• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO TRG-42 factory trigger replacement

gol1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
ISRAEL
I have a Sako TRG-42 338LM manufactured in 2007, I made the mistake of over adjusting the trigger pull, and now some times the trigger does not set after I turn the bolt, from reading here in the forums it is not possible to fix it myself.
I have an option to buy a new production trigger .
I wanted to know if its possible to replace the trigger in the older Sako to the new model trigger
Thanks

Call Berretta and double check, great customer service phone line. I had talked to them about older bolt and trigger TRG42 recently and it sounds like trigger is a exact swap out, for the bolt ( double plunger they would need the rifle and could do it costing est $400 +/- $100.

Call them to double check, you might send in your old trigger and they may fix it. Only difference it seems from new and old trigger is they made the new trigger less adjustable so it can’t be adjusted to an unsafe level where the safety may not work, allowing it to fire if jared,

They said that the pre-2013 trigger is safe and more adjustable when done right than the post-2013 triggers. As for the double plunger on th bolt, there only seemed to be a rare issue with the 338LMs. Maybe folks were loading a little hot? They told me to shoot mine and if I had no issues then here was no reason to be concerned about adding double plungers to pre-2013 338LM bolt.

Last edited:
The newer '13 TRG trigger is a complete redesign in the details of the way it functions. Also, as noted, the adjustments were curtailed. I don't find it to be as nice to use but it does have a nicer selector button.

Sako/Beretta was fixing the old triggers so they should be able to take care of you.

If you are handy with tools and have a set of punches, a hammer, and some metric hex wrenches, you can take the trigger apart and fix it. It's not that complicated but of course Sako/Beretta probably wouldn't be excited about you digging in there.

We do have a trigger coming for the TRG (and T3) as a last resort but really hopefully they can take care of you.
Justin

Reactions: stefan73
I had an issue with my pre '13 trigger and contacted them about it. They had me send the whole rifle in and they replaced the trigger module to their new trigger module free of charge. The new module is far superior except the adjustability is not as light as I would like. It's still a fantastic trigger, it just forces me to concentrate on my trigger technique more which is not necessarily bad on a 338LM.

You can run the old or new trigger in the TRG. I have both. The older trigger is better for target use as I find it more precise. The newer trigger is probably more robust because they removed a lot of adjustments that people got into trouble with.

Your trigger may in fact be fine if you have not forced it a lot. The way to mess up the old trigger is to make them too light and to not adjust the first and second stage together. As you've seen it's best to leave these triggers alone unless you have some very specific reason to adjust them. Just assume Sako knows what they are doing and don't touch anything.

As it were, there was a post here a while ago but it's broken now. It was written by someone that I suspect worked at Sako and he gave very detailed instructions on how to properly adjust the older Sako TRG trigger. If you follow the instructions exactly you can likely get it working again assuming the internals were not damaged by forcing anything:

Old link (broken):

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=16234&p=237465&viewfull=1#post237465

Original text I saved:

Sako TRG Proper adjustment procedures

1. Check that the weapon is free from cartridges and remove the bolt

2. Remove trigger unit as described in the user manual and clean it thoroughly.

3. Pull the safety on and adjust first stage pull weight against the safety to approx. 0.5-0.6 kg (small hex screw behind the trigger). Use loktite (222, 243 etc.)to prevent accidental loosening of the screw. When you have the safety pulled on you can feel the actual first stage movement of the trigger before it comes in contact with the connector inside the trigger unit.

4. Assemble the trigger unit to the weapon. Never have the bolt in the weapon when assembling and tightening the trigger unit in place. If you have it in place it will immediately cause damage to the trigger unit when sear is forced down against the connector by the cocking piece of the firing pin and cocking surfaces/ corners on the sear and connector will break/crack.

5. Adjust the final pull weight to minimum of 1.0kg (hex screw in front of the trigger). Use loktite on the screw.

Always have sufficient gap in between first and second stage pull, first stage should be approx. half of the final pull weight (0.5/1.0kg, 0.6/1.2kg etc.). If the two weights are set too close the cocking corners will get rounded and the weapon will not stay properly cocked causing hard and long single stage pull like you described.

6. After adjusting the pull weight check the functioning of the safety. Cock the rifle and pull safety on ->bolt handle will not come up and trigger will only move the first stage travel.

Push the safety off and dry fire the rifle. Try pulling the safety on -> safety should bounce back to the front position and not stay on. If the safety engages when rifle is not cocked the safety lever inside the trigger unit is worn or too loose and should be re-tightened properly. Have trained gunsmith do this!

Do not over lubricate the internal parts of the trigger unit; small amount of very thin synthetic oil or dry lube will do the trick.

Two of the most common mistakes causing problems:

Improper adjustment of the first and second stage pull set too close to each other will wear the internal parts.

Assembling of the trigger unit to the rifle with the bolt in place will immediately break the internal parts.

Hope this helps and you'll get the trigger operational again?

If you're not able to adjust the trigger properly have the cocking corners in the trigger unit checked, they may be damaged already and the pull weight will not adjust properly...

When you set the final pull weight to 2lbs you have to adjust the first stage also to 1lb. I they are too close it will wear out and will become that 15-22lbs again.

You shouldn't go below that 1kg on the second stage or the thing you just described will definately happen. OK for some time but after a while will get very heavy.

I've seen some triggers adjusted to less than 1lb but this will require replacement of some internal springs and lots of fine tuning and polishing. NOT recommended unless you're a gunsmith and know exactly what you're doing.

I'd stick with that 1.0kg and over. All of the guns (TRGs)I usually shoot a pretty much set to 1.5kg. Not too light and not too heavy...and remember; If you play with second stage weight always do the same thing with the first stage!

Do any of you guys know if you can adjust the gen 2 triggers lighter than the screws allow. I've got my second stage maxed out and wish I could lighten it about 8 to 10 oz. Not sure if there are any gunsmith that could tweak it a bit.

The rifles are designed for field use and are not target guns. An 8-10oz break is likely well below the design threshold and is not safe for field use. I'd just leave it alone. The trigger groups are something like $400+ dollars to replace if you break them.

This might sound crazy but the Tikka T3 fits the TRG trigger perfectly.

You could always pick one up and swap it out with the TRG trigger.

The trigger guard on the TRG is attached to the trigger itself, then the mag catch is attached to the trigger guard. A T3 trigger will technically work but you would have no trigger guard and no way to insert the mag. On the flip side if you pull off the guard from the TRG trigger, you can get it to work on a T3 with some minor effort.
Justin

thanks for all the responses, I live in Israel and we don’t have any service center or support from Beretta/Sako here.
I got the new trigger and installed it in my rifle.
looks like it works well, there is a difference in the trigger attachment screw location in the new trigger but it seems to work fine.
if i would have known earlier that I can try and fix the problem myself I would have done that, but it doesn't matter now.
the trigger is not as light as the old one vut it’s very good.
thanks again for all the info!

I have a Sako TRG-42 338LM manufactured in 2007, I made the mistake of over adjusting the trigger pull, and now some times the trigger does not set after I turn the bolt, from reading here in the forums it is not possible to fix it myself.
I have an option to buy a new production trigger .
I wanted to know if its possible to replace the trigger in the older Sako to the new model trigger
Thanks

Did you make the mistake making the trigger pull lighter or heavier?

I have a TRG-42 but with the older model trigger. Im afraid of lightening the trigger adjustment too much and having the same thing happen to me. Also is the trigger weight adjustment stiff? Tnx, Ray

Did you make the mistake making the trigger pull lighter or heavier?

I have a TRG-42 but with the older model trigger. Im afraid of lightening the trigger adjustment too much and having the same thing happen to me. Also is the trigger weight adjustment stiff? Tnx, Ray

I believe it’s when adjusted too light. I have one that can be temperamental after being too light.

You can run the old or new trigger in the TRG. I have both. The older trigger is better for target use as I find it more precise. The newer trigger is probably more robust because they removed a lot of adjustments that people got into trouble with.

Your trigger may in fact be fine if you have not forced it a lot. The way to mess up the old trigger is to make them too light and to not adjust the first and second stage together. As you've seen it's best to leave these triggers alone unless you have some very specific reason to adjust them. Just assume Sako knows what they are doing and don't touch anything.

As it were, there was a post here a while ago but it's broken now. It was written by someone that I suspect worked at Sako and he gave very detailed instructions on how to properly adjust the older Sako TRG trigger. If you follow the instructions exactly you can likely get it working again assuming the internals were not damaged by forcing anything:

Old link (broken):

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=16234&p=237465&viewfull=1#post237465

Original text I saved:

Sako TRG Proper adjustment procedures

1. Check that the weapon is free from cartridges and remove the bolt

2. Remove trigger unit as described in the user manual and clean it thoroughly.

3. Pull the safety on and adjust first stage pull weight against the safety to approx. 0.5-0.6 kg (small hex screw behind the trigger). Use loktite (222, 243 etc.)to prevent accidental loosening of the screw. When you have the safety pulled on you can feel the actual first stage movement of the trigger before it comes in contact with the connector inside the trigger unit.

4. Assemble the trigger unit to the weapon. Never have the bolt in the weapon when assembling and tightening the trigger unit in place. If you have it in place it will immediately cause damage to the trigger unit when sear is forced down against the connector by the cocking piece of the firing pin and cocking surfaces/ corners on the sear and connector will break/crack.

5. Adjust the final pull weight to minimum of 1.0kg (hex screw in front of the trigger). Use loktite on the screw.

Always have sufficient gap in between first and second stage pull, first stage should be approx. half of the final pull weight (0.5/1.0kg, 0.6/1.2kg etc.). If the two weights are set too close the cocking corners will get rounded and the weapon will not stay properly cocked causing hard and long single stage pull like you described.

6. After adjusting the pull weight check the functioning of the safety. Cock the rifle and pull safety on ->bolt handle will not come up and trigger will only move the first stage travel.

Push the safety off and dry fire the rifle. Try pulling the safety on -> safety should bounce back to the front position and not stay on. If the safety engages when rifle is not cocked the safety lever inside the trigger unit is worn or too loose and should be re-tightened properly. Have trained gunsmith do this!

Do not over lubricate the internal parts of the trigger unit; small amount of very thin synthetic oil or dry lube will do the trick.

Two of the most common mistakes causing problems:

Improper adjustment of the first and second stage pull set too close to each other will wear the internal parts.

Assembling of the trigger unit to the rifle with the bolt in place will immediately break the internal parts.

Hope this helps and you'll get the trigger operational again?

If you're not able to adjust the trigger properly have the cocking corners in the trigger unit checked, they may be damaged already and the pull weight will not adjust properly...

When you set the final pull weight to 2lbs you have to adjust the first stage also to 1lb. I they are too close it will wear out and will become that 15-22lbs again.

You shouldn't go below that 1kg on the second stage or the thing you just described will definately happen. OK for some time but after a while will get very heavy.

I've seen some triggers adjusted to less than 1lb but this will require replacement of some internal springs and lots of fine tuning and polishing. NOT recommended unless you're a gunsmith and know exactly what you're doing.

I'd stick with that 1.0kg and over. All of the guns (TRGs)I usually shoot a pretty much set to 1.5kg. Not too light and not too heavy...and remember; If you play with second stage weight always do the same thing with the first stage!
Hi everyone, sorry if I re-open this old post. I read the instructions, they were very helpful, thank you. I have a new version TRG 22 (post 2013 trigger), and I purchased an old version trigger (pre 2013), to be able to adjust the first and second stages. I brought the first to half of the total weight, it works fine. I only have one doubt: does the trigger, in this older model, after unloading the hammer, not move? In the new trigger it also moves when unloaded or after a shoot, practically like the first stage. Here, however, with the rifle unloaded, the trigger remains stationary. Is this normal or is there some incorrect adjustment?

Hi everyone, sorry if I re-open this old post. I read the instructions, they were very helpful, thank you. I have a new version TRG 22 (post 2013 trigger), and I purchased an old version trigger (pre 2013), to be able to adjust the first and second stages. I brought the first to half of the total weight, it works fine. I only have one doubt: does the trigger, in this older model, after unloading the hammer, not move? In the new trigger it also moves when unloaded or after a shoot, practically like the first stage. Here, however, with the rifle unloaded, the trigger remains stationary. Is this normal or is there some incorrect adjustment?
When you say unloading do you mean "reset"? I'll pull my TRG's out and look tonight if I don't get skull drug into my normal craziness.

Just grabbed mine. The pic without the ruler is in the cocked position one pic is with the ruler in the cocked position and one is in the fired position. There is some movement in the post fired state, maybe .125 inches but nothing near like the first stage in the cocked position. Hope this helps.
IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0887.jpeg

Reactions: Fenix and stefan73
Just grabbed mine. The pic without the ruler is in the cocked position one pic is with the ruler in the cocked position and one is in the fired position. There is some movement in the post fired state, maybe .125 inches but nothing near like the first stage in the cocked position. Hope this helps.View attachment 8232633View attachment 8232634View attachment 8232635
I should have worded that differently. The first stage is nonexistent in the fired state. There is about .125 inches of rearward travel in the uncocked state.

Reactions: stefan73
Yes, you're right, I'll explain better too. If I remove the bolt, both triggers have a long, smooth movement comparable to the first stage. In the old version, when the hammer is down, the trigger practically does not move; while with the new version after you shoot it has practically the same movement as when there is no bolt. Maybe at evening I'll recover the triggers and try to measure, if it can be more clear.
It could also be all ok, I just have no experience with the old trigger and I don't have a comparison with another "born old" Sako.

Reactions: .505gibbs