• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sako TRG 300 win mag

Re: Sako TRG 300 win mag

Savage 110 BA is not match grade either :)They just charge you more $ for the rails that u wont use. I got lucky with my 5R...01 ragged hole @ 100 yrds. I think reload with good headspace will make big different.

I was confused about that also (nice scope for $1K). I do have a couple USOs but for rifles those i dont shoot often...i need cheaper scopes. I bought a couple used (not even have a ring mark)leupold Mark4 6.5-20x50 for $850 each. One even came with rings
smile.gif
. Later, i found one had little dust inside. I sent it back to Leupold, they cleaned, 100% checked for free! Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10shotmiss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage 110 BA is not match grade either. They just charge you more $ for the plastic add on </div></div>

Correct. They're still capable of good accuracy out of the box but custom built or high end factory are on another level.

I think Savage vs Remington = Chevy vs Ford...just depends on people tastes. I have stocks for 700 so i just stay with them...swapping around. I wish they have FN SPR in 300wm.:(

Hear me out......

I have been looking for one for MONTHS. It is true they no longer import them. The last ones Euro Optics sold went cheap. I have wtb ads up. I came up with two.

One was on Long Range Hunting a guy contacted me, he wanted 4200 for a NIB stealth.

The other one I found on Craigslist of all places. It was a smoking deal and its currently in transit.

You will have a very hard time finding one. But I believe they are worth the wait!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10shotmiss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Savage vs Remington = Chevy vs Ford...just depends on people tastes. I have stocks for 700 so i just stay with them...swapping around. I wish they have FN SPR in 300wm.:( </div></div>

But Sako vs Savage isn't Chevy vs Ford. It's more like Chevy vs Porsche. Chevy is still a good car but the Porsche is the total package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scsbronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this guy has one for sale

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=486211 </div></div>

That ad is over a year old..</div></div>

I just did a quick search on riverofguns.com and thought I would pass it along

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10shotmiss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hope u compare Sako = Porsche and Savage = Chevy.
smile.gif
</div></div>

roger that

Just sent Leupold a message about MIL discounts. See what i get back from them...Thx

Alright guys no need for hostility just looking for good sound advice on a build. I am going to use the rifle for 600-1000yd target shooting primarily and will take it Hog hunting in Florida and Texas as well. I like to hog hunt LR...haha! I want a rock solid rifle that will outlast me and that is reliable as well as functional. Could I go buy a 700 40x and do this probably, but when I buy a rifle I get the best quality I can find so i only have to buy it ONCE!
Strike33... Yes I am in Jacksonville but currently deployed to PACFLEET till early December. Doubt ill make it but thanks for the offer man!
The best quote I've gotten was from Phoenix and they said they could build it for me for $3500 w/o optics of course. I really like Zeiss optics but I was told that the Z1000 reticle wont match up w 300wm ballistics, So i might go with the Vortex PST instead, good price and heard good things about it!
Thanks Guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scsbronco said:
Adam B said:
]

I just did a quick search on riverofguns.com and thought I would pass it along

</div></div>
I just sent RWS an e-mail for a quote thanks for the help!!

I was in the same boat 90 days ago; I could not find a TRG-42 in 300 WM. I purchased a Rem 5R 300WM for a build, a week later a TRG-42 300WM showed up on Gun Broker, I got it for $2,600.00 with a round count of 72; I have seen others for sale since then for around the same price. I will turn around and sell the 5R at some point. I had the TRG retreaded for my TBA suppressor other than that it is all set and ready to go as it comes. I have gone down the custom rifle road and the rate of return is normally not the same as with A1, AW and TRG. Custom will custom will cost you more, the time it will take you to get the gun built a TRG will show up for sale for a lot less money.

alexander66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadUSN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright guys no need for hostility just looking for good sound advice on a build. I am going to use the rifle for 600-1000yd target shooting primarily and will take it Hog hunting in Florida and Texas as well. I like to hog hunt LR...haha! I want a rock solid rifle that will outlast me and that is reliable as well as functional. Could I go buy a 700 40x and do this probably, but when I buy a rifle I get the best quality I can find so i only have to buy it ONCE!
Strike33... Yes I am in Jacksonville but currently deployed to PACFLEET till early December. Doubt ill make it but thanks for the offer man!
The best quote I've gotten was from Phoenix and they said they could build it for me for $3500 w/o optics of course. I really like Zeiss optics but I was told that the Z1000 reticle wont match up w 300wm ballistics, So i might go with the Vortex PST instead, good price and heard good things about it!
Thanks Guys </div></div>

Alright now we've established a good baseline. As far as target shooting, a TRG(or just about anything) would serve you just fine. For hunting, it's gonna depend if you're gonna hump it or not. TRGs aren't lightweights but that's your preference. If you want to hunt LR hogs, a long action will be the most humane, magnum or otherwise.

For optics, you're correct in that the Z1000 probably won't match the flat trajectory of the WM and the 1" tubes offer less internal adjustment than the 30+mm. A magnum trajectory will mitigate some of the need but I like the peace of mind. There are a lot of good 30mm options for Zeiss money including the PST, Bushnell Elite Tactical, used Mk4s to name a few. They'll add some weight but you won't risk running out of adjustment on that prize hog.

Where are you as far as SAWC?

Thanks and you are right about the weight, I plan to get that Blackhawk backpack it should make it easier to carry around until I get setup. Very true about the need for adjustment and the PST looks like exactly what im looking for, but I've never actually looked down one. What the clarity like compared to the Zeiss?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadUSN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks and you are right about the weight, I plan to get that Blackhawk backpack it should make it easier to carry around until I get setup. Very true about the need for adjustment and the PST looks like exactly what im looking for, but I've never actually looked down one. What the clarity like compared to the Zeiss? </div></div>

I had one for a short time and while I've never looked through a Zeiss, I have an older Mk4 and an SS5-20 and never felt at a disadvantage with the PST. Really nice reticle, well thought out and well put together plus zero stop and matching turrets; the illumination had a little too much washout but it was rarely used anyways. I only sold it to help button up another project. Only downside seems to be finding em in stock.

And FWIW, Vortex warranties and service are some of the best in the biz if that matters to you.

Alright I think I have all my ducks in a row now. I've been in contact with Keith Johns at Phoenix and we should get the ball rollin next month! Excited...
Specs:

*Defiance Rebel Long action ( hybrid port, heavy tang, threaded bolt knob to accept a Phoenix bolt knob, cone bolt nose, shallow fluting) with extended tenon
*Rock Creek barrel 26" AMU/MTU contour, 5 groove, 300 win mag tac match
*Precision Armament M11 brake
*Manners T-4A mini chassis stock in molded woodland camo color,glass bedded, with Terry Cross comb adjustment hardware,
*Jewell Trigger set to 2lbs
*Barreled action in OD green Cerakote
Can you even glass bed a stock that has full aluminum block??

Thx guys

They can skim bed the chassis to the stock. Most think its not necessary, but if you dont plan on swapping the stock to another action then go ahead.
Sounds like a a great build. The overall thoughts are that the 26" barrel is a bit long but you shouldn't have a problem, just going to be a bit of work lugging itm around.
Best of luck. Phoenix is great and their customer service is top notch.
Did you decide on the glass yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadUSN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
*Defiance Rebel Long action ( hybrid port, heavy tang, threaded bolt knob to accept a Phoenix bolt knob, cone bolt nose, shallow fluting) with extended tenon
*Rock Creek barrel 26" AMU/MTU contour, 5 groove, 300 win mag tac match
*Precision Armament M11 brake
*Manners T-4A mini chassis stock in molded woodland camo color,glass bedded, with Terry Cross comb adjustment hardware,
*Jewell Trigger set to 2lbs
*Barreled action in OD green Cerakote
Can you even glass bed a stock that has full aluminum block??

Thx guys </div></div>

Very nice but that sounds like a heavy build to carry around. If you went with a M40 contour and fluting you'd probably cut 1-2 lbs. of the front end. I'd also consider Manners new folding stocks because thats going to be very long as well. Just my 2 cents.

As for glass... I have e-mailed SWFA about getting a milit doscount on their 5x20x50 HD scope. If i can get it for $1k then ill get it, if not im going with the Vortex PST. Turns out that the Manners mini chassis will not fit a defiance action, so I will go with the Badger M5 instead. Then I can have it glass bedded!

No issues there. I'm not sure how you feel about the Large magazine release lever of the Badger. If its something that you don't like, look at the APA, BAD-DM or the Defiance bottom metal.
The Badger is great, but if you're going to be slinging and carrying the rifel around you may not want something that protrudes so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're talking 3,000 for the rifle only without glass, there are plenty of options out there from some of the custom shops. A Badger M2008 with a quality barrel built by any one of the sponsors here would be the a great way to go as well.
<span style="font-weight: bold">my best advice would be not to settle.</span>
Define your specs and what you want and the plan around that. <span style="font-weight: bold">If you compromise you will only regret it in the end.</span>
I also would recommend the Rem 5r over the Savage
Best of luck </div></div>

This (emphasis added). If your budget is $3K, choose a quality stock, barrel, and action.

Re: Sako TRG 300 win mag(.300 Norma mag)

Take a close look at .300 Norma mag. Their transition phase ballistics are WAAAY beyond 1,000 meters.

Plus the sharp angled ahoulder appears to give almost any caliber better accuracy through more consistent powder burn.

I think I "read in a Magazine", that the Tikka uses the same barrel, as the TRG. Maybe I' off, on that memory, or the info was off, but worth a look?