em into the same hole.

I had a similar issue with my TRG. I don't remember the round count after cleaning and before failure, but the problem was caused by a dirty chamber. My TRG seems to have a minimum spec chamber. Brass just doesn't seem to stretch much at all in that rifle. I now clean it a little more frequently to prevent this issue.

What they all said. Same thing started to happen on me with my 6.5cm.. cleaned it real good and didn't have the problem again.. Hopefully you don't get a huge bill for a cleaning
wink.gif

i had the exact same problem at about the same round count, I had been shooting and neglected cleaning the chamber.
Like mentioned above, clean the chamber and the problem is solved.

Thanks everyone for their opinions.....
i did try a different ammo before sending it back.....no difference.

I have to admit chamber cleaning is not part of my regular cleaning drill....and now that you mention it when I looked with a flashlight there were some spots that looked like rust in there....

How do you guys clean your chambers?

I had the same thing happen with a Savage 308. Yes, not a TRG but shouldn't matter. I was shooting a lot the first summer I got it and the chamber got a slight bit of surface rust. I assume it was from the sweat/salt of my fingers touching the case then the chamber. The bolt was sticking exactly as you described. I used a shotgun swab on a power drill with some cleaner and spun it out. After that, no chamber stick and the surface rust caused no effect on accuracy or brass after it was removed.

400 rounds no issue...now having problems. It sounds like a user issue.

within less than 200 rounds, clean the bolt face, chamber, lug area and you'll probably be good to go.