• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sako TRG 42 bipod choices

Trg42 .338

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2014
So I picked up a TRG 42 in 338 for a killer deal, and am torn between throwing the factory bipod that sako sells or going with the atlas adapter and throwing and atlas on there.

Any thoughts? Or other recommendations?

I have 3 atlas bipods; I like them very much, but they do have some limitations. However, for the sako, I believe that the sako bipod is the best thing going. The rifle centers itself upon its own weight

KRG spigot and whatever bipod you'd like up front would be my suggestion. It gives you option for Harris or atlas as well as a good place for flush cup front sling.

Awesome, still a little torn but good info, I have heard a lot that the rifle centers itself on the sako bipod. I do load by bipod and don't know if the sako can be loaded well. The atlas and Harris I have used on a few of my axi rifles and really have liked them, so I suppose the question is, does the sako bipod hanging type mount add to stability over the atlas or the like.

Last edited:
Another thing to note I do like the krg mount, at 118 bucks not to bad, then the atlas will be about 200-250 so I am up at the cost for the factory sako.

I can only answer between Harris and SAKO Factory Bipod. The SAKO Bipod Loads itself VERY WELL not so much on the Harris. This is due to the slight give of the SAKO Bipod and it's Factory Claw Style Feet which Digs into just about any surface you mount it on. If you get lucky can even find the Gen 1 SAKO Bipod it'll be Even Better as it sets the rifle Lower than the Gen 2 due to Wider Spreading Legs. This is one of those Rare Instances where the Original is Better than the Updated Version.

The factory Harris Bipod Feet are just about useless on any hard and smooth surfaces. No traction at all lay along trying to load it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man! Cost wise is the gen one the same as gen 2 ? Or do they want a premium for it being rare? Any indications on the part number it's a gen1?

Thanks for the info man! Cost wise is the gen one the same as gen 2 ? Or do they want a premium for it being rare? Any indications on the part number it's a gen1?

Honestly I haven't seen a Gen 1 for sell in a long time. My TRG22 Tan came with the Gen 2. Cost wise anything TRG related holds value well (EXPENSIVE). The bipods are built like tanks and would last a life time. I would say the cost will be about the same between both Gens. Good luck finding one though. If alls fails I recommend ATLAS V8 over the Harris for all the Added Features. You can get a ADM or Larue QD mount for it and share it between all your rifles to justify the additional cost.

Okay good to know I am going to dig a while and try to find a gen 1. I really appreciate your input on this. I think I am going with a TRG just due to the fact it sounds like the most solid and reliable choice for the rifle.

Sure I have the Near rail but for a bi-pod I like the Sako especially over the Harris which I have on my Sig 3000. The Sako bi-pod is so well made and will last forever though very expensive. I do not know about the Altas

in the field use Parker-Hale bipod, on the bench or shooting prone on the range I use Harris 6-9"

I chose the KRG bipod spigot, easy to install and sets the bipod close to the barrel and further forward for added stability. Great product

P9050643_zpse9182e94.jpg

Im in two minds about keeping my Sako bipod. I find the atlas i have on my T3 TAC very easy to use and doesnt flop around. I am thinking about going to a KRG/atlas setup but keep changing my mind. The sako i have to mod a little to work on concrete benches and to stop it falling left to right when deployed. It does work well though.

So I picked up a TRG 42 in 338 for a killer deal, and am torn between throwing the factory bipod that sako sells or going with the atlas adapter and throwing and atlas on there.

Any thoughts? Or other recommendations?

Hi, this is a bit old but here are my .2 cents
Got TRG 22 (308) and 42 (338), no experience with Atlas on TRG, so no comments on it. Shot with Atlas on other rifles and liked it, loads well.
On TRG 22, Sako bipod works well, so does the Harris; for TRG 42, Sako bipod works well.
Good luck and good shooting.