• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sako TRG 300 win mag

shooter65

General
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2004
    Indiana
    Who has one in a 300 win mag and can provide me all the pros and cons of it?

How is the accuracy?

What brake is the most effective in reducing recoil?

Re: Sako TRG 300 win mag

haven't shot it more than about 70 rounds, but i can give you what i think.

the biggest problem, IF you have to, is when the cheek rest is adjust upward past a certain point, the bolt can't be removed unless the rest is removed. at the same time, the cleaning rod lines up close to the top of the butt stock already, so when cleaning it, i put something between the stock and the rod.

remedy, keep the scope mounted as low as possible.

the only "problem" i've ever had was trying to find the adjustment screw underneath the rubber butt, but once set never have to re-adjust.

as for the break, i never shoot with it. just not necessary. everyone thus far says it shoots like a .309 with a bull barrel.

acccuracy wise, (my loads are being fine tuned for seating depth right now, then im done) i'm obtaining at or less than 0.5" at 100 yards in 3 shot groups. best is about 0.3". this is however on a FOLD OUT table, which is a bit wobbly.

my favorist thing about this gun is hands down the trigger. words can't describe how great that thing is.

the pistol like grip and foreend of the stock has a really nice feel too. and ofcourse the insane amount of adjustments is very nive to, but was a bit overwhelming at first.

the overal length is pretty long too, but it is counteracted by the balance of the gun. may sound stupid, but it just feels good, easy to manipulate no matter where you pick up the stock.

hope this isn't too rambled

I have a TRG 42 .300 Win Mag and I use a break the Sako break. It has less recoil than a .308 with the break on it. This allows you to see your shots, which is nice. It is 1/2 MOA or better, the better is when I do better. I like this rifle so much that when Seporith put his TRG 22 up for sale here @ the Hide I jumped on it. The TRG is a great platform and I recommend that you go get one.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Jamie

I have one and I love it! Its comfortable, easy to shoot, and when I do my part it puts them in tiny knotholes. It seems to like OALs on the longer side. My .208 Amax load is right at 3.6". The good thing is that the mag is plenty long for it. As far as breaks go I recommend the Elite Iron Max break. The recoil reduction it amazing. On most days I can spot my own trace past 400.

-John

I own a 42 in .338 and absolutely love it. The rifle is more accurate than I am and the fit is superb. The trigger is extremely user friendly and is one of the finest I have felt. I personally have all Sako factory accessories and have been pleased with them thus far. With the break the rifle recoils, in my opinion like a light .308, hope this helps.
    Ben

The TRG42 cal.300WM is a superb rifle and it's really accurate, when I do my part I can shot 1/2 MOA groups with the 210 gr Sierra MK and 1/4 MOA with the Lapua Scenar 185 gr out of 300 mt (328 yards)

This is a 12 rounds group done by a friend last year in the "Long Range Shooting Days" near Rome, the target was 900 mt far, by the way, he wins the competition eh eh eh

th_rosataPaoloa900metri.jpg

I had one in 338 lapua and it is a great platform. The downside is the 300 win is just marginally better than the 308(according to some reports I have read) and it has a lot faster barrel wear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crawdad1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one in 338 lapua and it is a great platform. The downside is the 300 win is just marginally better than the 308(according to some reports I have read) and it has a lot faster barrel wear.</div></div>

Dude, how did you reload the .338? If so, to what price per round can you get when reloading, I would like a .338 LP but burning a 5 dollar bill with every shot would give me a heart attack...

BTW, the .300 WM is ballistically allot stronger than the .308, only right, it burns the barrel quicker. BUT: Sako TRGs feature some kind of barrel steel (forgot the name) that extends the barrel life to about that of a .308. This has been cofirmed.

The brass for 338 is a one time cost, decreasing with each loading. In the end, you can load a round of 338 for about a dollar. 5 bucks is the overpriced factory stuff which I will never buy.