• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

Well, after reading all the reviews and feedback on TRG's, I finally went to the local FFL to check them out. After handling the TRG 22 (20" barrel) the balance, the weight, cycling the bolt, and dry firing - WOW! I now have to start saving my pennies to add one to my collection!

I purchased an AIAE MkIII last fall and absolutely love it. But, the TRG will be an awesome addition to the family. There's always the debate which is better...so, I've decided to own both
grin.gif
. Hopefully, I'll have enough coin saved up sooner rather than later. But, good things come to those who wait (impatiently I might add).

AvsFan
cool.gif

Re: Sako TRG 22

I just picked up a TRG-22 and it is by far the finest rifle that I have shot or owned. The extras can be a bit pricey but they are well crafted but it is an outstanding rifle.

I too owned them both, i ended up keeping the ai but it was mostly because i couldn't afford to keep both and my trg folder cost a fair amount more. you for sure won't regret buying the trg i like it trigger better and mags/bipod.

Until I sold mine last Fall, it was not uncommon to get 1/4 MOA groups with FGMM 175grs. The rifles are insanely accurate, IMO. BIG, but very accurate.

I've got a TRG-42 on the way and I'm excited as well. After Shooting an AI recently I decided that I hated it's two stage trigger and the curvature of it as well. I'm hopeful that the TRG will be everything I hoped for, but only time will tell!

I bought a TRG42 last fall and now I have a TRG22 on the way. My other guns are both in AICS chassis and they are great but I just like the feel of the TRG system better. I'll probably be re-barreling the 22 to 6XC so I'll have a back up gun in comps. I'll take all of them to the range and see which one I shoot more consistently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a TRG-42 on the way and I'm excited as well. After Shooting an AI recently I decided that I hated it's two stage trigger and the curvature of it as well. I'm hopeful that the TRG will be everything I hoped for, but only time will tell! </div></div> I hope it wasn't the two stage part that you hated because the TRG is a 2 stage as well.

Trigger on my TRG 22 is top of the list - things I like about that rifle.
Yea, 2 stage, but it's so light that I resolved some flinching issues on
Anticipation. Mine has a sako bipod and that's built like a brick. I can preload
It a little better than my Harris. Ergonomics is a mute point, cause it's got it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of accuracy are you guys getting with match loads out of your TRG 22's </div></div>

As stated above, its not uncommon to get 1/4 MOA out of mine and if its more than 1/2 MOA Im beating my self up. This is with a 4000+ round count barrel, it just keeps getting better!

anyone using factory ammo like Federal GM Match? Is the 168 or 175 grain best for the TRG22?

It will rock them both very well. I roll my own and have used both with great results, hell every bullet I have shot except the Nosler CC 168 have been great.

Hey guy's!! I have owned many rifles but I have never been so exited about owning a gun as much as the TRG. I do have to say that thanks to this site S/H and all you guy's that are alway's eager to pass on your own experiences; at least for me was a big help with the final decision to buy my TRG. I haven't had it long and I'm still trying different factory loads, but so far I'm impressed and I know it will only get better. I too was wondering if anybody has tried the Fed GMM 168 and what were the results??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peterh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I too was wondering if anybody has tried the Fed GMM 168 and what were the results?? </div></div>

They shot around 1/2 MOA at 100 yards out of my 26" TRG-22. I only shot 5 as my buddy had them on had shooting them through his gun next to me and I wanted to see what the factory rounds did.

I reload and when using 168 SMKs over varget the gun flat out shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AvsFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gent's,

Well, after reading all the reviews and feedback on TRG's, I finally went to the local FFL to check them out. After handling the TRG 22 (20" barrel) the balance, the weight, cycling the bolt, and dry firing - WOW! I now have to start saving my pennies to add one to my collection!

I purchased an AIAE MkIII last fall and absolutely love it. But, the TRG will be an awesome addition to the family. There's always the debate which is better...so, I've decided to own both
grin.gif
. Hopefully, I'll have enough coin saved up sooner rather than later. But, good things come to those who wait (impatiently I might add).

AvsFan
cool.gif
</div></div>

that is the correct answer own bolth

With FGMM 168's about 0.5"-7.5" 3 shoot 100 yard groups.
With my hand loads with 168 Sierra 168'constantly around 0.375"

Flatland308, that's a hell of a group. What the farthest you shot with FGMM? also what optics are running on your gun?

I like my TRG 22 in 260. I'm a one good gun, and shoot it well kind of guy. I ended up with the TRG and if all goes well I can put lots of rounds through it this summer. Shot water bottles and paint cans out to 500 yards today. None of them survived
smile.gif

factory or hand loads? What are you using in the 260? I don't reload (don't have the time) and am getting one of the 260's soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">factory or hand loads? What are you using in the 260? I don't reload (don't have the time) and am getting one of the 260's soon. </div></div>

I've been shooting 142gr Sierra Match Kings with 44.0 Gr's of H4350. I shot 10 rounds today at 44.5gr's and no pressure signs at all. Tempted to gas em up a little more and see what it does.

I had my TRG out this afternoon. They are awesome rifles. Before buying the Sako, I was back and forth between the AI and TRG. Down the road I hope to add an Accuracy International as well. Here's my range report from today:
https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3259908#Post3259908

I typically get at or under .5 MOA from a bench. I only shot one 5 round 100 yard group today; it was about .6" including a called flier, four shots went into .3". I've shot many sub 1" groups at 305 yards, although most are around 1.5" at that distance. I shoot 175 SMK handloads.

I just picked up this rifle so I have yet to take it out past 300 yards but plan on pushing out soon. I can get a touch over 850 at the range I have access to so I wanna see what the rounds will do through this rifle. I am running a Vortex Razor HD and I love the scope it is outstanding!

I just took delivery of my Sako TRG-22 today with the 2nd generation folding stock from Euro Optic. Big thanks to Alex, Jason, and Keefer. I too was on the AIAW vs Sako debate and decided on the Sako. I still have a future debate to settle between the AIAX and DTASRS caliber-change platform but I think this Sako ends the .308 game for me.

The trigger is amazing, the receiver and barrel are cold hammer forged, the bipod is awesome (after the o-ring trick) and the dovetail mount with recoil lugs makes a perfect interface with Spuhr rings. This is my first bolt action rifle and I'm done. There is no upgrade path. All that's left is mounting glass and I can never blame equipment for bad results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cesiumsponge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just took delivery of my Sako TRG-22 today with the 2nd generation folding stock from Euro Optic. Big thanks to Alex, Jason, and Keefer. I too was on the AIAW vs Sako debate and decided on the Sako. I still have a future debate to settle between the AIAX and DTASRS caliber-change platform but I think this Sako ends the .308 game for me.

The trigger is amazing, the receiver and barrel are cold hammer forged, the bipod is awesome (after the o-ring trick) and the dovetail mount with recoil lugs makes a perfect interface with Spuhr rings. This is my first bolt action rifle and I'm done. There is no upgrade path. All that's left is mounting glass and I can never blame equipment for bad results.</div></div>

Man That sounds like a Fantastic Kit!!! What scope are you planning on running on that thing? Please post some pics once it's all put together. I LOVE SAKO TRGs, ESPECIALLY THE FOLDERS!!! They're probably the Sexiest Folders out there HANDS DOWN!

I'm going to be running a Hensoldt 4-16x56mm NH1 most likely unless S&B bumps up the delivery date of the 3-20x. I need to make a final decision and I'll be using EuroOptic again due to my great experience in purchasing the TRG. I love the monopod design on the rear. It's more stable than the typical spikes because of it's wide arcing footprint. I just need to figure out a nice bag or bag/mat that caters to folding precision rifles. This is just under 30" long folded, probably 32" once I get the SAS Arbiter Ti can on it with the TOMB muzzle brake affixed. It's small enough for an AR/M4 style bag but those usually have 235603 mag pouches and don't have features useful to precision rifles.

I'm also tempted to shoot some Sako green Duracoat (only company I've found that makes Sako green) onto the black folder bits except the cheek piece because it's a squishy substance. I got the green rifle...but I think I'll sleep on it a while before I start screwing with things.