• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako trg 22 vs curtis vector pva build

Keep the curtis vector or get a sako trg 22?

• Total voters

jb41291

Bobby
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Colorado springs, CO
I have a curtis vector action i sent into pva in july to get 2 barrels chambered for it. 1 in 6.5 creedmoor and the other in 223 wylde. The trigger will be a timney calvin elite 2 stage straight. It will also sit in my mpa ba chassis with a vortex razor gen 2 locked down with a spuhr mount. While waiting for my build i made the mistake of looking at the sako trg 22. Big mistake. I haven't received my build and already want the sako. I will exercise patience and see how i like the pva vector build. If for some reason i do not like it i may put the action, barrels, trigger, and chassis up for sale to fund the trg 22. I have not seen anything bad about the trg except accessories are very expensive. I hope i enjoy my curtis build.

I’ve got a TRG (actually the wife has a TRG lol) and it’s a bad ass rifle right out of the box. Trigger is awesome, everything is adjustable. Paraphrasing someone else on here “they kinda shoot themselves”. Wife was shooting sub MOA her first time out with 175gr FGMM and she’s got minimal time behind a long gun.

I’m a TRG guy all the way. I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. I don’t think you can go wrong with either option.

In my opinion the a custom action (Curtis, Origin, Nulceus etc.) in a KRG Bravo is pretty much the equivalent to a TRG. It’s kind of surprising it took this long to duplicate the TRG concept.

SAKO has the 3 lug action and 2 stage trigger figured out. Not sure if these new actions and triggers are at that level, but it has to be close. It’s a great time to get into precision rifle shooting!

Reactions: Bravo6 and jb41291
I have owned many many customs, 3 AI's, SSG69, SSG3000, & 2 TRG's. There is a TRG sitting in my safe right now and always will be...

Reactions: jb41291 and Bradu
I have a curtis vector action i sent into pva in july to get 2 barrels chambered for it. 1 in 6.5 creedmoor and the other in 223 wylde. The trigger will be a timney calvin elite 2 stage straight. It will also sit in my mpa ba chassis with a vortex razor gen 2 locked down with a spuhr mount. While waiting for my build i made the mistake of looking at the sako trg 22. Big mistake. I haven't received my build and already want the sako. I will exercise patience and see how i like the pva vector build. If for some reason i do not like it i may put the action, barrels, trigger, and chassis up for sale to fund the trg 22. I have not seen anything bad about the trg except accessories are very expensive. I hope i enjoy my curtis build.
Be prepared to lose1/4 to 1/3 of your investment.

TRG. Seldom do "custom rifles" hold their original prices. Unless:
a. Well known/respected builder using premium components
b. Customization/improvement perfectly meet new buyer's requirement

I have a custom 700 (AICS 1.5, Broughton barrel, blue printed, trigger by RD Precision) it is more accurate than my TRG22. I doubt I will recuperate 60% of my original investment when/if I decide to sell the 700

Yes, i understand i will take a hit if i go the trg route. If im lucky and can find a used trg for a decent price i may just add it to my collection

I found ours for $2k in like new condition on gunbroker. I've seen several go in that price range on there.

Reactions: jb41291
You could drop the vector in a krg w3 (tougher chassis than trg) and ditch the timney 2 stage for a cg Jackson or giessele. Both those triggers are better than the timney, and are right with a trg trigger. I've got a trg trigger in my custom tikka/w3, and it's very nice, but I still like my aiae triggers better. The trg trigger is still awesome and thats not a slight against them. Set up like that, I dont think you will miss the trg, and you can swap barrels easily with pva prefit.

My vote is for the TRG. Best trigger I have ever felt (except maybe the Bix n Andy 2 stage), extremely accurate out of the box. The only downside is cost of magazines and accessories.
I will never sell mine.

Don’t know why you would take a tikka over a vector.

I think I actually agree with him. I have a lot of shooter connections in Utah, and haven't heard a single good thing about Curtis Customs through them. It's been an overwhelmingly negative response. For the price of that action, I wouldn't take a chance.

I think I actually agree with him. I have a lot of shooter connections in Utah, and haven't heard a single good thing about Curtis Customs through them. It's been an overwhelmingly negative response. For the price of that action, I wouldn't take a chance.
Interesting. I’ve been pleased with mine. Used it last prs season and once I tweaked the AW mags slightly it runs perfect. Haven’t had any problems. And the quick barrel change is definitely handy.

What bad things have you heard. Between you and @Forrest84 there is a lot of beating around the bush.

While I haven’t spent time running a Curtis vector. I have used several popular custom actions such as the Deviant, and tons of time with the M24/M2010. The TRG has consistently been a top performer right out of the box and although the accessories are expensive, they are very well thought out and durable. I have also come to love the fact that,the TRG is just about unstoppable in any conditions.

Reactions: Novak77
The TRG shoots as well as any custom I've handled, and likely better than most. For accessories, buy the bipod and a couple spare mags and call it a day. They are not expensive because they work. People complain about the bipod price, but an Atlas bipod, mounts, accessory feet, etc. cost as much as the TRG bipod and don't work as nicely in my experience. For a scope mount, buy a Spuhr direct TRG dovetail mount version if you can afford it, or a decent picatinny rail and rings.

I think the pre-2013 versions have a better target use trigger. The post 2013 trigger is also good and likely more robust if you like messing around with the pull weight. The post 2013 versions have a stronger bolt handle attachment and better recoil pad. Splitting hairs in my opinion, but I have a pre-2013 short action TRG22 and post-2013 TRG42 and they basically are the same in function and accuracy.

Later you can buy a KRG action wrench and turn it into a switch barrel. I swap .308 and .260 barrels on mine easily now. The first time you need to get the barrel off, just have a gunsmith do it with a proper strong barrel vise (the barrels on the TRG are on tight). After that, a bench top barrel vise and torque wrench to 100 ft./lbs. is all you need.

As for what you ordered, if you picked it it's because you must have liked it. Maybe shoot it some and see if the TRG urge passes. If not, you can find used TRGs routinely.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb41291 and jbell
6007A69B-C1AD-4CF3-A301-9FF2EB080E25.jpeg
DB2B8B0A-1BE1-48A6-A828-958D4A7DF5E2.jpeg

I posted this in another TRG thread last night but feel it may apply here too. In addition to the Accuracy International rifles I have recently owned and like I mentioned above I have owned many custom builds (mostly all have been APA or GAP and all have been on Surgeon 591's or a few on worked 700's). They all are truly very nice but for me how I shoot nothing competes with a TRG. I whish I had realized this many years ago as I could have bought a decent house with the $ I have spent on custom rifles and the top tier factory rifles like the AI and SSG3000's. But I also don't think I would have the appreciation for the TRG that I do now had I not had the opportunity to experience so many bad ass rifles. Here is what I posted last night in the other thread:

"I have been shooting AI’s the last several years (2 AWs & most recent an AT) they are truly top shelf! But I was missing my old TRG, so I recently traded my AT to a friend for his TRG. It’s a post 2013 where my last was a pre. I think the trigger was a bit lighter on my old one (I never adjusted it), but this is 100% a TRG in all its glory. Damn I love em!!"

I know not everyone's situation can permit them to own such a variety of rifles, which can lead to a lot of the information you find on the WWW. Basically a lot of narrow minded opinions (definitely not calling out anyone in particular, just speaking in general terms) based on very little to no information. Meaning they have only owned 1 or 2 rifles (or scopes, or insert popular subject of the day) in their life and most being low end factory rifles with 1 custom or something like that. That makes them believe "there can be nothing better than this, & custom is definitely the way to go because it is built by a top end gunsmith and I can choose what options I want, what stock I want for better ergonomics, etc." and to an extent that is true-ish. But from what I have found is I have had a higher % of problems or failures with custom built rifles and to this point almost no of failures from the top end factory rifles like the AI, SSG3000, or TRG. I know that they all have their share of issues, but if we were all to be honest I think most can agree on average factory rifles just work properly out of the box. As far as ergonomics a fully adjustable stock is a fully adjustable stock, you can make any of them fit you properly no matter what name is on it. There may be some features you like or dislike, but I hear so many people shitting on AI b/c the chassis "doesn't fit me", well ok maybe but have you actually attempted to properly adjust it? **just a common example I hear and laugh about**

Just a few of my $0.02...

Last edited:
I own my fair share of high end rifles and if I don't own them, I've had opportunities to shoot ones that are also well known high end guns. I agree with what @jbell has said about other peoples narrow exposure to rifles and coming up with opinions. My TRG 22 is THE benchmark for what a precision rifle should be. I have owned Remingtons and none of them have wowed me in any way. SSG69 is pretty nice as a historic piece (its development is interesting). SSG 3000 is nice, but for the price meh. Badger M2013 is nice, but the one I shot was exceptionally heavy. Steyr SSG04 is pretty nice as well but don't care for the safety selector. The only other rifle that sticks out as nice as the TRG 22 is the Blaser R93. The TRG 22 is HARD to beat especially for a factory built gun. It is well thought out as a gun as well as its accessories. It is by far my favorite rifle and I like it enough to try to duplicate it in a Tikka with KRG parts. That project is a close but still no cigar, but for the price I'd pick it over the Steyrs.

I own my fair share of high end rifles and if I don't own them, I've had opportunities to shoot ones that are also well known high end guns. I agree with what @jbell has said about other peoples narrow exposure to rifles and coming up with opinions. My TRG 22 is THE benchmark for what a precision rifle should be. I have owned Remingtons and none of them have wowed me in any way. SSG69 is pretty nice as a historic piece (its development is interesting). SSG 3000 is nice, but for the price meh. Badger M2013 is nice, but the one I shot was exceptionally heavy. Steyr SSG04 is pretty nice as well but don't care for the safety selector. The only other rifle that sticks out as nice as the TRG 22 is the Blaser R93. The TRG 22 is HARD to beat especially for a factory built gun. It is well thought out as a gun as well as its accessories. It is by far my favorite rifle and I like it enough to try to duplicate it in a Tikka with KRG parts. That project is a close but still no cigar, but for the price I'd pick it over the Steyrs.
I would like to get my hands on a TRG 22. If anyone is near the Houston area (I live southwest of Houston) that wouldn’t mind showing theirs off let me know.

Has anyone here used the trg for prs shooting? If so, how do you think the platform performed in this style of shooting?

Has anyone here used the trg for prs shooting? If so, how do you think the platform performed in this style of shooting?

I shot a club match and for myself, I thought it preformed great. The rifle was based on a positional target rifle(to my knowledge) and was very easy to build a solid position with.

The TRG is basically a ruggedized target rifle platform. The stock was designed for positional shooting and field positions. I have used mine for field matches and PRS style for years and it works great.

Prone with the TRG bipod is excellent. Also no problem using it with a Hog Saddle, although I wouldn't tighten the clamp down extremely tight as the stock material could crack under a lot of pressure I suspect. Mine gets tightened enough that it doesn't move and you can probably get an adaptor for the rail as well if you don't want to clamp directly.

Sling supported positions all work really well. I use mine with an armageddon style elastic sling for quick support or the loop if there is time. The foregrip is rounded and easy to hold. It was made to use with a sling. You can get your hand far forward without needing to grab onto cold metal or cheese grater picatinny/keymod.

Shooting off bags on barricades, etc. also is no problem. I'll use it with the elastic sling for added support and an overhand grip on the scope if needed.

The scope mounts relatively low if you stick with the Sako dovetail and suitable mount. This keeps the rifle well balanced and not top heavy.

It is not a heavy rifle by today's PRS standards though. The base rifle with factory barrel is about 10.5lbs. So put on another 3lbs. for scope and accessories. It's not hunting weight, but at the same time you won't need a trailer to haul it around like many contemporary choices you're seeing now. I run mine with a carbon fiber barrel in 260 and it took the bare rifle weight down to about 9 lbs. before accessories and scope.

KRG did an in-depth review of the specs of the TRG here:

http://kineticresearchgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/11/Analysis-of-the-SAKO-TRG.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: skatz11 and coltm4
TRG only.
I have fell in love in the TRG platform since a TRG-21 was released. Reliability, accuracy and unpretentiousness.

Attachments

• 901459EF-C33F-4C9E-8AF3-0FB967B9C03D.jpeg
    901459EF-C33F-4C9E-8AF3-0FB967B9C03D.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 117
  • CFF3DB09-F0B1-43B5-BFA9-ABE6EC476D1D.jpeg
    CFF3DB09-F0B1-43B5-BFA9-ABE6EC476D1D.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20A8E816-5C10-4BC2-8D0B-155D5CF7FB42.jpeg
    20A8E816-5C10-4BC2-8D0B-155D5CF7FB42.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
At this point with how long its been and the delays that seem to come up waiting for my pva build, i just wish i would of bought a trg.

You might also consider the KRG SOTIC. It is supposed to be as close to a TRG 22 as you can get with improvements.

Guess I will be in the one dissenting view in this TRG love fest...

There are indeed weaknesses in the TRG that shouldn't be over looked. Mainly the stock. First, the butt stock isn't held in place by a threaded screw. Instead it's held in place by friction. Yep, you read that correctly only friction. I've never had it fail, but a single 1" long by 1/2" piece of metal is all that holds the butt stock in place. It's far from an ideal solution. The fore end is better attached as it's held in place by 3 T-bolts riding in a slot on the metal backbone and a screw threaded through the fore arm into the backbone. These t-bolts are fine for off hand shooting, but if you attach a bi-pod directly to the fore end no t-bolt has a chance to withstand the force of a loaded bi-pod and recoil. Instead the full force of the beating is transferred to that single small screw threaded into the backbone. Again, not an ideal solution. Oh and don't forget the rail under the forearm isn't the popular Anschutz type... nor is it the other popular type Freeland... nope it's a UIT rail. There are very few UIT rail accessories available so most use Anschutz accessories which kinda work, but the spec difference is not ideal. Whatever coating they use on the stock is prone to chipping and pealing (older versions far worse than newer).

Beyond the stock, the complaints diminish though don't disappear. Fire checking on the bolt is fairly common, but will eventually self limit. You could have the bolt face ground flat again, but it will negatively impact head space. Swapping barrels is fairly easy with an action wrench, but there aren't any cheap pre-fits like you'll find available for others. Also understand TRG's are derived from and still are essentially still a UIT rifles. They simply don't handle dust and dirt as well as some others (AI & Bighorn for example). Also be careful when adjusting post '13 triggers. Adjusting the pull weight too far causes it to become really funky and the only way to fix it will be to send it back to Sako/Beretta.

Don't be fooled by all the negatives, I still own and immensely enjoy TRG's! The UIT heritage shows through pretty clearly in operation. The smooth and solid bolt throw exudes quality target rifle. Unlike the "sloppy smoothness" that seems to be current theme among current custom actions. The trigger is simply excellent. Nice and crisp with very little over travel. Personal preference puts it number 3 on my list only slightly behind the Anschutz 5018 and Trigger Tech Diamond, but well above AI. AI's although good have too much over travel for my taste. Some if not all of the fore end issues on the stock can be over come by directly attaching the bipod to the backbone. The TRG bipod is by all accounts an excellent bipod and attaches directly to the backbone. Though you can use any bipod your heart desires by attaching them to a spigot mount from KRG that bolts to the backbone. TRG mags are easily among the highest quality and most reliable available. No doubt they are expensive, but quality is never cheap. AT/AX mags are the only real rival in my opinion. Despite my complaints about construction choices the stock ergonomics are excellent. It's a stock that is very easy to get comfortable behind all day long.

Some personal notes. I preferred the blued vs phosphate finish. Not only does it look better in my opinion, but the bolt throw is smoother as well. The pre '13 vs post '13 trigger is over blown. I don't disagree the pre'13 is slightly better however you would never know there is a difference besides pull weight adjustments unless handled both side by side. Both are still excellent. The KMW hardware is a nice upgrade over the cheek piece spacers, but you loose horizontal adjustment. For what it's worth I actually like the TRG action better than all current customs, but the TRG stock isn't as sturdy or well built as current after market stock/chassis options.

Holy cow that got long winded...

Guess I will be in the one dissenting view in this TRG love fest...

There are indeed weaknesses in the TRG that shouldn't be over looked. Mainly the stock. First, the butt stock isn't held in place by a threaded screw. Instead it's held in place by friction. Yep, you read that correctly only friction. I've never had it fail, but a single 1" long by 1/2" piece of metal is all that holds the butt stock in place. It's far from an ideal solution. The fore end is better attached as it's held in place by 3 T-bolts riding in a slot on the metal backbone and a screw threaded through the fore arm into the backbone. These t-bolts are fine for off hand shooting, but if you attach a bi-pod directly to the fore end no t-bolt has a chance to withstand the force of a loaded bi-pod and recoil. Instead the full force of the beating is transferred to that single small screw threaded into the backbone. Again, not an ideal solution. Oh and don't forget the rail under the forearm isn't the popular Anschutz type... nor is it the other popular type Freeland... nope it's a UIT rail. There are very few UIT rail accessories available so most use Anschutz accessories which kinda work, but the spec difference is not ideal. Whatever coating they use on the stock is prone to chipping and pealing (older versions far worse than newer).

I agree the stock material is easily chipped and less than ideal, but to be fair I think it keeps from getting too cold in freezing conditions too. The bipod issue really isn't either because you should be using the TRG bipod anyway. I'm not sure the rear stock is that much of an issue unless you break it. Then my complaint is the ridiculous price Beretta wants for a replacement piece.

Beyond the stock, the complaints diminish though don't disappear. Fire checking on the bolt is fairly common, but will eventually self limit. You could have the bolt face ground flat again, but it will negatively impact head space. Swapping barrels is fairly easy with an action wrench, but there aren't any cheap pre-fits like you'll find available for others. Also understand TRG's are derived from and still are essentially still a UIT rifles. They simply don't handle dust and dirt as well as some others (AI & Bighorn for example). Also be careful when adjusting post '13 triggers. Adjusting the pull weight too far causes it to become really funky and the only way to fix it will be to send it back to Sako/Beretta.

Not sure what you mean by fire checking. Please elaborate.

Don't be fooled by all the negatives, I still own and immensely enjoy TRG's! The UIT heritage shows through pretty clearly in operation. The smooth and solid bolt throw exudes quality target rifle. Unlike the "sloppy smoothness" that seems to be current theme among current custom actions. The trigger is simply excellent. Nice and crisp with very little over travel. Personal preference puts it number 3 on my list only slightly behind the Anschutz 5018 and Trigger Tech Diamond, but well above AI. AI's although good have too much over travel for my taste. Some if not all of the fore end issues on the stock can be over come by directly attaching the bipod to the backbone. The TRG bipod is by all accounts an excellent bipod and attaches directly to the backbone. Though you can use any bipod your heart desires by attaching them to a spigot mount from KRG that bolts to the backbone. TRG mags are easily among the highest quality and most reliable available. No doubt they are expensive, but quality is never cheap. AT/AX mags are the only real rival in my opinion. Despite my complaints about construction choices the stock ergonomics are excellent. It's a stock that is very easy to get comfortable behind all day long.

Some personal notes. I preferred the blued vs phosphate finish. Not only does it look better in my opinion, but the bolt throw is smoother as well. The pre '13 vs post '13 trigger is over blown. I don't disagree the pre'13 is slightly better however you would never know there is a difference besides pull weight adjustments unless handled both side by side. Both are still excellent. The KMW hardware is a nice upgrade over the cheek piece spacers, but you loose horizontal adjustment. For what it's worth I actually like the TRG action better than all current customs, but the TRG stock isn't as sturdy or well built as current after market stock/chassis options.

Holy cow that got long winded...

I wish i could have both. A part of me says screw saving up, spend your deployment money. I wish a range around here had 1 so i could test the trg out

I agree the stock material is easily chipped and less than ideal, but to be fair I think it keeps from getting too cold in freezing conditions too. The bipod issue really isn't either because you should be using the TRG bipod anyway. I'm not sure the rear stock is that much of an issue unless you break it. Then my complaint is the ridiculous price Beretta wants for a replacement piece.

Not sure what you mean by fire checking. Please elaborate.

You're right none of the things I mentioned about the stock are issues until they break/fail. However, I believe for any potential buyer knowledge of such things is important so they can takes precautions to ensure such things don't become an issue. Just like buying a house on a swamp isn't ideal, but isn't necessarily an issue either. However, knowledge of the swamp allows the owner to take precautions against getting water in the basement or the worst case scenario mitigate the house from actually starting to sink.

Fire checking is another term for fire cutting. It's the process of fire actually cutting the surface of the metal. On the bolt face this happens where you get that colored ring around the outside of the primer pocket. It's self limiting because the fire actually work hardens the steel to the point it will longer be cut by the fire. Maybe, not the best explanation and pics are worth a thousand words so see attached fire cut TRG bolt face.

Boltfaceerosion_zps58474213.png

Reactions: Bravo6 and coltm4
You're right none of the things I mentioned about the stock are issues until they break/fail. However, I believe for any potential buyer knowledge of such things is important so they can takes precautions to ensure such things don't become an issue. Just like buying a house on a swamp isn't ideal, but isn't necessarily an issue either. However, knowledge of the swamp allows the owner to take precautions against getting water in the basement or the worst case scenario mitigate the house from actually starting to sink.

Fire checking is another term for fire cutting. It's the process of fire actually cutting the surface of the metal. On the bolt face this happens where you get that colored ring around the outside of the primer pocket. It's self limiting because the fire actually work hardens the steel to the point it will longer be cut by the fire. Maybe, not the best explanation and pics are worth a thousand words so see attached fire cut TRG bolt face.

Boltfaceerosion_zps58474213.png

I didn't think the cutting was a TRG issue. I always thought it was caused by loose primer pockets.

Reactions: XOR
I didn't think the cutting was a TRG issue. I always thought it was caused by loose primer pockets.

I have thousands of rounds through my TRG-22 and have never seen anything like that. Looks like hot loads letting gasses out around the primer and damaging the bolt face.

In fairness to the designers of the TRG, the stock was not made for an external bipod to be attached to the fore end. It was designed to use the spigot. I think the TRG bipod is great, but if I were to run a replacement I'd buy a spigot adaptor and not attach to the fore end.

Last edited:
The TRG shoots as well as any custom I've handled, and likely better than most. For accessories, buy the bipod and a couple spare mags and call it a day. They are not expensive because they work. People complain about the bipod price, but an Atlas bipod, mounts, accessory feet, etc. cost as much as the TRG bipod and don't work as nicely in my experience. For a scope mount, buy a Spuhr direct TRG dovetail mount version if you can afford it, or a decent picatinny rail and rings.

I think the pre-2013 versions have a better target use trigger. The post 2013 trigger is also good and likely more robust if you like messing around with the pull weight. The post 2013 versions have a stronger bolt handle attachment and better recoil pad. Splitting hairs in my opinion, but I have a pre-2013 short action TRG22 and post-2013 TRG42 and they basically are the same in function and accuracy.

Later you can buy a KRG action wrench and turn it into a switch barrel. I swap .308 and .260 barrels on mine easily now. The first time you need to get the barrel off, just have a gunsmith do it with a proper strong barrel vise (the barrels on the TRG are on tight). After that, a bench top barrel vise and torque wrench to 100 ft./lbs. is all you need.

As for what you ordered, if you picked it it's because you must have liked it. Maybe shoot it some and see if the TRG urge passes. If not, you can find used TRGs routinely.
Was looking at my old threads and saw this. Have been running the vector in my mpa chassis for comps, hunting, and target. The trg urge still haunts me.