• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sako trg 22

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
can any one tell me about this rifle from what i have read it seems more like a compition rifle then a "tactical" rifle

Re: sako trg 22

The best money spent in an off the shelf rifle. On 2 occasions one has been the top 308 at the open ASC.

Not to get flamed by the AI guys, they are also a kick A$$ stick , but as most of us will not deploy with this, all the extra ruggedness you pay for may not be needed.The accuracy difference in the 2 lies within the shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can any one tell me about this rifle from what i have read it seems more like a compition rifle then a "tactical" rifle </div></div>

The TRG is every bit of an issued, purpose built rifle. It is the issued military sniper rifle in many countries. I would put it right with the AI as far as accuracy and durability. The accessories are over the top in price but the rifle SHOOTS.

thanks for the heads up, i dont have one and have no plans at this time to buy one, i held one a few weeks ago, and since then have got a serious intrest in the rifle, i did build an msg-90 a2 style rifle and am tweeking it for long range precision shooting, i put into the msg90 the price of a sako trg 22 so in some ways i regret and in some ways i dont only time will tell which decision was the best

We run the TRG22 as our operational rifle. Several factors led us to it over many others. Cost, for LE we paid 1900.00 each, stripped. We added Harris bipods, Warne 20 moa bases, a factory muzzle brake, and factory NVG mount. The rifles are on par as far as accuracy is concerned with the AI series. The biggest plus is the weight, Stripped the TRG is just a tad over 10lbs, the AI comes just over 14lbs. The TRG has a trigger that is user adjustable with a supplied allen wrench, and you can get them scary light. The AI guns are great off a bench or bag, but they are a pig to shoot in other positions.

The TRG does have some drawbacks. First, the factory accessories are out of this world expensive, and sometimes take some time to get. Secondly, the safety is in the triggerguard, and that makes some guys nervous. However it's opposite of the trigger pull, push forward to disengage. The barrels are way to long, 26 inches then add the brake and the balance is way off. We cut all of ours to 22 inches, then put the brake back on. You don't want to shoot it without the brake because it kicks like a 300 win mag. With the brake it's almost pleasant to shoot.

All in all the guns are top of the line. I would buy one for myself in a minute.

i shoot a 26" barrel on my msg90 clone, the factory gun is a 24" do you notice an accuracy diffrance when you cut the barrel down ?

i would love to own one of these but i stuck with a semi auto i do love the heads up the gun looks so intresting

msg90 builds get pretty pricy to shoot when you cannot reload the brass.

Having also been bit by the HK roller locking guns in 02, I spent big bucks on the msg90/psg1 clones, when I saw how they murdered the brass,took a roll of paper towels to clean, and were not getting the accuracy i wanted, I sold them all and got my TRG 22.

The Msg90s still are a sexy looking rifle, but beyone looks, thats about it... Kinda like a hot stripper.
smile.gif

Reactions: BlackRifle

I have a TRG 22, I have owned tactical rifles from many high end builders in many diff configurations, none dissapoint, but none compaired to the TRG. First off all the top builders can get the accuracy where it should be, second all can get the weight and duriability where you want it. The thing that sets the TRG apart from the rest for me is the fit of the rifle. It has as many adjustments as a high end 3 position air rifle or a small bore rifle. The ergonomics are awsome, the stock will fit you after some adjusting better than anything else. The triggers on these rifles are second to none both in fit (due to the many adjustments of the shoe position) and in feel. If you have shot one and spent some time in position behind it you know what I mean, if not go find one to try. Then you will know!

My duty gun is a TRG .308. IMHO, RKGSmith and JBELL are right on with their assessment. I considered AI and they were very impressive. But the Sako won the day. I ended up with a TRG folder at LE price which is a very good deal. AI would have been a bit more, but I am sure had I gone that route, I would have been just as happy.

When I was evaluating, I looked at a number of custom builders as well as the costs of upgrading M700 or M70. The Sako was more cost effective because of it's out of the box capability and configuration. It can take a lot of tuning to get some rifles to shoot like the TRG.

Ergonomics on the Sako are amazing. I have no problem with the barrel length, but it can be unwieldy and adding the brake just made it longer. But I am used to it now and don't mind the length. Personally, I love the safety as it requires no hand movement, but it takes some getting used to. It's excellent w. gloves in the cold North. I use Farrell base and rings w 20 MOA down, LeupIV 8 x 25 (and considering moving to a USO). Harris w. adapter. I am working on a grant to get us NV, so will add a factory front rail when I get that worked out.

Accuracy can't be believed until you start shooting it. It loves 168's which at LE ranges are outstanding. BH Match is my usual load.

One thing that I don't have licked yet is a good sling mounting. I currently use a leather HK sling and it's ok, but a bit kludgy. Since I rarely sling the rifle, it's not been a priority. And the rear monopod isn't much use, but the new one looks better. I prefer a bag anyway.

The TRG's are among the best out there. Noone will be unhappy shooting one.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I think cutting the barrel did nothing to the accuracy, and may have helped it a little. We cut part of the center section of the NVG mount to use a 2.5" sunshade. As far as the sling, I use the push button stud mount in the butt, and a clamp on mount attached to the NVG rail up front. For right out of the box the guns are nothing short of amazing. Last year at the FN/Leupold sniper comp one of my guys went 9 out of 10 on Larue's from 200 to 875 yards with 175 SMK's.

With the folder, I don't have the same rear sling mount. Front mount is the same, though. I'll work something out.

I've shot my TRG out to 800 down at Blackwater, which is really pushing the limits with 168's. But accuracy is uncanny. With the brake, the recoil is so negligible (and the rifle is so stable) that at the longer ranges you can watch your own trace.

I was just at a class with Doc Mullins from US Optics and he is a fan of heavier bullets, so I may try some 175's or 180's with AMAX or bonded tips to see how they group. But I can't change duty ammo easily.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a TRG 22 and its shoots better than the couple of custom built bolt guns that I paid much more for. I had the 26" barrel cut down to 20" and put a Near brake. It was just as accurate. Out yesterday with the chrono, I was averaging 2707 fps with Federal 168 gr Gold Medal Match. The trigger is outstanding and the stock fits like a glove. I have shot alot of rifles over the yrs including AI AW'S etc as well as my custom 308's with the A-5 stock. I thought the A-5 was the most comfortable stock for me until I got the Sako.

You can now get the TRG-22 with a 20" barrel and the FIXED stock. You no longer have to get the folder to have that option. I have the 26" but it will be headed to a date with a gunsmith shortly to lose some length.

Josh

I shoot the TRG in 1K competitions at Camp Butner. The rifle is stock except the bipod and the limb saver recoil pad. I use the Harris S type 6-9. The factory bipod is useless in those matches. For FT/R you can't use a muzzle brake so there is a slight shove. The rail is a Near 20m base with IOR rings and a Nightforce 42x. I've beaten F-open shooters which proves to me the rifle can compete against any custom gun out there.

Rooster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up with two TRG's as well... </div></div>

Me too!

I loaned my TRG-22 to a friend to try F-Class. He outscored my GAP in one match, but I had more wind, cough-cough.

AG